Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

It wasn't me!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: It wasn't me!! Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/18/ireland-expresses-regret-for-verbal-altercation-with-fan/

So it seems that Jeff Ireland told by a fan at Sunday's game that he should fire himself. Ireland responded by calling the fan an a-hole.

First, despite my frequent posts regarding Ireland it was not me!! Secondly, I don't think calling a paying client a name is gonna win him any GM of the year awards, but I also think that the fan was kind of asking for it. Beyond that, I think it was odd timing to ridicule the guy when the Dolphins were finally winning a game.

I don't think this is a big deal, but a friend of mine called and he is a Ireland supporter and said that he thinks Ireland should get canned for calling a fan a name. I actually disagree. I think Ireland should be fired, but certainly not for calling a fan a name that sounds like it might have been appropriate.

Thoughts?
Clutch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for Ireland. Call a spade a spade. Fan went looking for it and got it. Whats he supposed to do, smile and cheers the guy?? Please. And then I love how the fan wines about it. Seriously??

Don't care about that. Just win and he can stay. Lose, even with this roster, and he will have too many questions and not enough answers.
Deadeye

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Merc, this incident is essentially meaningless.

The real issue as I see it is Ireland's track record with middle-round picks. You gotta find contributors and we have not done so in the 2011 and 2012 drafts thusfar.

Now to be fair, Martin may be improving, Miller looked good in limited action Sunday, and Vernon Olivier is at least on the field. So maybe there's a chance 2012 wasn't a complete disaster. But 2011 sure was and we'll see how these rookies work out the rest of the way.
phinmun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad move by Ireland getting caught.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll side with the fan.

As one of the faces of a franchise, you have to stay above whatever comments and criticisms come your way. Ireland could hold any opinion he likes about someone, but to express it in public shows he is thin skinned and easily affected.

About all this article did was confirm my belief in what he is.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 6, Tackles 7 Assists 2 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 7 : Death 24 Joe 21
JCool333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no issue with this whatsoever. I think Ireland should've kept his mouth shut, but I also think he assessed the fan correctly.

As for Ireland getting fired- maybe. Just not due to this.
Deets

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If youre going to be a jerk to someone, they have a right to fire it right back at you. I agree with JCool, Ireland might earn himself a firing at the end of the year but this wouldn't even enter into the equation.

FF Member #67
PhinFan52

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atleast he didn't ask the guy if his mother was a prostitue.... Shocked
SUG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhinFan52 wrote:

Damn it you beat me to the puch 52 !!! Mad

sug Smile
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCool333 wrote:
I have no issue with this whatsoever. I think Ireland should've kept his mouth shut, but I also think he assessed the fan correctly.

Could it be that this is Ireland's most correct scouting report? Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaterBear56 wrote:
JCool333 wrote:

Could it be that this is Ireland's most correct scouting report? Shocked

Smile I was wondering Monday night if Bill Polian might be a suitable replacement ...?

I don't know bout the rest of you guys but ...
I always admired Indy's ability to scout & acquire great route running & pass catching WRs in mid to
late rnds during Peytons/Polians tenure.

sug
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhinFan52 wrote:

Laughing Applause Applause Laughing Applause Applause Laughing
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to mention kheston Randell name 7th round pick is getting some quality snap time and a reason we are one of the best in the league against the run right now..
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannehill,Martin ,miller and Randall all had good games. Vernon played a lot although I will admitt didn't see a impact in that game..
phinmun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all the guys critiquing the selections of mid-round WRs, just understand that we haven't taken many but out of that batch of Turner, Gates and Hartline, we've come away with at least 1 guy who is a fighter and can contribute in this offense. He has route-running ability, very good concentration, above-average hands and a huge desire to get on the football field and compete. He's saying and doing everything right and leading by example. He'll earn a spot on this football team and compete for Tannehill's attention even when a higher draft selection comes through the door to steal his sunshine.

In the NFL 1 out of 3 is respectable. It's baseline. It can mean a lot of things. Great scouts can look mediocre and vice versa given the right conditions. I'd say 2 out of 3 is exceptional and often requires the insight of a good coach who knows what he's looking for and can evaluate a player given a little time. That takes a lot of pressure off the GM beacuse otherwise you're asking the GM to find someone who'll fit any offense across the league. Most of the time that requires a top-10 draft pick or a Bess-like player who doesn't have talent but works hard enough to beat out a lot of guys. We haven't been able to spend any of our top-10 picks on a WR so we have guys like Hartline and Bess who contribute with hard work and effort. That's what you get when coaches don't know what the hell they want and 100% of the pressure is on your GM to find someone who'll do everything himself. Those guys are virtually non-existent. You need a guy who understands the demands of the offense and what particular young players coming out of college can offer. I trust Philbin a lot more with helping build up his offense than Sparano. Sparano didn't even have an offense himself anyway.

And don't think I'm being hypocrtical because I'm sure Ireland got a lot of input in other areas where measurables were the standard and where the coaces knew the direction they wanted to go...maybe Long vs Ryan.

Getting back on topic, 3 out of 3 just doesn't happen, so you appreciate what you have guys. We're currently doing a respectable job and now have added a HC who can help find just the right players and will hopefully add what it takes to be exceptional by finding another guy like Hartline--maybe with a different skillset. Add to that the top-round guy I hope we get and possible, small FA signings and we're a couple years away from looking at the whole picture and asking ourselves how it changed so quickly!

I don't see any reason why Bess can't fall to #4 if we add a high draft pick and another guy to compete with Hartline to fill the #2 and #3 spots. Right now, Hartline and Bess are #1 and #2 so it's great but we haven't addressed that position at all under HC Joe Philbin. We did it under HC Tony Sparano but you guys need to understand that a new system and a new philosphy require different (and sometimes altogether new) faces.

You guys say the same thing over and over and make it sound like we've taken 5 WRs and they've all been busts. Gates didn't develop as quickly as we would've liked and evidently Philbin wasn't impressed with what he offered the offense. Turner, yeah, he busted but he wasn't a 1st or 2nd round pick so it's not lik Turner busting and Hartline succeeding is a bad track record.

Plus, it's not like WRs can't come from free agency if they're particular guys. Acquiring Brandon Marshall for a couple of 2nd rounders was good value on a team that needed (and wanted) a standout WR to take pressure off the QB. We're not looking for a large-sized WR to take pressure off our QB in this offense. We need our QB to do that himself and if Philbin thinks we can do that I trust him.

At the time, Marshall was a good acquisition. Davone Bess was a UFA after the draft we signed and developed. Matthews has looked good while on the field thus far yet we spent a nothing kind of late-rounder on him. We've gone all over the place to find WRs and have found success in nearly every spot. Marshall as a big FA, Bess as a small, rookie FA, Hartline in the mid rounds and possibly Matthews in the late rounds. The only place we haven't found success in high in the draft because we haven't tried but I get the feeling that the coaches have kept the cupboard a little bare because they are going to add something big in the off-season.

Realistically, WRs from middle rounds (3-5) of the draft isn't as much a problem considering we've tried 3 and hit on 1. That's not horrible. While I want to be abe to defend Ireland by saying more than just 'he's not horrible.' When someone's implying he is that's what the conversation becomes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: