Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Early Draft talks (2013)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Stars


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 768
Location: 3 miles from Tottenham
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
I see no reason we should be letting Starks go unless he asks for some rediculous salary. I know it's a position of strength right now, but I'd like to keep it that way. If indeed we plan to build through the draft and not free agents, then we need to make sure we keep the talent we already have on the roster. We are currently over 50 mil under the cap going into next season. We have plenty of money to resign Bush, Hartline, Long, McDaniels, Starks, Smith, and Fasano.

Long - 12 mil per
Bush - 7 mil per
Hartline - 6 mil per
Smith - 7 mil per
Fasano - 3 mil per
Starks - 6 mil per
McDaniels - 3 mil per

Even at these numbers, and you could argue more or less for each guy, we are talking about 44 mil. Am I missing somebody? Am I too conservative in my numbers? I see no reason we can't resign any of these guys we want to resign as long as they aren't asking for numbers they just aren't worth. It's very likely one of those guys above just gets a rediculous offer from somebody and we don't get them back. If that happens whether it be Jake Long or Tony mCdANIELS, THEN we let them walk, but I don't think any one of those guys is a guy we let walk if the money is right.

Notice I put Jake Long in at 12 mil. I wouldn't pay him any more than that. If another team offers him more and he takes it, then we go looking elsewhere in free agency for a LT or another position of need and draft a LT. I still think we should try to resign Long, but only at a price that makes sense. I wouldn't give him the 15 mil he is making now.
For that reason, it's far from impossible that we'll be looking to take an OT with our first selection.

Hmm. Still lots of key needs, in positions not easily filled through FA.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ProudDolphan47


Moderator
Joined: 07 Dec 2007
Posts: 5626
Location: Lancaster, PA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:

Long - 12 mil per
Bush - 7 mil per
Hartline - 6 mil per
Smith - 7 mil per
Fasano - 3 mil per
Starks - 6 mil per
McDaniels - 3 mil per


Actually interested to hear the points of views on everyone on this list. Who deserves what, who needs to go (aside of Jake...we know where people stand on that haha) how much they deserve to get paid, ect.
_________________
-Proud 2011 Inductee to FF's Miami Dolphins RoH

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ViolentMonk71


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 3766
Location: Don Shula's front porch
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudDolphan47 wrote:
bpastermack wrote:

Long - 12 mil per
Bush - 7 mil per
Hartline - 6 mil per
Smith - 7 mil per
Fasano - 3 mil per
Starks - 6 mil per
McDaniels - 3 mil per


Actually interested to hear the points of views on everyone on this list. Who deserves what, who needs to go (aside of Jake...we know where people stand on that haha) how much they deserve to get paid, ect.


I think Starks, Smith, and Hartline are "must signs".

The Long subject has been discussed at length in another thread and will leave that info there.

Bush....if the Phins can...great, if not oh well....I'm still under the impression that RBs are a dime a dozen (look at New England)....

Fasano....He's serviceable, but if the Phins are hoping to get that big play TE then it may be time to part ways.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fishfan4life


Joined: 15 Mar 2012
Posts: 1953
Location: santa rosa california
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake long 11 million my personal opnion is we need to keep him but i understand the other line of thinking.

randy starks. 5.5/6 mil. langford got 4.5 starks is better but more wear on the tires also. really want to keep the DL a strength.

sean smith 6.5/7 mil. I think out of all the guys this is the one to keep but i also think he is the one who wants to break the bank

brian hartline 3.5/4 i think the 6 mil above is to high for my blood just me. Im very confident he knows he can have success here and this gets done.

reggie bush 6/7 mil. this honestly is the toughest call the franchise is gonna have to make especially if he wants a forte type 4 year deal. Maybe a 3 year deal with the 3rd year not being as much as first 2 years. hopefully the staff will know where lamar miller devlopement is
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fishfan4life


Joined: 15 Mar 2012
Posts: 1953
Location: santa rosa california
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also believe we let clemons walk and mcdaniel walk we did fine without him and kheston randall was getting quality snaps and comes cheaper.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bpastermack


Joined: 17 Feb 2009
Posts: 13172
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
I also believe we let clemons walk and mcdaniel walk we did fine without him and kheston randall was getting quality snaps and comes cheaper.


Of all the guys I would want to still be in Miami those are probably the two lowest on my list. But they would also probably be the cheapest. I agree that Randle basically replaces McDaniel, and has more potential, and is younger and cheaper. Maybe if we let him and Clemmons walk, then we can afford to grab a solid OG in Free Agency or a good WR to throw in the mix?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bpastermack


Joined: 17 Feb 2009
Posts: 13172
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
Jake long 11 million my personal opnion is we need to keep him but i understand the other line of thinking.

randy starks. 5.5/6 mil. langford got 4.5 starks is better but more wear on the tires also. really want to keep the DL a strength.

sean smith 6.5/7 mil. I think out of all the guys this is the one to keep but i also think he is the one who wants to break the bank

brian hartline 3.5/4 i think the 6 mil above is to high for my blood just me. Im very confident he knows he can have success here and this gets done.

reggie bush 6/7 mil. this honestly is the toughest call the franchise is gonna have to make especially if he wants a forte type 4 year deal. Maybe a 3 year deal with the 3rd year not being as much as first 2 years. hopefully the staff will know where lamar miller devlopement is


Some of the better number 2 WR's in the NFL get in the 6 mil range a year. That's where I got that number from.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dolphan9954


Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Posts: 6955
Location: Miami
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudDolphan47 wrote:
bpastermack wrote:

Long - 12 mil per
Bush - 7 mil per
Hartline - 6 mil per
Smith - 7 mil per
Fasano - 3 mil per
Starks - 6 mil per
McDaniels - 3 mil per


Actually interested to hear the points of views on everyone on this list. Who deserves what, who needs to go (aside of Jake...we know where people stand on that haha) how much they deserve to get paid, ect.


I would pay:

Long: 12 mil
Bush: 4-5
Hartline: 6
Smith: 8.5
Fasano: 3
Starks: 7

That's about 40 million, create a few million in cap space by cap adjustments and that's probably as accurate as it gets. Smith is going to be expensive. He probably will get top 7 CB money.
_________________


Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig


Go Canes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bpastermack


Joined: 17 Feb 2009
Posts: 13172
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
ProudDolphan47 wrote:
bpastermack wrote:

Long - 12 mil per
Bush - 7 mil per
Hartline - 6 mil per
Smith - 7 mil per
Fasano - 3 mil per
Starks - 6 mil per
McDaniels - 3 mil per


Actually interested to hear the points of views on everyone on this list. Who deserves what, who needs to go (aside of Jake...we know where people stand on that haha) how much they deserve to get paid, ect.


I would pay:

Long: 12 mil
Bush: 4-5
Hartline: 6
Smith: 8.5
Fasano: 3
Starks: 7

That's about 40 million, create a few million in cap space by cap adjustments and that's probably as accurate as it gets. Smith is going to be expensive. He probably will get top 7 CB money.


Not bad overall, except you won't be paying Bush that kind of money. He will be in a different uniform next year. NBo way he takes a pay cut after outperforming even some of the best expectations people had of him. He will make 6-8 mil a season next year either as a phin or on another team.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fishfan4life


Joined: 15 Mar 2012
Posts: 1953
Location: santa rosa california
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you are probably right about hartline hopefully its in the middle
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ajiggel72


Joined: 07 Mar 2010
Posts: 168
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pay:

Long: 11 mil per
Smith: 8 mill per
Hartline: 6.75 mill per
Starks: 5.25 mill per
Bush: 4.75 mill per
Fasano: 2.15 mill per

= 38 million

Leaving about 6 million for rookies we are under the projected cap by 5 million dollars

If Bush and Fasano walk for better deals (unlikely I think) that opens up 7 mill per season.... 7+ the open 5 mill = 11.75 mill

In this scenario I would also sign D.Bowe to a 4 year 32 million dollar contract (8 mill. a yr)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PhinFan52


Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 4341
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't Cliff Avril DE (det) aswell as Fred Davis TE (skins) going to be FA ?
I would love to see atleast one of them in Miami next season ? If we signed Avril.. we could go Stud WR in 1st the .. DB...OL...LB.. in 2nd and 3rd rd....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dolphinologist


Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 5587
Location: New York
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you think Jake Long is gonna take a PAY CUT to play in a system that is taking him out of the HOF like he was a trespasser ? The Jets will give him a blank check if they retain Sporano.

I'd hate to be in a scenario where both Fasano and Egnew have multi-year deals here. Dude has to learn the blocking scheme before the start of next season. I know this sounds crazy, but I get the feeling that Incognito is intimidating or bullying Egnew and Egnews confidence is shot.

In a perfect world the RB we got from the canes, would be our new Reggie Bush and we could let him go too. But I wouldn't be mad at all if we resigned Reggie.

In that same world we could move Odrick to the interior and let Starks hit the market. But I wouldn't be mad if we resigned him either.

Hartline and Smith play at a position where we need more of them. It will be a step backwards to let either one of them go. But we still need an upgrade at their positions.
_________________


Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
green4gulf


Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Posts: 2276
Location: TN, by way of Palm Beach FL
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
So you think Jake Long is gonna take a PAY CUT to play in a system that is taking him out of the HOF like he was a trespasser ? The Jets will give him a blank check if they retain Sporano.

I'd hate to be in a scenario where both Fasano and Egnew have multi-year deals here. Dude has to learn the blocking scheme before the start of next season. I know this sounds crazy, but I get the feeling that Incognito is intimidating or bullying Egnew and Egnews confidence is shot.

In a perfect world the RB we got from the canes, would be our new Reggie Bush and we could let him go too. But I wouldn't be mad at all if we resigned Reggie.

In that same world we could move Odrick to the interior and let Starks hit the market. But I wouldn't be mad if we resigned him either.

Hartline and Smith play at a position where we need more of them. It will be a step backwards to let either one of them go. But we still need an upgrade at their positions.


I agree with you in the bold, yet from my point of view I can see that whether the Jets retain Sporano or not.

I'd like to see our DL rotation become; Starks, Soliai, Odrick at DT and Wake, Vernon, top FA / draft pick at DE. I do realize that's probably too good to be true, but IMO it makes sense if we can afford it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phinmun


Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 2231
Location: South Carolina
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf wrote:
dolphinologist wrote:
So you think Jake Long is gonna take a PAY CUT to play in a system that is taking him out of the HOF like he was a trespasser ? The Jets will give him a blank check if they retain Sporano.

I'd hate to be in a scenario where both Fasano and Egnew have multi-year deals here. Dude has to learn the blocking scheme before the start of next season. I know this sounds crazy, but I get the feeling that Incognito is intimidating or bullying Egnew and Egnews confidence is shot.

In a perfect world the RB we got from the canes, would be our new Reggie Bush and we could let him go too. But I wouldn't be mad at all if we resigned Reggie.

In that same world we could move Odrick to the interior and let Starks hit the market. But I wouldn't be mad if we resigned him either.

Hartline and Smith play at a position where we need more of them. It will be a step backwards to let either one of them go. But we still need an upgrade at their positions.


I agree with you in the bold, yet from my point of view I can see that whether the Jets retain Sporano or not.

I'd like to see our DL rotation become; Starks, Soliai, Odrick at DT and Wake, Vernon, top FA / draft pick at DE. I do realize that's probably too good to be true, but IMO it makes sense if we can afford it.



Let me tell you why re-signing Randy Starks may dictate what we do in the draft, especially in the 1st round.


Between Odrick getting 1st-round money, Wake getting a new deal and Soliai also getting a new deal, we don't really have enough money to put more than another big-contract on that line. Vernon isn't big money but if we resign Starks, that will be a sizable contract. We can't expect this team to both re-sign Starks and also pay a 1st-round DE prospect.

This also seems to make sense logistically. If we resign Starks that means that he and Soliai will be the primary DTs on this team. We're not going to push Odrick (a 1st rounder) inside to 'rotate' with them. He's going to warrant a starting position somewhere. Re-signing Starks forces Odrick to play DE. Furthermore, we're not going to have a 1st-round DE step into a 4-man line where 2 guys have to stand on the sideline on any given play! Laughing

We just simply can't have 2 1st-round selections (Odrick & ____) as well as 3 other guys with big contracts (Wake, Soliai & Starks).


So, I guess what I'm saying is, for all you who want Starks, don't waste time scouting 1st-round DE prospects and for those who want to do that, don't go shouting about how good Starks is for this team.

That'll be another choice we're faced with aside from this Jake Long fiasco.

We can't expect this team to employ 3 big-money DTs and play 1 of them as rotational. That just won't happen.

If we re-sign Starks to play inside, it will signify to me that Odrick is going to have to stay outside at least until he plays out his contract and another top-tier DE can be considered.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group