Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My honest opinion of Reggie Bush
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phinmun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpticon wrote:
Why would Thomas hinder the Dolphins from resigning Bush?

We have to consider Thomas' contract. He's what, a 2nd round pick? That's appreciable money for any player, especially one with health and fumbling issues who's in danger of falling to 3rd on the depth chart at his postion.

If Lamar Miller outplays Daniel Thomas, then it would make sense to move forward with only Miller considering that Thomas would be a waste of money.

If a light came on for Daniel Thomas and he and Miller looked outstanding then potentially Bush would be let go because of Bush's high price-tag. I DO NOT envision that happening but it's a hypothetical answer to your question.

If Daniel Thomas was a late-round pick his production wouldn't matter as much but since that's not the case his production must be weighed against his salary and right now it's looking like between Bush, Thomas and Miller, there's going to be an odd man out.

Bush is highly productive.
Miller looks to be productive and affordable.
Thomas looks expendable.

Simple as that.
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
Warpticon wrote:

We have to consider Thomas' contract. He's what, a 2nd round pick? That's appreciable money for any player, especially one with health and fumbling issues who's in danger of falling to 3rd on the depth chart at his postion.

If Lamar Miller outplays Daniel Thomas, then it would make sense to move forward with only Miller considering that Thomas would be a waste of money.

If a light came on for Daniel Thomas and he and Miller looked outstanding then potentially Bush would be let go because of Bush's high price-tag. I DO NOT envision that happening but it's a hypothetical answer to your question.

If Daniel Thomas was a late-round pick his production wouldn't matter as much but since that's not the case his production must be weighed against his salary and right now it's looking like between Bush, Thomas and Miller, there's going to be an odd man out.

Thomas looks expendable.

Simple as that.

You said it much better than me. Worded so much better than i did lol.

Daniel Thomas has potential but I don't know that he fits the system. This offense isn't going to focus on running the ball a lot. Bush and Miller are both guys that split out wide. I'm not so sure that Daniel Thomas can.

I wouldn't mind keeping all three either.

UniversalAuthor
phinmun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagasse67 wrote:
phinmun wrote:
Warpticon wrote:

Thomas looks expendable.

Simple as that.

Daniel Thomas has potential but I don't know that he fits the system. This offense isn't going to focus on running the ball a lot. Bush and Miller are both guys that split out wide. I'm not so sure that Daniel Thomas can.

I am sitting here spinning all this Jeff Ireland stuff so positively I'm not sure what the hell reality looks like anymore, but I can tell you what that Daniel Thomas pick was right now.

We straight up needed a runningback but we straight up didn't have enough picks to get a good one. We panicked after all these other (better) RBs came off the board and finally jumped up to get one before they all disappeared. We HAD to come away from that draft with a RB in case Reggie Bush went down. We knew we needed someone who could handle a serious number of snaps however so we couldn't just grab someone in the late rounds.

The problem was we didn't want to invest a really high pick because we already knew that Reggie Bush was our #1 guy but we couldn't afford to wait around with the number of backs that were coming off the board so we pushed the right buttons and essentially bought the best one available; a guy with some upside but also someone who, as much as the NFL is concerned, is an incomplete player.

I feel sorry for Ireland because he was hand-cuffed by a unique draft situation where we had to reach and unfortunately it looks like the player isn't going to do enough to bail the team/GM out.

People might point to that and blame Ireland but not having a 2nd round pick to get a more solid RB candidate was a consequence of bringing in Brandon Marshall and quite frankly most people were for that move including myself. Nobody saw that run on runningbacks in the second round. We were forced to make a move we didn't want to make.

I'm rooting for Daniel Thomas but nothing about him says he's a destined for a great NFL career. I don't like his lack of power. I don't like his upright running style. I don't like his injury concerns. I don't like his fumbling issues. I don't like the fact that blitz pickup and receiving are going to be this guys upside yet those are still not elements of the game we've seen from him.

I am not really that much of a Daniel Thomas fan. I'll be straight up. You'll probably read me making comments defending the guy at times but overall I think we lost out on several better commodities and wound up settling for this guy who isn't really great at anything and is way too much of a project to have been taken as highly as he was.

Last edited by phinmun on Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
phinmun wrote:
Warpticon wrote:

Thomas looks expendable.

Simple as that.

I am sitting here spinning all this Jeff Ireland stuff so positively I'm not sure what the hell reality looks like anymore, but I can tell you what that Daniel Thomas pick was right now.

We straight up needed a runningback but we straight up didn't have enough picks to get a good one. We panicked after all these other (better) RBs came off the board and finally jumped up to get one before they all disappeared. We HAD to come away from that draft with a RB in case Reggie Bush went down. We knew we needed someone who could handle a serious number of snaps however so we couldn't just grab someone in the late rounds.

The problem was we didn't want to invest a really high pick but we couldn't afford to wait around with the number of backs that were coming off the board so we pushed the right buttons and essentially bought the best one available; a guy with some upside but also someone who, as much as the NFL is concerned, is an incomplete player.

I'm rooting for Daniel Thomas but nothing about him says he's a destined for a great NFL career. I don't like his lack of power. I don't like his upright running style. I don't like his injury concerns. I don't like his fumbling issues. I don't like the fact that blitz pickup and receiving are going to be this guys upside yet those are still not elements of the game we've seen from him.

I am not really that much of a Daniel Thomas fan. I'll be straight up. You'll probably read me making comments defending the guy at times but overall I think we lost out on several better commodities and wound up settling for this guy who isn't really great at anything and is way too much of a project to have been taken as highly as he was.

I was ticked, that we didn't get Ryan Williams. I am happy that we ended up drafting Lamar Miller in the 4th. Lamar Miller and David Wilson were very similar running backs and we ended up with the better value.

I think you are right about Thomas. I think he is a talented back but i'm not sure that he fits what we are going to anyway.

UniversalAuthor
phinmun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagasse67 wrote:
phinmun wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
phinmun wrote:
Warpticon wrote:

Thomas looks expendable.

Simple as that.

The problem was we didn't want to invest a really high pick but we couldn't afford to wait around with the number of backs that were coming off the board so we pushed the right buttons and essentially bought the best one available; a guy with some upside but also someone who, as much as the NFL is concerned, is an incomplete player.

I was ticked, that we didn't get Ryan Williams. I am happy that we ended up drafting Lamar Miller in the 4th. Lamar Miller and David Wilson were very similar running backs and we ended up with the better value.

I think you are right about Thomas. I think he is a talented back but i'm not sure that he fits what we are going to anyway.

What exactly do you mean by him not fitting? I don't really think he's dependable in the way that an NFL RB needs to be. What kind of a system do you see him fitting in hypothetically-speaking? I saw the Jets forum talking very positively about him. Some guys over there were suggesting that trying to trade us something for him would be a good move.

A RB with decent size, above-average speed, who can catch and block seems like the perfect thing for our offense. I would love Daniel Thomas if I thought more highly of him in general. I think his skill-set is very good for this offense but I simply don't see him living up to his potential.

It might be interesting to see if Miami could get anything of value for him if Bush & Miller wind up as our two guys.
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
phinmun wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
phinmun wrote:
Warpticon wrote:

Thomas looks expendable.

Simple as that.

What exactly do you mean by him not fitting? I don't really think he's dependable in the way that an NFL RB needs to be. What kind of a system do you see him fitting in hypothetically-speaking? I saw the Jets forum talking very positively about him. Some guys over there were suggesting that trying to trade us something for him would be a good move.

A RB with decent size, above-average speed, who can catch and block seems like the perfect thing for our offense. I would love Daniel Thomas if I thought more highly of him in general. I think his skill-set is very good for this offense but I simply don't see him living up to his potential.

It might be interesting to see if Miami could get anything of value for him if Bush & Miller wind up as our two guys.

Daniel Thomas skill set is similar to Peyton Hillis. Big and strong RB that is agile for his size. he isn't as good but he fits the same mold. I think Thomas could be good in a man blocking or power blocking scheme.

UniversalAuthor
phinmun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagasse67 wrote:

Daniel Thomas skill set is similar to Peyton Hillis. Big and strong RB that is agile for his size. he isn't as good but he fits the same mold. I think Thomas could be good in a man blocking or power blocking scheme.

Huh...I guess I can kind of see what you're saying. I think Daniel Thomas lacks power though so I can't necessarily agree with Thomas being part of a power-running offense. He's not super fast but at Kansas I believe he was known as a talented open-field runner. He doesn't have amazing agility or top-end speed but he seemed to create some big plays.

I would actually compare Thomas to a guy you're probably not familar with. I'm a Clemson fan and while Spiller and Ellington have been the premier guys, we used to have a guy named Jamie Harper who was big but ran as though he weren't. He just didn't run "tough." He's currently 3rd string on the Titans behind CJ2K and another guy I can't think of.

By comparison, I think Peyton Hillis was sort of known for that combination of surprising athleticism and raw power he displayed a couple season's ago. I'd take Hillis' power over Thomas' in other words.

Thomas isn't really big enough to lack agility in my mind. I think he has some but he should have some. I am not comfortable however with the level of power and strength he's shown. I think that's actually his deficiency. Again, I'd take Hillis' over Thomas in a power/strength debate.

The potential in Thomas I think is in getting him the ball in space. He has the ability to avoid tacklers even without elite top-end speed so his potential is really in the receiving game and his strength is his ability to also run between the tackles. He can do a little of the Reggie Bush stuff and a little of the Lamer Miller stuff I guess you could say.

That kind of middle ground where you don't really get anything all that special doesn't seem to lead to wonderful production however. Those guys have to good all around. They stay healthy. They don't fumble. They can pick up blitzers. All that stuff.

Thomas doesn't have the ability in those other areas that would allow us to settle for 'decent' production. I don't know about blitz-pickup but he surely isn't staying healthy and he's shown to have fumbling issues. Given his average production I would say that his being let go is a certainty after this season if things don't change. That's why I suggested it would be interesting if we could actually get something for him through a trade.
hammer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Reggie Bush could end up having a Marcus Allen type career and there is no way I let him walk. I'm hoping Thomas gets rolling and is traded at deadline.
NBA: New York Knicks
Warpticon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
Warpticon wrote:

Thomas looks expendable.

Simple as that.

And none of that but one paragraph is about how having Thomas would keep us from signing Bush. It was basically all about how signing Bush could make Thomas expendable, which is far easier to understand than the converse.

Thomas is scheduled to make $661k next year and $816k in 2014. By comparison, Miller makes $480k and $570k in those years. Money is not going to be the reason he stays or goes. Pretty much the only variable in the equation of Thomas's future with the Dolphins is his own performance.
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:

Huh...I guess I can kind of see what you're saying. I think Daniel Thomas lacks power though so I can't necessarily agree with Thomas being part of a power-running offense. He's not super fast but at Kansas I believe he was known as a talented open-field runner. He doesn't have amazing agility or top-end speed but he seemed to create some big plays.

I would actually compare Thomas to a guy you're probably not familar with. I'm a Clemson fan and while Spiller and Ellington have been the premier guys, we used to have a guy named Jamie Harper who was big but ran as though he weren't. He just didn't run "tough." He's currently 3rd string on the Titans behind CJ2K and another guy I can't think of.

By comparison, I think Peyton Hillis was sort of known for that combination of surprising athleticism and raw power he displayed a couple season's ago. I'd take Hillis' power over Thomas' in other words.

Thomas isn't really big enough to lack agility in my mind. I think he has some but he should have some. I am not comfortable however with the level of power and strength he's shown. I think that's actually his deficiency. Again, I'd take Hillis' over Thomas in a power/strength debate.

The potential in Thomas I think is in getting him the ball in space. He has the ability to avoid tacklers even without elite top-end speed so his potential is really in the receiving game and his strength is his ability to also run between the tackles. He can do a little of the Reggie Bush stuff and a little of the Lamer Miller stuff I guess you could say.

That kind of middle ground where you don't really get anything all that special doesn't seem to lead to wonderful production however. Those guys have to good all around. They stay healthy. They don't fumble. They can pick up blitzers. All that stuff.

Thomas doesn't have the ability in those other areas that would allow us to settle for 'decent' production. I don't know about blitz-pickup but he surely isn't staying healthy and he's shown to have fumbling issues. Given his average production I would say that his being let go is a certainty after this season if things don't change. That's why I suggested it would be interesting if we could actually get something for him through a trade.

Power run game doesn't always mean power running back. It's more about power OL. yes the RB does have to be able to make a guy miss or lower his shoulder but it's more about OL plowing Defenders out of the way. Daniel Thomas is solid at putting his foot in the ground.

UniversalAuthor
phinmun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpticon wrote:
phinmun wrote:
Warpticon wrote:

Thomas looks expendable.

Simple as that.

And none of that but one paragraph is about how having Thomas would keep us from signing Bush. It was basically all about how signing Bush could make Thomas expendable, which is far easier to understand than the converse.

Thomas is scheduled to make $661k next year and $816k in 2014. By comparison, Miller makes $480k and $570k in those years. Money is not going to be the reason he stays or goes. Pretty much the only variable in the equation of Thomas's future with the Dolphins is his own performance.

Could've answered 'his play' but I figured that would be lazy and dismissive. Either way, I don't think Thomas--or anyone else--will "hinder" us from doing what we want with Reggie Bush. In those terms you could've used any name aside from Daniel Thomas and the answer would remain the same.

We're not behind the 8-ball in terms of money, thankfully, but Thomas (as you and I agree) can certainly influence what we do, maybe more than anyone else.
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
Warpticon wrote:
phinmun wrote:
Warpticon wrote:

Thomas looks expendable.

Simple as that.

Could've answered 'his play' but I figured that would be lazy and dismissive. Either way, I don't think Thomas--or anyone else--will "hinder" us from doing what we want with Reggie Bush. In those terms you could've used any name aside from Daniel Thomas and the answer would remain the same.

We're not behind the 8-ball in terms of money, thankfully, but Thomas (as you and I agree) can certainly influence what we do, maybe more than anyone else.

Think about it this way. Get rid of Thomas and now you have 3 running backs, one of which is a return man. That allows you to have players else where

UniversalAuthor
bpastermack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas is NOT a power running back and does NOT fit better in a power scheme. Just because he is big people see him as a powerful running back. I have seen people talk about how he moves the pile and blah blah blah... What pile? Have you ever seen him move a pile? He does NOT plant his foot and deliver a blow when getting hit. He generally spins off of tackles and sometimes fumbles when he does. He is a terrible goal line back or short yardage guy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagasse67 wrote:
phinmun wrote:
Warpticon wrote:
phinmun wrote:
Warpticon wrote:

Thomas looks expendable.

Simple as that.

Think about it this way. Get rid of Thomas and now you have 3 running backs, one of which is a return man. That allows you to have players else where

I doubt you're gonna save a roster spot unless Thigpen shows them something as a real back. If Thomas is gone, most likely he'll be replace by a different back.
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpticon wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
phinmun wrote:
Warpticon wrote:
phinmun wrote:
Warpticon wrote:

Thomas looks expendable.

Simple as that.

I doubt you're gonna save a roster spot unless Thigpen shows them something as a real back. If Thomas is gone, most likely he'll be replace by a different back.

Thats a good point.

Bpastermack, after watching some highlights of him just now, you're right he doesn't run with any power. He is a guy that is light on his feet.

UniversalAuthor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: