Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

3 positives and 3 negatives from Week 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark sanchez

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: 3 positives and 3 negatives from Week 1 Reply with quote

Self-explanatory, I'm trying to get a feel for the goods and bads of all the teams so far.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Ravens:

Positives:
- Joe Flacco and the hurry-up offense
- Pass Rush
- Justin Tucker replacing Billy Cundiff

Negatives:
- Rush defense
- #2 corner play
- LG/RT play

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
For the Ravens:

Positives:
- Pass Rush

Negatives:
- Rush defense
- #2 corner play
- LG/RT play

Pass rush? I didn't think we were very impressive with that at all.

I'd go...

Positives:
No huddle offense allowing Flacco to audible at the line
Spreading the ball around
Justin Tucker

Negatives:
Interior OL pass protection
Rush defense
Pass Rush from OLBs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to agree with Flaccomania. Justin Tucker putting the first points on the board was huge for him and this team.

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
Goon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Positives

-no huddle offense and Flacco

-Upshaw looking really good

-the play action pass looking the best I've ever seen from Flacco

Negatives

-Birk was on his [inappropriate/removed] multiple times

-Kruger looked lost

-cornerbacks with size,physical skills and speed playing off and allowing soft completions.

Props to NS922!
ceejay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
For the Ravens:

Positives:
- Pass Rush

Negatives:
- Rush defense
- #2 corner play
- LG/RT play

Pass rush? I didn't think we were very impressive with that at all.

I'd go...

Positives:
No huddle offense allowing Flacco to audible at the line
Spreading the ball around
Justin Tucker

Negatives:
Interior OL pass protection
Rush defense
Pass Rush from OLBs

Grow up man, seriously. The guy is just trying to explain himself. To attack him? Come on.

EDIT: bla bla bla, trying not to sound like an idiot. bla bla blaaaa

SNA

If it wasn't for Haloti, our pass rush would not have looked as good. I'm hoping this week we work out a little more of the kinks.

I would go,

Positives

Ray Lewis looking like an X-Men
Jacoby Jones stepping up
Oher at LT

Negatives

3rd Down D
Run D
Our D Being Exposed with Quick Slants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lazy so I'll just quote the three most important observations I made from what I posted in another thread.

Positives:

Quote:

Play-calling - Cameron called a good game offensively. What? I know right. This style of game-plan needs to be an every week kind of thing. I was surprised they didn't run it more late in the game but this was a decent opportunity to practice for other games that are closer. Taking the foot off the pedal was something a lot of us didn't like in the past and this might be the start of a new trend. I liked what Pees did too for the most part. He's definitely not as vanilla as advertised and it looks like he made some good adjustments in the second half to get the pass-rush going.

Quote:
Flacco - He had some moments last night to remind you that he's still Joe Flacco but I think he looked better last night than he did most of last season and you can definitely see the improvements he's made that everybody was talking about. It's not like every other QB in the league makes a few bad decisions or has bad plays every game either. Although it's not quite the same in the secondary the Bengals defense has been one of the toughest challenges for Flacco in the past but he played well against them last night. I don't doubt that the expanded offensive scheme and the addition of another guy that has some speed at WR (more on him later) helps but Flacco was still able to take advantage of it.

Quote:
Running game - I was worried that Rice might have a harder time running out of more single-back sets but he was good-great as usual. There isn't another RB in the league that I'd rather have (maybe a homer statement maybe not) and he fits everything the Ravens are doing on offense. Pierce and Allen were able to pick up a few yards when they carried the ball too, I really liked what I saw from the run-blocking.

Negatives:

Quote:
Pass-rush - It picked up in the second half but before that it wasn't good when they didn't call a blitz. Of course that's not a big surprise when you have McClellan at RUSH with some combination of Ngata/Kemoeatu/Cody/Jones/McPhee as the other guys going after the QB. Need more Kruger rushing the passer.

Quote:
Run-defense - Like everybody else I'm a bit worried about how the Bengals were able to consistently pick up first downs in short-yardage situations. I didn't see the Green-Ellis TD but on a lot of the other situations I noticed that both Lewis and McClain were quite a ways back from the LOS and that might have had something to do with it. Green-Ellis is the type of runner that has success against the Ravens defense but it's still something to keep an eye on. Setting the edge on either side didn't appear to be much of a problem but we'll get a better feel on that when Baltimore plays a team that utilizes more outside runs.

Off-coverage - I thought the secondary did a decent job in this game but I don't like the amount of time they spent in non-press coverage. With Webb it's alright but Smith and Williams are both much more suited to getting a jam on the WR and Pees/secondary coach/whoever is responsible should exploit that more.
ceejay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
I'm lazy so I'll just quote the three most important observations I made from what I posted in another thread.

Positives:

Quote:

Play-calling - Cameron called a good game offensively. What? I know right. This style of game-plan needs to be an every week kind of thing. I was surprised they didn't run it more late in the game but this was a decent opportunity to practice for other games that are closer. Taking the foot off the pedal was something a lot of us didn't like in the past and this might be the start of a new trend. I liked what Pees did too for the most part. He's definitely not as vanilla as advertised and it looks like he made some good adjustments in the second half to get the pass-rush going.

Quote:
Flacco - He had some moments last night to remind you that he's still Joe Flacco but I think he looked better last night than he did most of last season and you can definitely see the improvements he's made that everybody was talking about. It's not like every other QB in the league makes a few bad decisions or has bad plays every game either. Although it's not quite the same in the secondary the Bengals defense has been one of the toughest challenges for Flacco in the past but he played well against them last night. I don't doubt that the expanded offensive scheme and the addition of another guy that has some speed at WR (more on him later) helps but Flacco was still able to take advantage of it.

Quote:
Running game - I was worried that Rice might have a harder time running out of more single-back sets but he was good-great as usual. There isn't another RB in the league that I'd rather have (maybe a homer statement maybe not) and he fits everything the Ravens are doing on offense. Pierce and Allen were able to pick up a few yards when they carried the ball too, I really liked what I saw from the run-blocking.

Negatives:

Quote:
Pass-rush - It picked up in the second half but before that it wasn't good when they didn't call a blitz. Of course that's not a big surprise when you have McClellan at RUSH with some combination of Ngata/Kemoeatu/Cody/Jones/McPhee as the other guys going after the QB. Need more Kruger rushing the passer.

Quote:
Run-defense - Like everybody else I'm a bit worried about how the Bengals were able to consistently pick up first downs in short-yardage situations. I didn't see the Green-Ellis TD but on a lot of the other situations I noticed that both Lewis and McClain were quite a ways back from the LOS and that might have had something to do with it. Green-Ellis is the type of runner that has success against the Ravens defense but it's still something to keep an eye on. Setting the edge on either side didn't appear to be much of a problem but we'll get a better feel on that when Baltimore plays a team that utilizes more outside runs.

Off-coverage - I thought the secondary did a decent job in this game but I don't like the amount of time they spent in non-press coverage. With Webb it's alright but Smith and Williams are both much more suited to getting a jam on the WR and Pees/secondary coach/whoever is responsible should exploit that more.

Mod this man.

Damn! Great post and breakdown my friend

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got 4 sacks IIRC, not sure why people aren't happy with that.

No, the sacks didn't come from our OLB's like we'd like them to, but it was still decent and honestly I couldn't think of another positive.

I guess I should have said "Haloti Ngata's pass rushing"

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

No, the sacks didn't come from our OLB's like we'd like them to, but it was still decent and honestly I couldn't think of another positive.

Yes 4 sacks is correct, but the problem with the pass rush is this: we didn't get consistent pressure from it. Which led to a lot of those 3rd and short runs they had with BJGE. And in the second half when the pressure started to pick up it was the direct result of blitzes. Now the good thing about the calls is that they were efficient- when we stunted or did corner blitzes etc. We tended to finish with sacks more often than not. But we consistently couldn't create pressure without dialing it up. And if our corner play doesn't improve that won't be a recipe for success down the road when teams start to figure out our blitz packages. We need guys to get create pressure from 1on1s/organically.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Yes 4 sacks is correct, but the problem with the pass rush is this: we didn't get consistent pressure from it. Which led to a lot of those 3rd and short runs they had with BJGE. And in the second half when the pressure started to pick up it was the direct result of blitzes. Now the good thing about the calls is that they were efficient- when we stunted or did corner blitzes etc. We tended to finish with sacks more often than not. But we consistently couldn't create pressure without dialing it up. And if our corner play doesn't improve that won't be a recipe for success down the road when teams start to figure out our blitz packages. We need guys to get create pressure from 1on1s/organically.

As well, 3/4 sacks came when we were firmly in the lead in the 4th quarter, so we know they're going to be passing. I'd much rather see a solid pass rush earlier in the game that may assist with actually changing the outcome, rather than just a pass rush when we're just trying to close it out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: