You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 3: New York Giants (1-1) v. Carolina Panthers (1-1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carolina_Champ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like their RT David Diehl is going to be out too. I like match up of our receivers against their secondary.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we can contain Nicks and Cruz and the defensive line, I would feel really confident about a win.

I really want to see Cam have a huge game in primetime and assert himself as a top QB in the league since the spots are wide open.
Moody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Giants are going to be a huge test in a short week. I really don't like Thursday night games. So little time to prepare and heal...

Here's a quote that'll make you excited:

Quote:
Joe Person ‏@josephperson
#Panthers QB Cam Newton says rookie CB Josh Norman is "skyrocketing" and his potential is "through the roof."

Literally brought a smile to my face. I read an article about Captain being mad that he lost his #2 job earlier and I kept thinking how the bigger story is that a 5th round rookie took his job. I don't get why Munnerlyn is angry, he is so much better in the nickel and he doesn't lose that much playing time. I'd rather be in a position that fits than be consistently targeted because of match ups.

Hopefully the secondary can do well again against the lethal Cruz/Nicks combo.
Panthers11

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pride/ego thing for Munnerlyn, Moody.
so excited about Norman's potential.
This is such a great opportunity for this team to take the next step.

JF16 Forever
Gmen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few thoughts on the game...

The Giants defense is built to stop the plethora of pass heavy teams in the NFL. The Panthers running offense can throw a serious wrench into the Giants usual game plan. I'm especially worried about linemen getting out of their rush lanes and Newton scrambling for big chunks of yards. I have him in 4 money leagues, and I'm sticking with him even though he's going up against my Giants.

Don't look at the Giants injuries as an advantage. I feel that the injuries to Deihl and Bradshaw are a bit of a blessing in disguise, and plenty of Giants fans agree with me. Not surprising that the running game suddenly showed signs of life when the two were injured. Looking forward to seeing the Andre Brown / David Wilson 1-2 punch. Not quite as glamorous as the Stewart / Williams combo, but whatever Laughing .

How good are your cornerbacks? Aqib Talib, who I thought was supposed to be a pretty good corner, was embarrassed by Nicks. Eli is #1 in passing yards, Nicks and Cruz and #1 and #2 in receiving yards. Looking at the names in your secondary, I think double coverage may be the only way to go. Could be a shootout.

All that said, the winner of this game is going to be the team that doesn't come out flat after only 4 days rest. I'm not particularly confident that it's going to be the Giants. This game could go either way.

scar988 wrote:
I'm of the belief the best QB in NY right now (July 2017) is Geno Smith.

SMH
iknowcool

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
How good are your cornerbacks? Aqib Talib, who I thought was supposed to be a pretty good corner, was embarrassed by Nicks. Eli is #1 in passing yards, Nicks and Cruz and #1 and #2 in receiving yards. Looking at the names in your secondary, I think double coverage may be the only way to go. Could be a shootout.

Gamble should be able to contain whoever is lined up across from him for the most part - obviously they'll still get theirs like any good player but he will hold his own. Norman on Cruz and Nicks will be something to look out for; Norman has looked very good but obviously is still inexperienced and isn't likely going to be able to stop either one of those receivers on a consistent basis. Cruz in the slot against Munnerlyn is a nightmare.

I'm not confident in Carolina. Just can't see our offensive line slowing down New York's defensive line and Newton doesn't make the best decisions when he's pressured with only a four man front. On the otherhand, he's lethal whenever a team tries to blitz him.
Zithers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNPs from today... my god...

byron bell (ankle)
thomas davis (hammy)
mike pollak (shoulder)
jonathan stewart (ankle)
colin jones (no idea)

rivera says that they might all be game time decisions. smitty, kalil, gross, pilares, and beason were limited but not worried about them missing. i guess frank kearse got over his sickness which probably means sione fua will go back to being inactive.

someone did a summary of a sirius xm interview rivera did and this is what he had to say:

Quote:
1. Olsen is tired of hearing that he doesn't block and has improved greatly as evidenced by his block on Will Smith which opened the hole for Cam's TD run. He is coming in at 7:30 and attending a pre-meeting with the OL before his regular TE meeting.

2. Hardy is finally starting to come into his own and has a chance to be very valuable. He has played the 1,3,5,7, and 9 technique in the games and this versatility gives us a lot of options

3. Norman has long arms and long legs, but his best attribute is his field of vision. He is already good at press coverage and knocking receivers off their routes. If he keeps improving at the the current rate, he will be very valuable by the end of the year.

4. We ran 5 no huddle in the the 1st game and 7 last week. We will continue to expand on this because not only do we keep the D with the same personnel but our personnel groups are so versatile that we can go from 12 to 21 to 11 with the same players on the field.

5. LaFell has become a solid #2 receiver and he compared him to Malcolm Floyd and Chris Chambers. Getting Naanee last year built a fire under him and instead of complaining, he went to work and improved so much that we let Naanee go.

also, possibly relevant stat: sean mcdermott was 4-0 against the giants as philly's DC. really though, we're screwed if we have to miss some of those DNPs. colin jones has been huge for us. i can't believe he tackled sproles in the open field on that one return. would have been a sure touchdown if that happened last season. i would really prefer bell, TD, and stew to play.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of those DNPs, Davis is probably the one least needed to come back on a short week (though I certainly hope he can play). Stewart still has that same ankle injury, so it's no surprise he didn't practice. The right side of our OLine is bad enough already; hopefully Bell can go.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
boondock

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
Of those DNPs, Davis is probably the one least needed to come back on a short week (though I certainly hope he can play). Stewart still has that same ankle injury, so it's no surprise he didn't practice. The right side of our OLine is bad enough already; hopefully Bell can go.

I think they will keep a TE back to help that right side of the Oline, much like they did in the Saints game. One of the main reasons that Olsen didn't have a large performance and the running game got drastically better.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
panther dude wrote:
Anyone else afraid of the Falcons after these first two weeks? Confused
They're looking quite good.

Yes, yes they are. However, their secondary is really shook up with injuries.

Plus consider, they played KC who got thumped by Buffalo and Denver with a still shaky Peyton Manning at the helm.

Not denying their greatness at all, let's just take a look at who they have played.

In all fairness, this goes both ways. Cam's very questionable decisions leading to turnovers in week 1, virtually no rushing attack and tallying 10 pts vs. a team that just got lit up for 41 and over 600 total yards against your opponent this week. A week 2 win vs. what appears to be the worst defense in football thus far.

Atlanta is far and away the class of that division. While I think the Giants win because they are the better team and will force Cam to make some mistakes, I would like to see you guys pull out a win. Good luck!

big_palooka wrote:

Call me a troll if you must.
boondock

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnylongfella wrote:
boondock wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
panther dude wrote:
Anyone else afraid of the Falcons after these first two weeks? Confused
They're looking quite good.

Yes, yes they are. However, their secondary is really shook up with injuries.

Plus consider, they played KC who got thumped by Buffalo and Denver with a still shaky Peyton Manning at the helm.

Not denying their greatness at all, let's just take a look at who they have played.

In all fairness, this goes both ways. Cam's very questionable decisions leading to turnovers in week 1, virtually no rushing attack and tallying 10 pts vs. a team that just got lit up for 41 and over 600 total yards against your opponent this week. A week 2 win vs. what appears to be the worst defense in football thus far.

I'm right there with you. Teams usually do not find their true identity until the 4-5th week of the season. Teams attack differently, We don't have as strong a passing attack as NY does, therefore TB sold out to stop the run.

Also, consider NY was coming from behind for the majority of that game, they had to throw the ball to get back in the game, thus why the number of yards was through the roof. We experienced the same thing with Cam last year, we were playing from behind in our first 2 games, Cam went for over 400 yards in both games. Games that we won, Cam was in the 250-300 range.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Zithers"]
someone did a summary of a sirius xm interview rivera did and this is what he had to say:

Quote:
1. Olsen is tired of hearing that he doesn't block and has improved greatly as evidenced by his block on Will Smith which opened the hole for Cam's TD run. He is coming in at 7:30 and attending a pre-meeting with the OL before his regular TE meeting.

I assumed that Olsen's lack of receptions and the improved line play were connected and it looks like I was right. We need him to become a more complete TE and it's good he's working on it.
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hakeem Nicks is out, thats huge for us. Gamble takes care of Cruz, and I heard that their #3 is also out, so Munnerlyn/Norman should be able to take care of the rest of their receivers. Plus Bradshaw is out, so they're down to Andre Brown and Fumble Wilson.

I posted pretty much this same thing in NFL Gen, but I think if Byron Bell and help (Olsen/Tolbert) can hold down the right side in pass rush, I think we come out with a 7 point win, about 24-17.
ericr0319

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we want to be a contender this is a must win early, esp with all the injuries the giants have. our defense really needs to step up this game.
TommyC376

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just popping in to say that Hakeem Nicks is OUT for tomorrows game.

Also, I LOVE CAM NEWTON.

Its funny how Carolina has 2 of my favorite players on their team (Newton, S. Smith).

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: