Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Forget about Morgan... Another poor decision cost us
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Thaiphoon


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2007
Posts: 14278
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
I didn't bring this up to just pile on the game and the loss. I started the topic because it is a good statistical analysis and if we wanted to win the game it was a better chance to go for it. That's it.


I agree.

But ya know what the kicker is (no pun intended) here? I was listening to "The Sports Reporters" at 4pm yesterday (or Monday, can 't remember) on ESPN980 and it was mentioned by one of the guests that had we not gotten the 15yard penalty, that Shanahan was going to go for it on 4th and 2 instead of kicking the 47 yarder.
_________________


Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62756
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
I didn't bring this up to just pile on the game and the loss. I started the topic because it is a good statistical analysis and if we wanted to win the game it was a better chance to go for it. That's it.


I agree.

But ya know what the kicker is (no pun intended) here? I was listening to "The Sports Reporters" at 4pm yesterday (or Monday, can 't remember) on ESPN980 and it was mentioned by one of the guests that had we not gotten the 15yard penalty, that Shanahan was going to go for it on 4th and 2 instead of kicking the 47 yarder.
I hope he would have, it would have made sense
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until: Today; @ Texans 7. Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
AntiSuperstar


Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Posts: 4444
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Don't you know that the Baltimore Ravens and the Washington Redskins both cut Gano in favor of Billy Cundiff and each time it has turned out to be a good decision. Cundiff is a better kicker than Gano. Cundiff was better than Gano when Cundiff was in Baltmore and Gano was here and Cundiff has been better this year than what Gano was for us, it was the correct decision in both cases.


Gano was a rookie when he was cut in Baltimore. There's no need for the circular logic that says because Gano was justifiably cut for Cundiff in Baltimore it automatically means it was justified to do the same in Washington. Cundiff hasn't been any better than Gano on field goals.

What all the critics of Cundiff said remains true, he has already shown his bad tendencies twice: He reliably kicks wide right on long field goals, and he reliably misses at the end of games. The guy is a liability because of this, and it takes a great deal of rationalization to not see this.
_________________
Stop slobbering over Brian Dawkins
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62756
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Don't you know that the Baltimore Ravens and the Washington Redskins both cut Gano in favor of Billy Cundiff and each time it has turned out to be a good decision. Cundiff is a better kicker than Gano. Cundiff was better than Gano when Cundiff was in Baltmore and Gano was here and Cundiff has been better this year than what Gano was for us, it was the correct decision in both cases.


Gano was a rookie when he was cut in Baltimore. There's no need for the circular logic that says because Gano was justifiably cut for Cundiff in Baltimore it automatically means it was justified to do the same in Washington. Cundiff hasn't been any better than Gano on field goals.

What all the critics of Cundiff said remains true, he has already shown his bad tendencies twice: He reliably kicks wide right on long field goals, and he reliably misses at the end of games. The guy is a liability because of this, and it takes a great deal of rationalization to not see this.
it doesn't matter how you want to rationalize it, the fact remains Gano got cut for Cundiff twice! It doesn't matter when it happened and that Gano was a rookie, it still happened buddy.

So he missed at the end of the game and to the right on a 62 yard field goal? Big deal! Most people knew it was a long shot to make it, and thats the only example you have to go on from this year, so that is NOT a large enough sample size!

Also the kick he missed last AFCCG was to the left so there goes that tendency. Wink
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until: Today; @ Texans 7. Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
footy_29


Joined: 31 Jan 2007
Posts: 11397
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Don't you know that the Baltimore Ravens and the Washington Redskins both cut Gano in favor of Billy Cundiff and each time it has turned out to be a good decision. Cundiff is a better kicker than Gano. Cundiff was better than Gano when Cundiff was in Baltmore and Gano was here and Cundiff has been better this year than what Gano was for us, it was the correct decision in both cases.


Gano was a rookie when he was cut in Baltimore. There's no need for the circular logic that says because Gano was justifiably cut for Cundiff in Baltimore it automatically means it was justified to do the same in Washington. Cundiff hasn't been any better than Gano on field goals.

What all the critics of Cundiff said remains true, he has already shown his bad tendencies twice: He reliably kicks wide right on long field goals, and he reliably misses at the end of games. The guy is a liability because of this, and it takes a great deal of rationalization to not see this.


I'm with this guy. I am not saying that Gano would have made that 62 yard field goal, but at least he has the leg to do it. Cundiff does not have the leg for long field goals - ostensibly it's the same as throwing a hail mary with Alex Smith as your QB.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62756
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
AntiSuperstar wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Don't you know that the Baltimore Ravens and the Washington Redskins both cut Gano in favor of Billy Cundiff and each time it has turned out to be a good decision. Cundiff is a better kicker than Gano. Cundiff was better than Gano when Cundiff was in Baltmore and Gano was here and Cundiff has been better this year than what Gano was for us, it was the correct decision in both cases.
gano was a rookie when he was cut in Baltimore. There's no need for the circular logic that says because Gano was justifiably cut for Cundiff in Baltimore it automatically means it was justified to do the same in Washington. Cundiff hasn't been any better than Gano on field goals.

What all the critics of Cundiff said remains true, he has already shown his bad tendencies twice: He reliably kicks wide right on long field goals, and he reliably misses at the end of games. The guy is a liability because of this, and it takes a great deal of rationalization to not see this.

I'm with this guy. I am not saying that Gano would have made that 62 yard field goal, but at least he has the leg to do it. Cundiff does not have the leg for long field goals - ostensibly it's the same as throwing a hail mary with Alex Smith as your QB.
Cundiff was only a few yards short on the distance and Shanahan said he's seen him kick that distance in practice.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until: Today; @ Texans 7. Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
footy_29


Joined: 31 Jan 2007
Posts: 11397
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
footy_29 wrote:
AntiSuperstar wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Don't you know that the Baltimore Ravens and the Washington Redskins both cut Gano in favor of Billy Cundiff and each time it has turned out to be a good decision. Cundiff is a better kicker than Gano. Cundiff was better than Gano when Cundiff was in Baltmore and Gano was here and Cundiff has been better this year than what Gano was for us, it was the correct decision in both cases.
gano was a rookie when he was cut in Baltimore. There's no need for the circular logic that says because Gano was justifiably cut for Cundiff in Baltimore it automatically means it was justified to do the same in Washington. Cundiff hasn't been any better than Gano on field goals.

What all the critics of Cundiff said remains true, he has already shown his bad tendencies twice: He reliably kicks wide right on long field goals, and he reliably misses at the end of games. The guy is a liability because of this, and it takes a great deal of rationalization to not see this.

I'm with this guy. I am not saying that Gano would have made that 62 yard field goal, but at least he has the leg to do it. Cundiff does not have the leg for long field goals - ostensibly it's the same as throwing a hail mary with Alex Smith as your QB.
Cundiff was only a few yards short on the distance and Shanahan said he's seen him kick that distance in practice.


A few yards...do you mean 10-12 yards short and about 6-7 yards to the right ? If so, then we agree.

Cundiff is poo with 50+ yards.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
THESKINSFAN21


Joined: 14 Jul 2011
Posts: 4302
Location: West Palm Beach
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone wanna guess who leads the team in receptions?
_________________

mike23md on the sig
Adopt A Redskin- Trent Murphy/OLB-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Thaiphoon


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2007
Posts: 14278
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
Anyone wanna guess who leads the team in receptions?


Tied between Robinson, Moss and Morgan at 6 each.

Garcon is the only WR over 100yds. Robinson has 92.

If Robinson catches that pass...<smh>
_________________


Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
THESKINSFAN21


Joined: 14 Jul 2011
Posts: 4302
Location: West Palm Beach
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
Anyone wanna guess who leads the team in receptions?


Tied between Robinson, Moss and Morgan at 6 each.

Garcon is the only WR over 100yds. Robinson has 92.

If Robinson catches that pass...<smh>

Oh,I should have kept scrolling down on nfl.com Embarassed I saw Moss with 6 then came to post,I was surprised but all 3 having 6.isnt shabby.
_________________

mike23md on the sig
Adopt A Redskin- Trent Murphy/OLB-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
THESKINSFAN21


Joined: 14 Jul 2011
Posts: 4302
Location: West Palm Beach
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
Anyone wanna guess who leads the team in receptions?


Tied between Robinson, Moss and Morgan at 6 each.

Garcon is the only WR over 100yds. Robinson has 92.

If Robinson catches that pass...<smh>

Oh,I should have kept scrolling down on nfl.com Embarassed I saw Moss with 6 then came to post,I was surprised but all 3 having 6.isnt shabby.
_________________

mike23md on the sig
Adopt A Redskin- Trent Murphy/OLB-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62756
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
footy_29 wrote:
AntiSuperstar wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Don't you know that the Baltimore Ravens and the Washington Redskins both cut Gano in favor of Billy Cundiff and each time it has turned out to be a good decision. Cundiff is a better kicker than Gano. Cundiff was better than Gano when Cundiff was in Baltmore and Gano was here and Cundiff has been better this year than what Gano was for us, it was the correct decision in both cases.
gano was a rookie when he was cut in Baltimore. There's no need for the circular logic that says because Gano was justifiably cut for Cundiff in Baltimore it automatically means it was justified to do the same in Washington. Cundiff hasn't been any better than Gano on field goals.

What all the critics of Cundiff said remains true, he has already shown his bad tendencies twice: He reliably kicks wide right on long field goals, and he reliably misses at the end of games. The guy is a liability because of this, and it takes a great deal of rationalization to not see this.

I'm with this guy. I am not saying that Gano would have made that 62 yard field goal, but at least he has the leg to do it. Cundiff does not have the leg for long field goals - ostensibly it's the same as throwing a hail mary with Alex Smith as your QB.
Cundiff was only a few yards short on the distance and Shanahan said he's seen him kick that distance in practice.


A few yards...do you mean 10-12 yards short and about 6-7 yards to the right ? If so, then we agree.

Cundiff is poo with 50+ yards.
it was one kick. Not a large enough sample size, we all saw E's breakdown of Cundiffs kicks over the years those stats speak for themselves. To be honest we shouldn't even be kicking over 50 yards, we should punt or go for it, the odds are better.

Most of his problem over 50 is accuracy and that's the same with most kickers in the league. He has a strong leg, Shanahan keeps saying that and I've seen it when he's kicked for previous teams
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until: Today; @ Texans 7. Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
footy_29


Joined: 31 Jan 2007
Posts: 11397
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not one kick...have you not watched Billy Cundiff kick before?

Since returning to employed work in the NFL with a visibly stronger leg in 2009, Cundiff has made 1 out of 10 kicks of 50+ yards. He cannot make the long kicks. SOurce: NFL.com

Are we so quick to forget that Gano nailed a 59 yarder last year?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brian23


Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 6749
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
footy_29 wrote:
AntiSuperstar wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Don't you know that the Baltimore Ravens and the Washington Redskins both cut Gano in favor of Billy Cundiff and each time it has turned out to be a good decision. Cundiff is a better kicker than Gano. Cundiff was better than Gano when Cundiff was in Baltmore and Gano was here and Cundiff has been better this year than what Gano was for us, it was the correct decision in both cases.
gano was a rookie when he was cut in Baltimore. There's no need for the circular logic that says because Gano was justifiably cut for Cundiff in Baltimore it automatically means it was justified to do the same in Washington. Cundiff hasn't been any better than Gano on field goals.

What all the critics of Cundiff said remains true, he has already shown his bad tendencies twice: He reliably kicks wide right on long field goals, and he reliably misses at the end of games. The guy is a liability because of this, and it takes a great deal of rationalization to not see this.

I'm with this guy. I am not saying that Gano would have made that 62 yard field goal, but at least he has the leg to do it. Cundiff does not have the leg for long field goals - ostensibly it's the same as throwing a hail mary with Alex Smith as your QB.
Cundiff was only a few yards short on the distance and Shanahan said he's seen him kick that distance in practice.


Shanny said he can boom it out the back from kickoffs so he should be able to do it as a FG. I don't think he's done a 60 yarder in practice or the beat writers would be all over it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dashing


Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 3730
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Shanny had faith in our offense . Not to mention Billy can hit a 60 yarder the problem is its a real hard thing to do and its rare to hit a 60 yarder. But he had the distance but not the accuracy he isnt clutch .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group