Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Which CB's move to Safety?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Which CB's move to Safety? Reply with quote

Which CB's in the 2013 draft do you think will be better served converting to Safety?
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah Hyde, Iowa
David Amerson, North Carolina State
Travis Howard, Ohio State

#JDI
keepnitgangsta1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that David Amerson will be the first safety drafted if he decides to come out.

My NFL Draft Thread
Meco

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keepnitgangsta1 wrote:
I think that David Amerson will be the first safety drafted if he decides to come out.

Eric Reid and TJ McDonald would like a word with you…
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meco wrote:
keepnitgangsta1 wrote:

Eric Reid and TJ McDonald would like a word with you…

David Amerson's 13 INT's last year would like a word with you...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyrann Mathieu
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnathan Banks.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:

Ball skills aren't the only thing that makes a good safety. He's really soft in run support, and I'm not sure how well he'd do if you asked him to be on an island by himself. I think he's almost going to have to play a centerfield role at the next level. He's my #3 safety prospect right now behind Eric Reed and Tony Jefferson.

simonwayne wrote:
This one is over. Mark down the dubya.

Colts 45 - Chiefs 44
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
james.mcmurry13 wrote:

Ball skills aren't the only thing that makes a good safety. He's really soft in run support, and I'm not sure how well he'd do if you asked him to be on an island by himself. I think he's almost going to have to play a centerfield role at the next level. He's my #3 safety prospect right now behind Eric Reed and Tony Jefferson.

What do you think about Robert Lester or T.J McDonald? Do you give Lester a 1st round grade where depending on early entries could possibly be around in round 2?

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
What do you think about Robert Lester or T.J McDonald? Do you give Lester a 1st round grade where depending on early entries could possibly be around in round 2?

Haven't had a chance to update my safety board, but right now McDonald is ahead of Lester. I think both are more of second round values than really worth first round picks. Right now, I've only got two safeties, Tony Jefferson (FS) and Eric Reid (SS) worth first round picks. FWIW, I think Lester is a better safety prospect than Mark Barron whom I thought was a third round pick that got drafted WAY too high by the Buccaneers.

simonwayne wrote:

Colts 45 - Chiefs 44
JerseyTitan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly makes a corner more suitable for safety? I really wonder about Amerson...I only watched him against Tennessee and he got lit up, but he has had a pick in each game since. I don't know what to think.

On the topic of first round safeties, Lester from Alabama looks great. Real aggressive, great tackler, and defensive knowledge. Vaccaro from Texas is also great. These two might be more suited for SS than FS.
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseyTitan wrote:
What exactly makes a corner more suitable for safety? I really wonder about Amerson...I only watched him against Tennessee and he got lit up, but he has had a pick in each game since. I don't know what to think.

On the topic of first round safeties, Lester from Alabama looks great. Real aggressive, great tackler, and defensive knowledge. Vaccaro from Texas is also great. These two might be more suited for SS than FS.

Size/speed ratio is generally what I look for. If you're a 5'11" corner that can't run a 4.5 40 or lower, moving him to safety seems like a prudent idea unless you plan on running exclusively zone with him in which case he needs to have sound zone skills and strong tackling skills. Basically, the guys I don't think physically can go run with a receiver and keep them in check are guys who likely need to move to safety.

In the case of Amerson, I just don't think he has the long speed to keep up with the top receivers. I think he can handle the possession receivers just fine, but he'll struggle against the receiver with a quick first step. Especially if he can't get his press coverage down right.

simonwayne wrote:

Colts 45 - Chiefs 44
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:

Haven't had a chance to update my safety board, but right now McDonald is ahead of Lester. I think both are more of second round values than really worth first round picks. Right now, I've only got two safeties, Tony Jefferson (FS) and Eric Reid (SS) worth first round picks. FWIW, I think Lester is a better safety prospect than Mark Barron whom I thought was a third round pick that got drafted WAY too high by the Buccaneers.

I agree on Lester being a better all-around prospect than Barron. Supposedly he has been playing well for the Buccaneers from what I have heard, but I think you are right, he seemed to be taken a bit higher than expected. For the Chiefs, I would love to have a shot at Lester in round 2 as serious competition for Kendrick Lewis now and as the long term free safety.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:

You think Reid is a SS?

McDonald is a good second round prospect, but over aggressive.

Agree on Lester, I think he's a better prospect and I may not take Lester round 1.
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
james.mcmurry13 wrote:

True. And he's far from the typical safety conversion (really nothing like Malcolm Jenkins or Antrel Rolle, 2 recent examples). But (this is all assuming his season goes more like the past 2 games than like the Tennessee game) I think that as long as he runs under 4.6, which isn't a sure thing, he'll be set in stone in the top 15 of the draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: