Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Does it worry you when...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Does it worry you when... Reply with quote

Does it worry you when....?

1) There are a bunch of highly-rated prospects from the same school, in the same draft class? For example, this year Georgia has a lot of defensive prospects, including DT Jonathan Jenkins, LBs Alex Ogeltree and Jarvis Jones, and S Baccarri Rambo? (there may be better examples). It makes me wonder how much of their accolades are self-achieved, and how much are a product of talented teammates.

2) A certain school seems to produce the "top talent" at a certain position year in and year out? (Alabama comes to mind with their running backs Ingram, Trent Richardson and now Lacy). It makes me wonder how much is a product of the system (and superior OL play).
Donut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1). No it doesnt. You have to watch what they're asked to do and how it'll translate. Some guys you can see clearly benfitting from top talent and others dont. The accolades dont matter to me much(case by case thing) but you can see on film imo.

2). Lacy to me is best back in class and does benefit from his OL. But I hated Ingram as a prospect. Richardson imo was clearly a better back. Sometimes it is because the talent in front like an OL but recruit better players they're proven to produce and coach them well. We all look at certain schools for certain guys.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
1). No it doesnt. You have to watch what they're asked to do and how it'll translate. Some guys you can see clearly benfitting from top talent and others dont. The accolades dont matter to me much(case by case thing) but you can see on film imo.

You are absolutely correct.

On the second, I do think program pedigree is important. Texas, for example, is a DB factory and most of their DBs drafted go on to have productive NFL careers. Case in point, I think Kenny Vacarro is going to be an exceptional S in the NFL.

But what's important is looking at how players from a certain school produce in the NFL. USC has great college WRs but how many of them have become stars in the NFL? Same for that school's QBs. Conversely, Boston College, Wisconsin and Virgina usually produce quality lineman.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alabama players ARE overrated though. That team has so many dominant players on it that all players look better than they actually are. Case and point: Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson, Marcel Dareus, James Carpenter, Andre Smith, Kareem Jackson and Rolando McClain, just to name "a few"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does worry we sometimes. The Alabama example is a good one. I believe Saban gets the most out of his defense and at times makes them look better than they are.

Some schools do have success at certain positions. When I think of Penn State I think linebackers. When I think of Tennessee, for a while it was wideouts, then running backs and dlineman. Texas, as AAA eluded to, has been great on db's. When I think of offensive lineman I think of Boston College and Michigan.

There are a lot of trends that pop up over time. Maybe it is the Jarvis Moss experience but When I think of d-lineman from Florida, I get a sick feeling in my gut.
jonnyj20

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:

But what's important is looking at how players from a certain school produce in the NFL. USC has great college WRs but how many of them have become stars in the NFL? Same for that school's QBs. Conversely, Boston College, Wisconsin and Virgina usually produce quality lineman.

Yup, I would say my Utes are a Dlineman factory. With 8 dlineman in the league already and at least 2 more set to be drafted this year. But you won't find a lot of skill players coming out of here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when it comes to Georgia players specifically in that class John Jenkins is overrated but some other guys are not like Shawn Williams and cornelius Washington are Underrated players but get overlooked. The uga duo st safety are going to be Good safeties in this league. Jarvis jones is rated about where he should be Baccari Rambo is the second best safety in the class and Alec ogletree will make a couple pro bowls. Just have to look at the players individually

Props to Jamison on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: