Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

SB Champs from the 00's you would take over the 1998 Broncos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1998 Vikings would have crushed the Broncos, as would the 2007 Patriots, 2004 Patriots, 2004 Eagles, 1999 St. Louis Rams, etc.
3. Cordarelle Patterson
Past Successes: Dez Bryant, Alshon Jeffrey, Torrey Smith
Future Successes: Sammy Watkins, Rueban Randle
Past Failures:
Steelerspower

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the broncos would have destroyed the Vikings in 1998, as the Broncos have destroyed the falcons

The broncos were a more complete team with a better QB, RB, better defense,and better coach

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 1997 team was better than the 98' team but that's just me.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
CP3MVP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
The 1998 Vikings would have crushed the Broncos, as would the 2007 Patriots, 2004 Patriots, 2004 Eagles, 1999 St. Louis Rams, etc.

They didn't crush the Falcons who the Broncos crushed
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CP3MVP wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

Transitive property doesn't work, though I think the Broncos would have won as well.

And 7DnBrnc53, don't the same principles of your "Super Bowl Myth Era" apply just as much to the Broncos. Their Super Bowl opponent, by your own standards, was a one year fluke that lacked particularly great talent. Their AFC championship foe was the same. So why are the '98 Broncos exempt from this?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that this isn't entirely on topic, but this "Superbowl Myth Era" when referencing the 80s, am I interpreting it right: that 80s SBs deserve an asterisk because of the relative weakness of the AFC?

If that's the case, surely they still deserve credit for beating the rest of the NFC.
tom cody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither team. The 1998 Broncos were that good.
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
CP3MVP wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

Transitive property doesn't work, though I think the Broncos would have won as well.

And 7DnBrnc53, don't the same principles of your "Super Bowl Myth Era" apply just as much to the Broncos. Their Super Bowl opponent, by your own standards, was a one year fluke that lacked particularly great talent. Their AFC championship foe was the same. So why are the '98 Broncos exempt from this?

1. The year before, the Broncos did beat a good team in the 97 Packers, even though they were overrated compared to the Broncos because they had no business being more than three point favorites.

2. The 98 Broncos aren't mythologized, reverenced, and overrated like the 85 Bears, 84 Niners, 91 Skins, and 92-93 Cowboys are. And, it isn't warranted because those teams beat less than worthy opponents. The 98 Falcons were more balanced than some of those teams the SB myth teams beat.
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
1. The year before, the Broncos did beat a good team in the 97 Packers, even though they were overrated compared to the Broncos because they had no business being more than three point favorites.
That's fine for the '97 team. '98 doesn't get away with it, though.

Quote:
2. The 98 Broncos aren't mythologized, reverenced, and overrated like the 85 Bears, 84 Niners, 91 Skins, and 92-93 Cowboys are.
Except that's exactly what you're doing with them. You're saying they were better than those teams when the same principle applies to them.

Quote:
And, it isn't warranted because those teams beat less than worthy opponents. The 98 Falcons were more balanced than some of those teams the SB myth teams beat.

More balanced =/= better. They were not a better team than the '84 Dolphins or '91 Bills, and using the standards you used to knock down the '91 Redskins, they're worse than pretty much all of those Super Bowl opponents. And even if they were better, it wasn't by much. Then you look at the NFC competition some of those teams faced in the playoffs and it's clearly better than what Denver faced in the AFC.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2002 Bucs or 2007 Pats

Every other team would probably lose to the Broncos.

For the record, with regards to the 02 Bucs, their offense was underrated and their defense was in the realm of 85 Bears and 00 Ravens.
reckless123

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2007 Pats...Oh wait.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:
That's fine for the '97 team. '98 doesn't get away with it, though.

Quote:
2. The 98 Broncos aren't mythologized, reverenced, and overrated like the 85 Bears, 84 Niners, 91 Skins, and 92-93 Cowboys are.
Except that's exactly what you're doing with them. You're saying they were better than those teams when the same principle applies to them.

Quote:
And, it isn't warranted because those teams beat less than worthy opponents. The 98 Falcons were more balanced than some of those teams the SB myth teams beat.

More balanced =/= better. They were not a better team than the '84 Dolphins or '91 Bills, and using the standards you used to knock down the '91 Redskins, they're worse than pretty much all of those Super Bowl opponents. And even if they were better, it wasn't by much. Then you look at the NFC competition some of those teams faced in the playoffs and it's clearly better than what Denver faced in the AFC.

1. I didn't start this thread. I am not mythologizing the 98 Broncos. I never have.

2. The 91 Bills are better than the 98 Falcons, but I don't know if the 84 Dolphins were. If Dan Marino got hurt, that would be an 8-win team at best.

3. Some of the teams that Denver played in the playoffs those two years were better than teams that those NFC playoffs teams played during the streak. For example, I would take the 97 Chiefs and Steelers over the teams that the 91 Redskins beat in the playoffs.

I would also take the 97 Chiefs over the 92 and 93 49ers and the 93 and 94 Packers.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bohlmann20 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:
Uh, none.

I wouldn't even take the 07 Pats over the 97-98 Broncos. TD would hang 150 on that weak defense.

4th in both points and yards = weak defense

Not to mention you never know in the playoffs. Remember how Larry Johnson was supposed to absolutely murder the Colts' horrible run D back in the '06(?) wild card game at Indy?

Plus, Bill is known for being able to take away the opposing team's best player every week. Not saying the Broncos didn't have the passing attack to compete with the Patriots, but they sure would need it along with Davis.

Wasnt their run D horrible without Bob Sanders and then he came back for the playoffs and he dominated?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
1. I didn't start this thread. I am not mythologizing the 98 Broncos. I never have.

Well, you're propping them up for the same reasons people prop up a lot of the "myth" teams.

Quote:
2. The 91 Bills are better than the 98 Falcons, but I don't know if the 84 Dolphins were. If Dan Marino got hurt, that would be an 8-win team at best.

Except Dan Marino didn't get hurt. You can't just take away possibly the greatest single season quarterback of all time. The 49ers played the Dolphins with a healthy Marino, so there's no reason to consider how good that team would be without him.

Quote:
3. Some of the teams that Denver played in the playoffs those two years were better than teams that those NFC playoffs teams played during the streak. For example, I would take the 97 Chiefs and Steelers over the teams that the 91 Redskins beat in the playoffs.

I would also take the 97 Chiefs over the 92 and 93 49ers and the 93 and 94 Packers.

We're not even talking about '97. We're talking about the '98 Dolphins and the '98 Jets.

I would take the 97 Chiefs and Steelers over the teams the 91 Redskins beat as well. I would not, however, take 4 point wins against those teams over 17 and 31 point wins over the teams the Redskins beat. You can't just ignore margin of victory here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:

Well, you're propping them up for the same reasons people prop up a lot of the "myth" teams.

Quote:

Except Dan Marino didn't get hurt. You can't just take away possibly the greatest single season quarterback of all time. The 49ers played the Dolphins with a healthy Marino, so there's no reason to consider how good that team would be without him.

Quote:

We're not even talking about '97. We're talking about the '98 Dolphins and the '98 Jets.

I would take the 97 Chiefs and Steelers over the teams the 91 Redskins beat as well. I would not, however, take 4 point wins against those teams over 17 and 31 point wins over the teams the Redskins beat. You can't just ignore margin of victory here.

If Marino gets lost for the year early in the 84 season, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the Fins would have been in a heap of hurt.

And, I know that we are dealing with the 98 Broncos, but the 97 team also has a lot of relevance to this discussion since they were back to back champions, something that the "big, bad" 85 Bears, 84 Niners, and 91 Skins weren't able to accomplish.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: