Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 3: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:
LivingLegendWFC wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
i give cp props this is the best game he has ever played as a raider.

Nah the Thursday night game against the Chargers was better, but it was still a hell of a game for Palmer.

i dunno cp was deadly out there today and the sd game had bush getting major yards. even tho dmac busted loose on that 64 yr run he was kinda quiet after that. cp owned the game and was matching td for td with big ben who had a crazy game. cp kept his composure made smart plays and capitalized off the t.o.'s. and kept us in the game. we got the w. cant ask for more. im very satisfied. Very Happy

Cheers dude. I was thinking about what you would say when I logged in this morning. I figured you'd have SOMETHING to bash on him about but that doesnt' seem to be case. Well done

PM sig requests.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:
LivingLegendWFC wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:

Nah the Thursday night game against the Chargers was better, but it was still a hell of a game for Palmer.

i dunno cp was deadly out there today and the sd game had bush getting major yards. even tho dmac busted loose on that 64 yr run he was kinda quiet after that. cp owned the game and was matching td for td with big ben who had a crazy game. cp kept his composure made smart plays and capitalized off the t.o.'s. and kept us in the game. we got the w. cant ask for more. im very satisfied. Very Happy

I think it was his best game as well. Against SD, our D was playing well (especially the pass rush), Bush was running wild and Moore went off. Yesterday, the running game was decent and the defense was terrible. No WR had a dominating performance either. Most of the weight was on his shoulders and he just spread the ball around and moved the chains on 3rd down throughout the 2nd half.
early43

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
Darkness wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
Darkness wrote:
Has Tyvon Branch been bad? Whenever I notice him, he's flying to the ball and making a ton of tackles around the LOS. Maybe I need to pay more attention to him in coverage, but I thought he's been doing a phenomenal job against the run so far this season.

It seems that you have selective memory. I have seen him make some plays. The way you describe it makes it seem more glorified but I've seen missed tackles, average tackles, nothing crazy, but I've also seen a lot of containment lost and just bad angles going at the ball carrier. His coverage has slipped a little also, as S&B pointed out and that was his strongest skill. I expected him to really step up now that Al was gone and was hoping that was what was holding him back. So far, he's not proving me right.

How many tackles could he have missed yesterday against the run? The Steelers longest run was for 7 yards. He's been great at attacking the LOS and making tackles on running backs. Aside from that Reggie Bush TD down the sideline, I can't remember him taking a bad angle on a RB. Maybe I'm missing something? I'll admit agains the pass I haven't been paying much attention to him, but against the run, I can't help but notice how good of a job he does of stopping RB's before they barely pass the LOS.

Yesterday isn't the only game though. If I remember correctly, he had Ben in his cross hairs coming in for some pressure but a simple side-step negated it for an easy completion. Branch just seems to play so uncontrolled. If he had more discipline, I think he'd be better. The Bush TD is another example as you noted. I obviously watch him a little more as it seems. He's a guy I'm always looking for on the field. If I had a better memory, I could name off other plays in this young season where he was out of position or he put himself that way. I'm hoping for improvement but as of now, he's just an average safety in the league... making almost 7 mil a year. Here's to hoping he improves.

If you're watching him so intently, how is it that you can't name one run play aside from the one I mentioned? I can count on one hand the number of safeties in the league that diagnose and attack the run as well as he does. Calling him average after a few below average games in coverage, after he was great at it last season, is being way too critical but whatever. I can say with an unbiased judgement that he's knocking on the door of being a top 5 SS, if he isn't already.

The problem is because we have such a patchwork secondary, we are having to play him in coverage more instead of doing what he does best, which is attacking the line of scrimmage. Coverage, especially zone coverage, is the weakest part of him game. Not terrible but not great. Most of our players struggle in zone coverage because we have played man all the time prior to this year.

An idea that I think we should be calling for is the use of some kind of wolverine package with either Branch or Mitchell as the "wolverine guy". We need to create more pressure and I am in the camp of rolling the dice with blitzing to create the pressure, even if its means sacrificing coverage in the back end on some plays.
LivingLegendWFC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how I would rank the defense thus far.

Phillip Wheeler
Matt Shaughnessy
Rolando McClain (he was great yesterday and against the Chargers, but poor against the dolphins)
Lamar Houston
Michael Huff
Tyvon Branch
Desmond Bryant
Seymour
Kelly

As you can see that is extremely messed up. With the way Kelly and Seymour are being paid they should not be at the bottom of the list. They need t pick it up. I left out the corners because of the injuries and such but they ould e at the bottom as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
LivingLegendWFC wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:

I think it was his best game as well. Against SD, our D was playing well (especially the pass rush), Bush was running wild and Moore went off. Yesterday, the running game was decent and the defense was terrible. No WR had a dominating performance either. Most of the weight was on his shoulders and he just spread the ball around and moved the chains on 3rd down throughout the 2nd half.

Don't get me wrong Palmer was fantastic yesterday and you could make the case it was his best, I just thought he dominated the entire game against the Chargers, but all things considered I could see where your coming from. It was a great game from Palmer and he was the reason we won.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you, the SD game was epic and I couldn't even see it because of coding and football practice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
I'm with you, the SD game was epic and I couldn't even see it because of coding and football practice

Two things you'll never hear together again.

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
dmac505

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with everything been said so far, one thing i need to point out

the good - DHB blocking on dmacs long run. Few WR are willing to block like that. People really under value his blocking abilities. He keeps guys off DMC at the second level.

He is becoming one of my favorite raiders. Really hope he is OK.
NickButera

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Raiders scored on every 2nd half possession for 1st time since 10/13/91 vs Sea. They didn't score on 1st OT poss that game but won

Cork re-tweeted that. Pretty neat stat. Offense was rolling at an amazing rate. Don't get used to that though. That's an anomaly.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickButera wrote:
Quote:
Raiders scored on every 2nd half possession for 1st time since 10/13/91 vs Sea. They didn't score on 1st OT poss that game but won

Cork re-tweeted that. Pretty neat stat. Offense was rolling at an amazing rate. Don't get used to that though. That's an anomaly.

Confused

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
oak42069 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:

- Tyvon Branch - I know I lit a fire under you guys w/ all my talks about him over the offseason but has anyone been paying attention?? Has anyone noticed how very average he is? I put him in the bad b/c dude REALLY needs to go to Geometry class. He takes the worst angles I've seen. I can't specifically remember what plays they were but he infuriated me.

He's definitely not playing well so far.

I'd say only Shaughnessy and Wheeler have been good on D so far.

Jtagg has a point. Tyvon regressed big time in coverage this year. Quite disappointed in his play as well as Huff's. Shaggy and Wheeler have been stepping up though. Houston has been solid vs the run but not that good at pass rushing. McClain, Bryant and Burris have shown flashes too. Need more consistent playmakers as BP has mentioned though.

any word on when curry might return?

bartell and spencer?

needs these guys on the field for at least 2nd half of the season

I think Curry can come back week 7 against JAX but no word on his status.

I think Bartell can come back week 9 against TB but no word on his status either.

Spencer sounds like he will wont be out past the bye week.

According to LeviDamien, Bartell can come back week 10 against Baltimore. Not sure if it is accurate but he should know.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickButera wrote:
Quote:

Wow we did score that often didn't we...... pretty amazing. Hopefully they can keep it up but yeah, you're right, I don't think it will hahaha

PM sig requests.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

early43 wrote:
Maybe im reading too much into it, but does it surprise anyone that we had our best rushing day once Barnes was not in the game?

Weak link in the chain?

I think it had more to do with Wiz stepping his level of play up from last week. I remember him throwing key blocks on the 2 longest runs we had.
dante9876

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
early43 wrote:
Maybe im reading too much into it, but does it surprise anyone that we had our best rushing day once Barnes was not in the game?

Weak link in the chain?

I think it had more to do with Wiz stepping his level of play up from last week. I remember him throwing key blocks on the 2 longest runs we had.

I think pass pro was better without Barnes though.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dante9876 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
early43 wrote:

Weak link in the chain?

I think pass pro was better without Barnes though.

It looked fine. It's kinda hard to tell how much of that came from the threat of the running game slowing down the pass rush though.
Only thing i can say for sure is Smith and Brisiel were responsible on the sack given up yesterday.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: