Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Oh, mercy...it's Percy!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleNation22 wrote:
We would be talking about even more ridiculous things, like why VD has yet to attend a Vikings game... Rolling Eyes

stock in PurplePatrick has just dropped. SELL before it's too late.

Very Happy

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
VikesViggor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how NFL execs value a player, but there should be a few things to consider. If you were to to draft a player that gives you what Percy Harvin has proven he can give you at the NFL level, how high of a draft pick would you use to take that player? Then you can look at age. Percy Harvin is going to be 25 starting the season next year. That is only a couple years older than a college draft pick. How much of a factor is a couple years when you consider the age? I don't think attitude can factor in since it is on a coach to sell the game plan to the player and have him buy in. Percy has no off field problems that I am aware of since becoming a Viking, so that should not be a factor.

If I were drafting a player with the talent of Percy Harvin, I would have no problem pulling the trigger early to middle first round. Considering his age and how he has been through the learning curve years, I don't think that affects it since a contract, depending on length, would probably not push him out of his prime.

To me, I wouldn't accept any less than a first rounder. If the offer is less, I would pass.

I could be way off with the valuation of players, but just my opinion.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikings wideout Jarius Wright, who would replace the enigmatic Percy Harvin if Harvin isn't back, said he definitely wants Harvin back.

Wright: "I'm probably one of the biggest team players you'll ever meet. I'm hoping he comes back and I get a chance to play with him. I've always looked up to Percy."

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_22385267/shooter-now-marc-trestman-certainly-qualified-ex-vikings?source=rss

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Bermuda Viking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Vikings wideout Jarius Wright, who would replace the enigmatic Percy Harvin if Harvin isn't back, said he definitely wants Harvin back.

Wright: "I'm probably one of the biggest team players you'll ever meet. I'm hoping he comes back and I get a chance to play with him. I've always looked up to Percy."

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_22385267/shooter-now-marc-trestman-certainly-qualified-ex-vikings?source=rss

These two could do damage with Jennings on the field as well and Simpson for spice and Kyle Rudolph.

I would put money on Harvin and Jennings if we could. I really think Jennings powerful presence would mellow Harvin.

If not then let Harvin go for he won't respect a rookie and it will be all about him and his contract again even if we do sign him. Harvin is awesome but he lacks confidence in the offense and I think he won't do it alone once he has the big payout.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Jennings, Wright, and Harvin on the field we would have three receivers who work best from the slot...

Jennings can play on the outside, Wright did play on the outside for Arkansas (hasn't shown he can do so in the NFL), and Harvin can't play on the outside.

They could potentially work in a formation like this...

X - Kyle Rudolph
Z - Greg Jennings
Y - Percy Harvin (typically flexed TE spot)
R - Jarius Wright (slot)
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
With Jennings, Wright, and Harvin on the field we would have three receivers who work best from the slot...

Jennings can play on the outside, Wright did play on the outside for Arkansas (hasn't shown he can do so in the NFL), and Harvin can't play on the outside.

They could potentially work in a formation like this...

X - Kyle Rudolph
Z - Greg Jennings
Y - Percy Harvin (typically flexed TE spot)
R - Jarius Wright (slot)

That would be ideal, I think. Then throw in another 2nd or 3rd rd pick like Quinton Patton for when the team goes to a 3 wide set.

I question though if the team will be able to afford keeping Harvin around and paying Jennings.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF, we can get restructures from Jared Allen and Kevin Williams I think we can afford it. We then have Winfield (7.25M) and possibly Kevin Williams based on how he plays (depends on a restructure). Charlie Johnson's cap hit declines pretty significantly next year.

However, Jared Allen, Brian Robison, and Everson Griffen are all free agents after 2013 and I expect we bring 2 of them back.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
IF, we can get restructures from Jared Allen and Kevin Williams I think we can afford it. We then have Winfield (7.25M) and possibly Kevin Williams based on how he plays (depends on a restructure). Charlie Johnson's cap hit declines pretty significantly next year.

However, Jared Allen, Brian Robison, and Everson Griffen are all free agents after 2013 and I expect we bring 2 of them back.

Restructuring Allen probably means we are also extending him as well. Griffen needs to be a priority. Get him fairly cheap before he breaks out, kind of like what the Packers did with Jordy Nelson and James Jones.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Wallace or Jennings agree to come here, I certaintly think there is/will be enough money to reup Harvin toward the end of the offseason.

To me it would not matter having 2 big money WRs on the team, all that matter to me would be total salary over the whole roster. Rookies are making less, and utlimately alot of players under 4 years in the league will/are starting on this team.

Pay for the talent you need (dont have), as your drafted many of the talent you already have.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Vikings_Percy_Harvin_hits_escalator_nearly_doubling_base_salary013113

Quote:
Harvin unlocked another $1.45 million in escalators with his performance last season, pushing his 2013 base salary to $2.9 million, according to NFL Players' Association salary data.

Probably doesn't make any real difference in the Harvin situation, but hitting that might make him a bit happier, he gets more money and more content while things are worked through with him.

Unrelated, Cook got a $1 playing bonus from last year, so his cap number is about $2 mil.

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Vikings_Percy_Harvin_hits_escalator_nearly_doubling_base_salary013113

Quote:
Harvin unlocked another $1.45 million in escalators with his performance last season, pushing his 2013 base salary to $2.9 million, according to NFL Players' Association salary data.

Probably doesn't make any real difference in the Harvin situation, but hitting that might make him a bit happier, he gets more money and more content while things are worked through with him.

Unrelated, Cook got a $1 playing bonus from last year, so his cap number is about $2 mil.

I dont expect Harvin to play on his rookie deal next year. But that's just me. If MN could somehow force Harvin to play on $2.9 million next year, I would be thrilled with that. If I am the vikes I wouldnt feel comfortable giving him a big contract at this point.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:

Quote:

he really got a bonus that rewarded him 1 dollar?

Laughing

I think we are missing something here...

down but not out. I still believe!
The Gnat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
The Gnat wrote:

Quote:

he really got a bonus that rewarded him 1 dollar?

Laughing

I think we are missing something here...

Whoops, forgot to write mil after it.

Klomp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be honest, towards the end of the regular season I thought there was no way Percy would be back. However, hearing thoughts from Leslie, Christian, and Rick in their year-end pressers makes me think there's a good chance.

At this point, I would resign Percy to a fair deal, and add a second WR through FA or draft. At this point, I'm leaning towards drafting one in the 1st or 2nd.

Percy
Rookie
Wright
Simpson
Burton/Jenkins/Childs
Klomp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Harvin, Welker, and Cruz contract situations will all be interesting to watch.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 33 of 36

Jump to: