Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Non-QB options for 2013 #1 overall pick
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Non-QB options for 2013 #1 overall pick Reply with quote

Obviously quarterbacks like Matt Barkley and Geno Smith will likely get mentioned as candidates for the #1 overall pick in the 2013 draft, but what non-quarterbacks do you think have a legitimate projection as being candidates for the #1 overall pick?

If a team like Cleveland or Jacksonville end up with the #1 pick do you think either could give up on the incumbent and start the cycle over again and select either Barkley or Smith?

What players have the best shot of challenging Barkley or Smith for the #1 pick if a team is sitting there and already has a quarterback?

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Barkevious Mingo shows up at the combine in the 255lbs range and shows the athleticism that is expected of him he has a shot of going #1 but it would have to be a team who are desperate for pass rush help otherwise we would most likely see a trade down.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
If Barkevious Mingo shows up at the combine in the 255lbs range and shows the athleticism that is expected of him he has a shot of going #1 but it would have to be a team who are desperate for pass rush help otherwise we would most likely see a trade down.

You bring up Mingo and he is an interesting possibility. I have seen Mingo and his teammate Sam Montgomery mentioned as potential #1 overall picks. Obviously there is still quite a bit of football left to play this college season, but despite Mingo's impressive raw physical skill set, shouldn't he be making more of an impact so far this season? I think the same goes for Montgomery to a much lesser extent though.

I am not saying I don't think either Mingo is a quality prospect, but I do think at some point to be considered a potential #1 overall pick you have to have a combination of physical talent and production at the college level.

Is Mingo being used differently from last year?

Personally, out of the two LSU defenders, I think Montgomery has more of a chance of grading out higher as a potential #1 pick.

Thoughts?

Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

You bring up Mingo and he is an interesting possibility. I have seen Mingo and his teammate Sam Montgomery mentioned as potential #1 overall picks. Obviously there is still quite a bit of football left to play this college season, but despite Mingo's impressive raw physical skill set, shouldn't he be making more of an impact so far this season? I think the same goes for Montgomery to a much lesser extent though.

I am not saying I don't think either Mingo is a quality prospect, but I do think at some point to be considered a potential #1 overall pick you have to have a combination of physical talent and production at the college level.

Is Mingo being used differently from last year?

Personally, out of the two LSU defenders, I think Montgomery has more of a chance of grading out higher as a potential #1 pick.

Thoughts?

I think Montgomery is a better football player at this point…but I think someone will fall in love with Mingo’s upside…

In terms of production this season Mingo is only credited with 1 sack & 2 TFL…but he also is credited with 7 QB pressures…LSU currently has the joint 3rd highest number of INTs in the country…so as much as Mingo, Montgomery & the rest of the front 4 aren't getting many sacks they are forcing bad throws with the pressure they are able to produce.
Reality_Check

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barkley wont even be the second QB taken, let alone the top pick.

As for non QBs; Jones- the LB out of Georgia, the LSU D linemen, the DT from Utah, perhaps one of the WRs Keenan Allen, etc...
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an OT good enough to go #1 overall? That is usually the next position to go #1 if no QB is worth it.

I am not watching many prospect closely this year except DEs, however, Luke Joeckel has caught my eye. He has been a stone wall when I have watched Alex Okafor, Jackson Jeffcoat, Sam Montgomery and Barkevious Mingo. Those are 4 of the highest rated pass rushers in the draft and he has shut them down with ease.

I would pay close attention later this season when he plays Lemonier then Mingo and Montgomery again. Also see how he handles Alabama's from 7. If he steps up to shut those guys down and has big games then has a good combine his stock could soar.

All that being said I don't know anything about him I don't know what his physical abilities are as far as what will impress the scouts or allow him to put up numbers at the combine. I do know from what I have seen he can flat out play and he does it against elite competition.

Jamison on the sig
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
Is there an OT good enough to go #1 overall? That is usually the next position to go #1 if no QB is worth it.

I am not watching many prospect closely this year except DEs, however, Luke Joeckel has caught my eye. He has been a stone wall when I have watched Alex Okafor, Jackson Jeffcoat, Sam Montgomery and Barkevious Mingo. Those are 4 of the highest rated pass rushers in the draft and he has shut them down with ease.

I would pay close attention later this season when he plays Lemonier then Mingo and Montgomery again. Also see how he handles Alabama's from 7. If he steps up to shut those guys down and has big games then has a good combine his stock could soar.

All that being said I don't know anything about him I don't know what his physical abilities are as far as what will impress the scouts or allow him to put up numbers at the combine. I do know from what I have seen he can flat out play and he does it against elite competition.

Watched A&M Saturday. Joeckel's good but I honestly think Matthews is the better overall player. Jake Matthews is gonna be a good one.

Taylor Lewan will go somewhere high, top 10 I'm sure.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
KamTrus20 wrote:

Watched A&M Saturday. Joeckel's good but I honestly think Matthews is the better overall player. Jake Matthews is gonna be a good one.

Taylor Lewan will go somewhere high, top 10 I'm sure.

Have not watched A&M this year so it is very well possible Matthews has surpased Joeckel. Both of them were very impressive in the games I watched last year but Joeckel was more consistant.

Jamison on the sig
Bo_Spice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keke Mingo's athleticism and upside are going to have NFL scouts drooling over him especially after he tears up the combine. But can he really go number one overall with his production this season, or lack there of? I mean one total sack against North Texas, Washington, Idaho, Auburn, and Townson isn't that impressive.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
Keke Mingo's athleticism and upside are going to have NFL scouts drooling over him especially after he tears up the combine. But can he really go number one overall with his production this season, or lack there of? I mean one total sack against North Texas, Washington, Idaho, Auburn, and Townson isn't that impressive.

That was kind of my point in responding to Mingo's name. I get the whole "starters get pulled" in the cream puff games but I would anticipate some more production from Mingo than what you had mentioned. Guys like Cornellius Carradine and Bjoern Werner have been productive during the cream puff early portion of their schedule and that is the production I would anticipate from players like Mingo and Montgomery.

MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Lotulelei possibly, the fact he is so huge so strong and yet so quick. Drawing the comparisons to Haloti Ngata. He is so versatile that any team would love him. Other wise a 3-4 team will be in love with Jarvis Jones.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
SappDaddyDance

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the team:

Jones from UGA is an absolute monster on the defensive side and has the potential to be Demarcus Ware type player on a 3-4 team i.e. Colts if they pick first again, possibly the chiefs (although they have a glaring need for QB).

I could see a team looking at Manti Te'o first overall as he is a complete middle linebacker and could be one of the safer number one overall picks out there.

Or the third choice as everyone had which is Mingro from LSU (I don't know much about him so I won't make any opinions)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a team isn't taking a QB @ #1 then they already have their Fran QB...so the next pick would be LT. Most likely Jake Matthews.
Remixxxxxxx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect Justin Hunter to rip the combine up, could be him[the knee injury could hurt him though].
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sherm wrote:
If a team isn't taking a QB @ #1 then they already have their Fran QB...so the next pick would be LT. Most likely Jake Matthews.

He doesn't even play LT now, and he's not a Tyron Smith type guy. Lewan and Joeckel are definitely higher up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: