Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Oh, mercy...it's Percy!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulWall_23

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:
I remember when the Harvin trade talk arose, virtually no one agreed with me that Harvin was a top 10 WR in this league. Anyone care to still disagree?

He is a top 7 playmaker in the league, no question about it. Percy continues to be a real problem for defenses.
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:
I remember when the Harvin trade talk arose, virtually no one agreed with me that Harvin was a top 10 WR in this league. Anyone care to still disagree?

A lot of people seem to think you have to be 6'4" with 4.4 speed to be a top WR.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Vikings linebacker Chad Greenway could vote for the NFL's MVP after three games this season, he would pick Minnesota wide receiver Percy Harvin.

Greenway: "Absolutely, no doubt about it in my mind. Percy's the best player in the NFL right now. I'd like to see anybody challenge that, the way he's carrying the football and the way he's driving our team along. You're asking him to do a lot of things, and he's doing them all really well. And he's not complaining; he hasn't said a peep."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_21626427/shooter-now-vikings-percy-harvin-is-nfl-mvp

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
swiss_vike

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:

Can't remember you saying that. I certainly didn't disagree, as I thought from his rookie season on that he's special. The only nack I have: we don't use him often down-field. I'm pretty sure he's also a top 10 WR downfield (like steve smith a couple of years ago).
TearsOfPurple

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are we gonna get this guy a new contract? I don't ever want him to walk away from this team.

#TankItTeddy
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swiss_vike wrote:
Frank Costello wrote:

Can't remember you saying that. I certainly didn't disagree, as I thought from his rookie season on that he's special. The only nack I have: we don't use him often down-field. I'm pretty sure he's also a top 10 WR downfield (like steve smith a couple of years ago).

I'll vouch for him. I remember because I was saying the exact same thing. There was a lot of resistance to Harvin on this board before the season started; shockingly, there were more Vikings fans doubting him than supporting him. All of that has evaporated now.

Peppers90 on the sig.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvin deserves a new deal, but he still hasnt shown he can be a #1 WR. Harvin is great at all the underneath stuff and being an explosive weapon, but he is simply not good at getting open down field, nor is he reliable down field. There lies the question, what do you pay Harvin as? There really isnt a market out there to reflect on in terms of Harvin's value. I would guess around 5 years/$40M.
Yfz01

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swiss_vike wrote:
Frank Costello wrote:

I remember being furious that everyone was voting for Dez Bryant over Percy Harvin. They made the poll right after Harvin requested a trade, but I'd love to revisit that now... So underrated on this board.

Lil Uno with the sig.
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dailytribune.com/article/20120926/SPORTS03/120929640/after-rocky-summer-percy-harvin-delivers-for-minnesota-vikings?mobredirect=true

Quote:
Harvin credited offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave with putting him in the right positions to produce. That’s a heartening stance after Harvin’s role in the red zone last year was minimized and may have played a role in his desire to play elsewhere.

But Harvin and the rest of the Vikings offense appears much more comfortable in the second year of Musgrave’s system. Quarterback Christian Ponder has taken more control of the offense in his first full season as a starter, tight end Kyle Rudolph is emerging as a legitimate threat over the middle and Adrian Peterson is getting closer to being fully healthy after knee surgery.

“Last year I think a lot of us didn’t know the offense like we wanted to know it,” Harvin said. “We knew it, but not up and down. We were just out there playing just trying to make plays.

“This year guys took it upon themselves to transform their bodies, to know the playbook up and down. So when we come on the field, it’s easy for Musgrave to say, `Hey Percy, go play this position. Hey Rudolph, go play this position.’ Because we all kind of know each other’s positions.”

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/09/26/12/Vikings-Harvin-has-the-respect-of-his-te/landing_mnvikings.html?blockID=796209&feedID=5930

Quote:
Harvin leads the league with 27 receptions and is the all-purpose yardage leader, and his willingness to do anything has inspired his teammates. Harvin has truly become a leader for Minnesota, and the unhappiness he showed during minicamp seems in the distant past.

"Yeah, I'd be happy if I was getting the ball as much as he is," quarterback Christian Ponder joked Wednesday. "He's doing well. He's a great teammate. Everyone loves him and loves being around him. He's stepping up huge right now this season. I know he's happy to be a Minnesota Viking and he's showing that right now."

"I dread to think where we'd be without him," coach Leslie Frazier said. "He's been terrific every phase and every situation we've asked him to make plays for us. He's done it repeatedly. The type of plays he makes, he energizes our entire team. He's extremely valuable to our cause; just happy that he's playing so well."
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no migraines any more either.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
no migraines any more either.

Just the ones he causes for the defense
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See I think Percy is a #1 WR, always did. He is just showing his worth because the game planning has finally changed, where they are going to utilize him the proper way.

We get lost in the notion of what a #1 WR is sometimes I think.

Alot times we think a #1WR, is 6-3, with close to 4.4 speed, with a big yards per catch average.

I just think #1 WR, is the equivalent of the #1 recieving threat, whatever his frame and playing style. When you have a player like Harvin, he deserves the offense thought process to be changed around him.

Many of times you look for an under receiver to open up the long distance WR threat. Here, we're looking for a long distance WR threat to further open up Harvin underneath.

I think of it this way, even if we did draft a "Justin Hunter", in my opinion I would still want more passes thrown Harvins way.

Very excited to have Simpson back. With Simpson serve as the long distance threat, I further see a promising season for both of them.

5/40M would be a bargain IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue was assuming Harvin to be paid with some of the best receivers in the league is that he is extremely limited as a downfield receiver. We havent seen anything from Harvin this year to suggest he can be that player to consistently get open 15+ yards down field and make those big catches. I have no problem paying Harvin a good chunk of money for his role as an undereath/yac receiver, he is clearly valuable in that regard, but until he shows more down field ball skills he will always be limited in comparison to other WRs in the league. Just look at Wes Welker he is a good comparison. Harvin is more explosive than Welker, but Welker has struggled to get a top 5 WR like contract simply because he has really been nothing more than just an underneath/yac receiver.

I like Harvin, I just hope the team doesnt overpay to keep him because I dont ever see him being on the level of a Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, AJ Green, receivers who just dominate all aspects of the game and most importantly, make those big plays down field.

There is a premium in this league for receivers who can stretch the field vertically and make those big time, down field game changing catches. Harvin has yet to score a TD this year and that is indicative of his lack of ability as a down field weapon since Rudolph is the red zone receiver Ponder prefers. Perhaps its just usage though, maybe the staff doesnt feel comfortable in taking those shots down field with him.
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Just look at Wes Welker he is a good comparison. Harvin is more explosive than Welker, but Welker has struggled to get a top 5 WR like contract simply because he has really been nothing more than just an underneath/yac receiver.

No, Welker's not getting that contract because he's 31. Percy is 24.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Just look at Wes Welker he is a good comparison. Harvin is more explosive than Welker, but Welker has struggled to get a top 5 WR like contract simply because he has really been nothing more than just an underneath/yac receiver.

No, Welker's not getting that contract because he's 31. Percy is 24.

If Welker was so highly valued, how come he wasnt ever rewarded with a substantial contract back in 08 or 09 when he was pulling in 120 catches. Its a similar situation to Harvin, Welker was never the type to score lots of TDs or have a high YPC. He was largely that 10 yds/catch type receiver, which Harvin has developed into this year. Its not bad for an offense to have a player like that, I just dont think teams see a lot of value in that type of player in terms of conract. I think Harvin has more potential than Welker and he is obviously younger, but I think there situations are somewhat comparable in terms of use within an offense. The Pats offense was always most prolific when they have a down field threat to pair with Welker (Moss/Gronk).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 2 of 36

Jump to: