Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Arsenal Football Club Part IV: Top of the table!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 97, 98, 99  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Soccer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Wyzzinator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BirdsFan06050 wrote:
The Wyzzinator wrote:
BirdsFan06050 wrote:
I think the Fox Soccer report was actually just Nacho Monreal.

There appears to be a slim chance we sign Villa, but other than that it looks to be an underwhelming day.

Yeah most likely - Fox Soccer isn't the type of outlet to be able to break any kind of transfer news.

Monreal is certainly more than I had hoped for today, so anything else is an added benefit

It's a nice deal and all, but I was really hoping for an attacking-oriented player. For a club that is built on its free-flowing style, our offense has just been way too predictable and inconsistent this year.

Well Benik Afobe is back from loan, so I suppose that's like a new signing.. Oh and Gervinho is coming back soon Smile

teamorange wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
This game wasnt that bad. Ive seen much worse.

Of course. you watch Chelsea.
The Wyzzinator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@wayneveysey
Nacho Monreal has passed #AFC medical and agreed a 60,000-a-week four-and-a-half-year contract. Just the formalities to complete.

Happy enough to have at least gotten one player in on deadline day - I didn't expect any when I woke up this morning.. Very relieved that Santos will not be playing LB for us; perhaps just a late sub at LW from time to time.

I hope Monreal can play against Stoke on Saturday, but it may be too soon.

teamorange wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wyzzinator wrote:
@wayneveysey
Nacho Monreal has passed #AFC medical and agreed a 60,000-a-week four-and-a-half-year contract. Just the formalities to complete.

Happy enough to have at least gotten one player in on deadline day - I didn't expect any when I woke up this morning.. Very relieved that Santos will not be playing LB for us; perhaps just a late sub at LW from time to time.

I hope Monreal can play against Stoke on Saturday, but it may be too soon.

And even then, when Gervinho comes back and/or Gibbs is healthy, we're probably more likely to see one of them make the match roster than Santos. Wouldn't be shocked to see Gibbs brought on in the same capacity that Santos had been - as a "more defensive" option at LW when protecting a lead.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santos won't play anymore, I iz sad. Honestly though this is a good business move, should improve the team

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
LeeEvans

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially considering Gibbs might be out for up to 6 weeks now.

The night is dark and full of terrors.
The Wyzzinator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good old Stoke coming to town.. we've won 4 of the last 4 in the league against them at the Emirates. As long as we don't insist on giving silly FK's away in our 3rd (or even entire half) then I think we'll be okay; also limit corners to throws as they don't have anyone as potent on the long throws as Delap used to be.

Nacho will wear #17

Quote:
@Arsenal

TEAM NEWS: 'Monreal is available for the weekend game. Arteta could be back in the squad. Coquelin is out, Vermaelen is a doubt' #AFCvSCFC

Sounds like it'll be Sagna-Mertesacker-Koscielny-Monreal at the back if Wenger thinks the Nachoman is ready to go in such a short turn-around.

teamorange wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

Kempes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this Monreal signing I have to say.
The Wyzzinator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arsene: "We were very close to one more signing, but in the end we decided not to do it now."

I wonder if it was Villa - and I'm in the extreme minority that wasn't really too concerned with getting another striker. I think for the immediate future, a LB is more important if Gibbs really is out for 4-6 weeks.

Everyone loves buying attacking players (myself included) because it's a flashy signing, but I can't think of any realistic targets available that would have cracked the current starting XI based on how well the front 3 of Podolski/Giroud/Walcott is playing at the present time. Ox is having what seems to be a 'sophomore slump' but I expect he'll bounce out of it, but aside from that we're kind of short up front which may better be addressed in the summer.

teamorange wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wyzzinator wrote:
Everyone loves buying attacking players (myself included) because it's a flashy signing, but I can't think of any realistic targets available that would have cracked the current starting XI based on how well the front 3 of Podolski/Giroud/Walcott is playing at the present time. Ox is having what seems to be a 'sophomore slump' but I expect he'll bounce out of it, but aside from that we're kind of short up front which may better be addressed in the summer.
To me, thing that has undone Arsenal year after year has not necessarily been the quality of the starting XI, but moreso their lack of depth and inability to offer the super subs that our rivals can throw on. And given we're still in 3 competitions (even if we are heavy underdogs against Bayern, it's a tournament so grand that it's worth dreaming of while you're in it, as Chelsea showed last year), we run the risk of running these lads into the ground.

Because of that, I think having someone like Villa would have been extremely useful. It allows us some flexibility when matching up against different teams and cover for when Giroud or Walcott hits a rough patch, and it's not as if we wouldn't have found opportunities to get him into the starting lineup more than enough to make him feel like it was worth coming over from Barca. When Plan A doesn't work we often have no Plan B. How many times have we seen Arsene throw Arshavin or Chamakh before him on in a 0-0 or 1-0 deficit because they represent the best attacking options on the bench? Or even worse, taking a striker off and putting a Coquelin/Ramsey type on because there's no point in even acting like we can score?

I think adding a striker like Villa would have allowed us to credibly offer one or two of Giroud/Ox/Villa/Walcott/Podolski off the bench for 20-30 minutes in a tough match, and it would mean a lot for this team.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
The Wyzzinator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably quite right, BTerp. I think I sometimes fall into that classic, yearly Arsenal supporter trap of "Well, we're probably not winning the CL, so we just need enough to shore up a Top 4 spot and THEN strengthen", which has proven to be a viscous circle of complacency and empty promises about "heavy investment".

That said, I do really hope we can make Wembley this season (FA Cup of course)- you'd expect the side, even a semi-weakened one to be able to beat Blackburn at home, and then it'll all just come down to the quarter-final draw. I actually do think we can make a tie of it vs. Bayern but they just have so much depth it will be a difficult one.

teamorange wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

RoxSox2004

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7am for the game tomorrow...the life of a California EPL fan. Laughing
The Wyzzinator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoxSox2004 wrote:
7am for the game tomorrow...the life of a California EPL fan. Laughing

That wouldn't be so tough for me, but the earlier games (4:30 AM) would be quite a hassle.

My winter football league games have been coinciding with Arsenal lately, so I've been DVR'ing them, but I can never bring myself to not check the score/follow the action on Twitter.. something about watching live sporting events on a delay/after the fact is so unappealing to me.

I still generally go back and watch the whole game but knowing the outcome (at least when it's a loss/draw) is no fun.

teamorange wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

RoxSox2004

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not capable of recording games to watch them. The second I wake up, I check the score. I can't resist it.
eggybucsfan31

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No words.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, Russia does have some progressive fashion norms.. but those sleeves are a bit much, to put it lightly..

teamorange wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Soccer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 42 of 99

Jump to: