Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Titans Defensive Review- Titans at San Diego, Week 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatTitansFan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH guys, I really don't think Griffin is the problem. I don't think any player is really the problem. I think the scheme is the problem.
Our scheme can tear up and humiliate average QBs. But against any high level QB (ala rivers and brady) we just leave too many holes open. If the QB has great accuracy and a good game plan, they just rip up the center of our field.
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad people are finally realizing how god awful Lamont Thompson is. I've only been saying it going on 4 years now. It's unbelievable how a player can regress that far in 3 seasons without losing any of his speed and athleticism.

**RIP Steve McNair**
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
s_camp wrote:
TitanSlim wrote:
And is it me or was Michael Griffin playing more SS while Robert Johnson was playing more FS?

Yes and it's the only excuse the can be made for Griffin, although playing in the wrong position doesn't excuse his craptastic tackling.

If we had more players have 'craptastic' tackling, maybe someone else on the front 7 would actually lead the team in tackles?

Granted, a safety of Griffin's caliber leading a team in tackles doesn't shock me with how he flies all over the field.
I get that it's your thing, but seriously, there comes a point where it has to pain you to continue pretending that Griffin has been anything other than garbage.

Are you serious?

Griffin has been one of our best players on defense thus far this season. If our schemes weren't so god-awful and involve tight ends getting free releases and running around uncovered, you'd see at least 2, possibly 3 picks from Griffin.

Don't forget he laid the wood and forced a fumble that ended up rolling out of bounds.

It just seems like right now Griffin is the popular guy to hate, since we gave him a new contract and let Finnegan walk, but you will all see, sooner or later, that it was the right decision. You can replace CBs relatively easy (as we have done), but replacing a Pro Bowl safety? Good luck with that one.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
justing101

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a new scheme for our whole team, run blocking, in every defensive way, and even pass blocking.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justing101 wrote:
We need a new scheme for our whole team, run blocking, in every defensive way, and even pass blocking.

Negatives.
------------

*Note, I'm not going to even touch the run game. Way to much wrong there to even begin.*

I really wanna see more man on man. We keep playing all these zone coverages and guys like Brady, Rivers, Stafford, Big Ben, Rodgers are going to pick us apart. Those guys are smart enough to find the whole in the zones and attack them. For example the Chargers ran the same exact play to Rosario twice and completed it both times. They found a hole right behind the LB and in front of the safety and kept using it. I believe Floyd even used the same hole once or twice and we never adjusted.

I really think McCourty and Verner are capable of playing bump and run. Playing 10 yards off will never create turnovers. You've got to disrupt the timing and throw receivers off their routes at the LOS. If you can't do that it's just playing catch with any of the above average QB's.

I know we all blame Griff but I'm not sure it's 100% his fault. If we keep running the same coverages our opponents are going to find the holes. Gray has got to change things up and put them in the right spot to succeed. The majority of the plays we gave up were to the middle/right side of the field to the tune of at least 157 yards and three TD's. Ex. Almost all Floyd's catches, Rosario's TD's. If you're running zone the guys have to communicate and it seems like there wasn't any communication at all.

Positives.
-----------
Verner and Johnson seem to be doing a pretty good job on their side of the field.
I'm excited Gray lined up our DE's in a Wide-9 a la Washburn. It really seemed to benefit Morgan and Wimbley. Casey and Martin did a pretty good job plugging up the holes. We really missed McCarthy in the run game. I'm still puzzled as to why Klug is getting 4th DT reps. Confused After the season he had last year and the pressure he got you would think he would be in there.
Once Marks and McCarthy get back on the field I think the run defense will improve even more.

Cook is starting to look more like a leader to me. Watching the video's on the Titans website everyone just said they had to go back to the drawing board. They all seemed a little upset but Cook came right out and said he was pissed. He's old enough/been in the league long enough now that he should start being more vocal. Munch even said in a presser he was one of the guys talking the locker room after the game.

I'd like to see more passing plays out of 2 TE sets. For a bigger guy Stevens has good hands and it would make our run game a little less predictable. I wouldn't mind seeing Stevens line up as a FB either. If they bring pressure he blocks if not he runs a wheel route or something. It's those little types of things that could make defense think a little more and make us more dangerous.

I'd also like us to try to get the ball in Wright's hands in space. We've only tried 1 or 2 screens to him so far. With how bad our run game is that number should be around 5-6.

/rant.
Kendall Wright - 25 catches 223 yards, 3TD
Damian Stafford - 3 tackles
s_camp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
titans0021 wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
s_camp wrote:
TitanSlim wrote:
And is it me or was Michael Griffin playing more SS while Robert Johnson was playing more FS?

Yes and it's the only excuse the can be made for Griffin, although playing in the wrong position doesn't excuse his craptastic tackling.

If we had more players have 'craptastic' tackling, maybe someone else on the front 7 would actually lead the team in tackles?

Granted, a safety of Griffin's caliber leading a team in tackles doesn't shock me with how he flies all over the field.
I get that it's your thing, but seriously, there comes a point where it has to pain you to continue pretending that Griffin has been anything other than garbage.

Are you serious?

Griffin has been one of our best players on defense thus far this season. If our schemes weren't so god-awful and involve tight ends getting free releases and running around uncovered, you'd see at least 2, possibly 3 picks from Griffin.

Don't forget he laid the wood and forced a fumble that ended up rolling out of bounds.

It just seems like right now Griffin is the popular guy to hate, since we gave him a new contract and let Finnegan walk, but you will all see, sooner or later, that it was the right decision. You can replace CBs relatively easy (as we have done), but replacing a Pro Bowl safety? Good luck with that one.

The scheme doesn't call for the TEs to run around uncovered. Griffin makes that call. He had the option of running with Hernandez on the first NE touchdown, but he stood flat-footed until Hernandez passed him. That's entirely on Griffin and it's the kind of brain dead play we get from him most of the time.

I'm glad he finally hit somebody... it's been about four years since he last did that.

Griffin and CJ are getting bashed not because of their salaries, but because they are playing horribly. Their outrageous salaries are the fault of Reinfeldt/Webster. Can't blame the players for taking what they can.

Edit: Griffin did the same thing on the second SD touchdown. He let Rosario close the 5 yard gap that was between them pre-snap, basically stepped out of Rosario's way as he went by, then trailed by a step or two through the endzone while the ball was in the air.

Last edited by s_camp on Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
seminoles1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Lance Schulters and Tank Williams back.

Michael Griffin sucks. I'm sorry Ruskie, but the scheme isn't the problem when Griffin just stands with his feet in concrete while Aaron Hernandez runs a simple post route and leaves Griffin in the dust. That's just awful football. He is constantly out of position and trying to play catch-up on just about every damn play. A few tackles down field doesn't make up for the rest of his awfulness.

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift-Steve Prefontaine

The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.
Titans_31

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seminoles1 wrote:

Michael Griffin sucks. I'm sorry Ruskie, but the scheme isn't the problem when Griffin just stands with his feet in concrete while Aaron Hernandez runs a simple post route and leaves Griffin in the dust. That's just awful football. He is constantly out of position and trying to play catch-up on just about every damn play. A few tackles down field doesn't make up for the rest of his awfulness.

Griffin has sucked in every scheme other than the one we played on his first two or three years here. I thinks its more him than anything. Ido miss that 2003 defense though!
prozac77

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Titans Defensive Review- Titans at San Diego, Week 2 Reply with quote

ThatTitansFan wrote:

Here's the positional positives-
#1 Brown looks like he can be a starter. He played quite well. I don't understand why we don't assign him man to man on some Tight Ends (especially since they're just tearing up our zones)
#2. D Morgan looked fantastic all game, as did Wimbley, as did the whole Dline. Rivers was under pressure all day, and I think we had 13 QB hits. If we could cover just a littttttttle bit better, that would be great.
#3. The corners were fantastic. Mouton had a bit of a rough game, but McCourty and Verner were good all game.

Absolutely agree.

Derrick Morgan has looked great these first 2 games. Ive re-watched both games and he's not only getting pressure on the QB, but making plays against the run. He's fun to watch really. I hope he can continue this throughout the whole season.
Guess the whole Egboh thing really lit a fire under his azz Laughing
ThatTitansFan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Prozac- yep. This Dline has really turned a corner this year. Our Run D is stronger, and we're getting a lot more pressure. When we have McCarthy and Marks back, we should step it up to another level.

To reiterate- I don't buy into the Michael Griffin hate. He's not all pro, but he is playing fine. So is Rob Johnson.

The problem is we have them playing deep zones most of the time, and two linebackers playing close zone (with one following the RB) and in between them is dead space- and that dead space is being worked really, really hard.

Here's my thing- our Dline is playing a lot better and getting a lot more pressure this year. Even when we don't "pressure", Casey is getting enough push up the middle to prevent the QB from stepping up.

We should play closer zones by the safeties. If we can reliably get pressure on the QB, which we are, then the deep pass is much less of a threat. Hanging Griffin and Johnson over the top all the time is a waste- the Pats and Chargers just ate up the middle of the field in front of them.

Play one safety deep (probably Rob Johnson) and one safety in a closer zone or man up the tight end. We'll end up giving up a couple 20+ yard passes a game if we do this, but we'll also stop the 10-15 yard passes over the middle of the field. I'd rather give up a 40 yard pass and then have them go 3 and out than have them constantly complete 10 yard passes over and over and over again. But that's what is happening now. We haven't given up a single reception over 40 yards, but QBs are just running wild in the intermediate passes.

Plus, Mouton/Campbell (whoever plays third, looks like Mouton has locked it down right now) are both fast enough to stay with any receiver down the field. McCourty is a little slower, so just shade the safety we leave deep over to that side.

So, to simplify- we're playing like we're scared of the deep pass (which was smart last year). But we have a much better pass rush than last year. Playing two safeties deep prevents the big downfield passes, but opens up the intermediate between the hash passes way too much. We need to trust our rush, and play one safety closer, or manned up on a TE. Our pass rush will still make throwing deep a risky proposition, and having one safety close to the line will massively help against TEs (and the run game).
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seminoles1 wrote:

NFL Network is offering the 22 coaches tapes. I'd recommend them.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seminoles1 wrote:

I want Bishop and Robertson back...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragevsuall17 wrote:
seminoles1 wrote:

I want Bishop and Robertson back...

I think Perry Phoenix is available. Smile

stallyns wrote:
Cortland Finnegan signs with the Rams, the division just got classier.
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wimbley ranked #1 in Pass Rushing Productivity for week 2:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/09/20/signature-stats-leaders-week-2/
titans0021

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
Wimbley ranked #1 in Pass Rushing Productivity for week 2:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/09/20/signature-stats-leaders-week-2/
Not too surprising.

Wimbley was getting up the field a ton despite being consistently held. If we can learn to cover tight ends and get Colin back, I have faith that the defense can turn around.

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
1. Justin Hunter, WR - 12 receptions, 237 yards, 1 touchdown
2. Brian Schwenke, C.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: