Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Confidence in Jason Garrett?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Confidence in Jason Garrett? Reply with quote

Through 3 games of the season, are you guys confident with the direction the team is headed with Jason Garrett as the head coach and offensive coordinator?

Honestly, I don't know. The offence for the past 3 seasons has struggled - and you can go even as far back as 5 years ago with the offence struggling at the start of games. The offence seems ill-prepared.

There there are the constant offensive penalties, many of them mental mistakes - i.e., false starts and delay of game penalties. These are inexcusable. Garrett said he was going to make this team more accountable and disciplined, but I don't see it at all.

And all of us see the same thing - the OL sucks. However, Garrett still calls plays with minimal success. Take the first play of today's game. Garrett calls for a fake reverse, which is a really slow developing play. We all know the OL can only protect for about a second, so why the heck do you call that play?

Then there's the complete abandoning of the run. While the OL struggles to open holes, completely abandoning it allows opposing defences to just attack Romo. This isn't a good recipe when the OL can't protect. Not surprisingly, Romo was hit time and time again today. If this continues, I'd be surprised if Romo finishes the season.

The defence, at least, has made tremendous strides this year. The defence plays hard every game, and they've been the biggest reason why this team is 2-1. I couldn't imagine what this team would be like if the defence wasn't playing as well as it is now. Ryan has done a very good job with the defence. Now if the offence could only catch up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have liked the approach that Garrett has taken to inspire the players. Its clear that there are a lot of hungry young players coming into the team that we have drafted and it seems some of the veterans that have been in dallas for awhile are hungry for success as well.

Its the poor play calling, poor execution, and poor offensive line play that it keeping this team from being highly succesful on a consistent basis.

I dont know what to say to this. I was battling this question earlier today with myself. I like Garrett as a head coach and I think he has a lot to do with our past couple drafts turning out pretty well, but his play calling and predictability is a major problem.

I like the way Rob Ryans defense is looking now that he has the right kind of personnel to fit his play calling. The problem here is that he could very well get a head coaching gig after this season if he keeps this up. Im not sure i want him as the Dallas Cowboys head coach yet, but it should be considered.

^^Thanks to Kempes for the sig.^^
dahobofest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No urgency to snap the ball after questionable calls to avoid them getting challenged... and always running the ball on 1st down... and playing offense like you have a good o-line when they really don't
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have full confidence in Jason Garrett as a head coach. I do not, however, want to see him continue playcalling duties past this season.

^^^Deadpulse
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSSS, I think this is a classic chicken or egg scenario. If Garrett did not realize the OL was going to be a huge problem this year, then, no, I have no confidence in his ability as a talent evaluator or coach. If Garrett realized the problem but was hamstrung by Jerry's incompetence as a GM, then that's probably more on Jerry.

Either way, 12 penalties at home is unacceptable. The shear number of offensive mistakes throughout Garrett tenure as the OC is unacceptable.

Lazyking

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
I have full confidence in Jason Garrett as a head coach. I do not, however, want to see him continue playcalling duties past this season.

I agree with this but I'm not sure if Jerry wouldn't just fire him instead of humilating him by hiring an OC
Ace5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complete lack of discipline throughout the offense. I love the talent evaluation Garretts. They seem to find gems like no tomorrow. But day to day coaching? Not so hot.

I'm just throwing this out there, fishing for reactions. Rob Ryan... head coach?
WareWolf94

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is On the Field execution. Dropped balls, blown blocking assignments, careless turnovers.

All mental errors that are not being corrected. Of course, some of these coincide, but these are the things plaguing the offense.

Im just glad the team has a reliable defense that can plug the gap until these things are corrected. Remember, we have an OL with only 3 games played together.

I can't make excuses for Free's terrible game today however.

I believe Garrett is doing a good job, it's the players (and his) job to correct mental errors.

Thanks to SHSTE

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25584

When you're right, you're right.
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no confidence in Redball. His hands are still dirty from the 0-7 that got Wade fired. Wade was a bit of a dufus as a head coach, but when you are hamstrung by the Co-Head coach, your days are numbered.

He's not an inspirational leader at all. My wife, who is a casual football fan thought Rob Ryan was the head coach because you see him more than Jason during the game.

I'll put it this way. When things are going bad during the game, I haven't seen him do anything to get the team back on track. All these penalties...that's coaching. The oline sucking like that...that's coaching. Having no real commitment to running the ball...again, that's coaching.

It seems we now have a pretty good defense (easily the best in the last couple years) and the thing that will hold this team back is a porous offensive line and play calling.

Sig Courtesy of thesickness89
WareWolf94

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD-ES-JJ wrote:
I have no confidence in Redball. His hands are still dirty from the 0-7 that got Wade fired. Wade was a bit of a dufus as a head coach, but when you are hamstrung by the Co-Head coach, your days are numbered.

He's not an inspirational leader at all. My wife, who is a casual football fan thought Rob Ryan was the head coach because you see him more than Jason during the game.

I'll put it this way. When things are going bad during the game, I haven't seen him do anything to get the team back on track. All these penalties...that's coaching. The oline sucking like that...that's coaching. Having no real commitment to running the ball...again, that's coaching.

It seems we now have a pretty good defense (easily the best in the last couple years) and the thing that will hold this team back is a porous offensive line and play calling.

You mean all the false starts? That's player execution.

And, isn't Bill Callahan the OL Coach/Offensive Coordinator?

Thanks to SHSTE

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25584

When you're right, you're right.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garrett said it at the beginning of the 2nd quarter, the false starts were attributed to cadence issues. Cook still doesn't have that down yet and it's really messing up the offensive line. Not to mention you have Doug Free who seems to have lost whatever he might have had in 2009.

^^^Deadpulse
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WareWolf94 wrote:
I think the problem is On the Field execution. Dropped balls, blown blocking assignments, careless turnovers.

All mental errors that are not being corrected. Of course, some of these coincide, but these are the things plaguing the offense.

Im just glad the team has a reliable defense that can plug the gap until these things are corrected. Remember, we have an OL with only 3 games played together.

I can't make excuses for Free's terrible game today however.

I believe Garrett is doing a good job, it's the players (and his) job to correct mental errors.

Yes or no... Does a team's inability to execute on the field ultimately fall on the head coach?

TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WareWolf94 wrote:
TD-ES-JJ wrote:

You mean all the false starts? That's player execution.

And, isn't Bill Callahan the OL Coach/Offensive Coordinator?

Really not in the mood for a fight tonight...But the fact that Free can suck like that every week and we still send him out there is either coaching or the owner saying that he must start. If you can't find anyone better than Free you're not a very good coach. Oh wait, Jerry finds the guys who suck and Jason finds the everyone else.

Why is it that other teams have Olines that don't get 6-7 false starts per game? Coaching...nah, just player execution.

Desperado82

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD-ES-JJ wrote:
Really not in the mood for a fight tonight...But the fact that Free can suck like that every week and we still send him out there is either coaching or the owner saying that he must start. If you can't find anyone better than Free you're not a very good coach. Oh wait, Jerry finds the guys who suck and Jason finds the everyone else.

Why is it that other teams have Olines that don't get 6-7 false starts per game? Coaching...nah, just player execution.

Who else do we have to start over Free? Do you really trust Parnell?

^^^Deadpulse
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
TD-ES-JJ wrote:

Who else do we have to start over Free? Do you really trust Parnell?

Do I trust him. No, because I haven't seen him in a real game. But it's hard to be much worse than Free has been. But I would snatch Free's butt out of the game for at least a series to show him that this crap is unacceptable.

By the way...I'd do the same thing with Witten...his blocking has been putrid. The drops I can accept, but the blocking shows a lack of effort.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: