Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rank The Top Five Defenses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meco

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Texans
2. Seahawks
3. 49ers
4. Cardinals
5. Eagles
-They've only allowed 4 touchdowns this season despite the offense consistently putting them in horrendous position. Heck, the offense has given up nearly as many touchdowns (2) as the defense has. They're playing out of their minds.
baconrad3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers4life52 wrote:
Lol at the people saying the 49ers defense isn't top 5. Talk about an overreaction after one game.

1. 49ers (They been playing elite since last year and one game doesn't dethrone them.)
2. Texans
3. Seattle
4. Cardinals
5.Eagles

Relax....Most people agree that SF has one of the best defenses in the league...

The only person in this thread I've seen not put them in their top 5 is Maddhatter....I'd like to hear an explanation for why they're not top 5, though..

#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it more tongue in cheek than anything - its 3 freaking weeks. I listed then in order of fewest points allowed - thought that was obvious

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
I did it more tongue in cheek than anything - its 3 freaking weeks. I listed then in order of fewest points allowed - thought that was obvious

Yeah, how stupid of me to not know the exact order of defenses with the lowest PPGA....

#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o_0 wrote:
bootsy wrote:
Dallas has the number 1 ranked defense right now and not one person mentioned them.

Top ranked defense in terms of what? Yards? Laughing The reason no one has mentioned Dallas is because they are not a top 5 defense.

#7 in points per game and of their 54 points given up, 7 were not attributable to the defense at all (a blocked punt for a TD) and 6 more were field goals where the opponent was handed the ball inside the 10 yd line by a turnover (in other words, those were positive defensive stands, not scoring drives given up). Add in that the Cowboys have a 2-1 record while tied for the least points scored in the league and I'd say the defense deserves consideration.

They've played outstanding football, only looking at all rough forthe second half of the Seattle game, where Seattle was able to wear them out with Marshawn Lynch.

Dallas is yielding a miserly 5.9 yards per attempt, passing, tied for 3rd in the league and a miniscule 137 yds per game passing, all alone in 2nd place.

I don't see why they aren't worth discussing as a top 5 D. Edit to add: at this stage.
JJ89

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I have them ranked as

1. Texans
2. 49'ers
3. Seahawks
4. Cardinals
5. Eagles

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
o_0 wrote:
bootsy wrote:
Dallas has the number 1 ranked defense right now and not one person mentioned them.

Top ranked defense in terms of what? Yards? Laughing The reason no one has mentioned Dallas is because they are not a top 5 defense.

#7 in points per game and of their 54 points given up, 7 were not attributable to the defense at all (a blocked punt for a TD) and 6 more were field goals where the opponent was handed the ball inside the 10 yd line by a turnover (in other words, those were positive defensive stands, not scoring drives given up). Add in that the Cowboys have a 2-1 record while tied for the least points scored in the league and I'd say the defense deserves consideration.

They've played outstanding football, only looking at all rough forthe second half of the Seattle game, where Seattle was able to wear them out with Marshawn Lynch.

Dallas is yielding a miserly 5.9 yards per attempt, passing, tied for 3rd in the league and a miniscule 137 yds per game passing, all alone in 2nd place.

I don't see why they aren't worth discussing as a top 5 D. Edit to add: at this stage.

No, no, no. The Cowboys defense does not deserve to be mentioned in the top five, just no, especially after the Seahawks game. The defense got beaten up, battered, completely embarresed by a rookie QB who has been struggling (despite his good QB rating he has a dismal completion percentage and Y/A), and ran over by Marshawn Lynch. The Cowboys allowed one of the worst offenses in football to systematically march 90 yards down the field and score a TD at will. In the second half Marshawn Lynch rushed for over 100 yards, and the offense controlled the ball for almost all of the half. The Cowboys were at the Seahawks mercy, again one of the worst offenses in football.

The other top 5 defenses thus far have not been systematically destroyed like the Cowboys D was. Philly, Seattle, Houston, SF, and Arizona are obviously a class above the Cowboys at this time.
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bears defense has been very very good the first three games, but the knock against them is that they've played O-lines that were subpar or banged up (or both), and that's not changing this week with Dallas. The safeties haven't really been challenged because the front 4 has been pretty dominant. I'd like to see them go against a good o-line.
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Off the top of my head, going into week 4, not taking into account the 2011 season:

1. 49ers: Don't let one bad outing from an up-and-coming QB sway you; This secondary is still a very stout unit, one that creates turnovers and incompletions. The LBs are fundamentally sound and able to make plays based on a great understanding of the game and amazing athletic ability. The DL is very disruptive, able to get to the QB as well as shield the LBs from oncoming blockers. This defense is able to play some very good ball against very great offenses, and Sunday was the exception, not the norm.

2. Texans: The Texans D showed some signs of weakness with the 4th quarter rally orchestrated by Peyton Manning, but they made key stops when needed. This team is anchored by the best DE in football right now, and has playmakers that can carry the team if need be. I feel as if their best football is ahead of them, but we shall see with a brutal QB schedule on tap.

3. Cardinals: This defense is pretty stout from top to bottom, with playmakers on the DL, at ILB and OLB, and in the secondary. They play fast, they force mistakes, they play good overall D and great situational D. They've come together as a cohesive unit, and they play some tough football.

4. Seahawks: 8 sacks in a single half on the NFL MVP, one of the biggest and strongest secondaries in the NFL, Bruce Irvin proving to be worthy of the #15 pick in the draft. This defense has a pretty scary upside to it, as the individual pieces start to come together a bit more.

5. Falcons: To think, they are doing this with their best CB out for the year with an achillies tear. Both Asante Samuel and Dunta Robinson have been able to turn around their weaknesses, and the back end duo of Thomas DeCoud and William Moore is arguably the best S duo in the NFL (with all due respect to Earl Thomas/Kam Chancellor and Ed Reed/Bernard Pollard).

Agreed with this list for the most part. Definitely disagree with the bolded, though.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Off the top of my head, going into week 4, not taking into account the 2011 season:

1. 49ers: Don't let one bad outing from an up-and-coming QB sway you; This secondary is still a very stout unit, one that creates turnovers and incompletions. The LBs are fundamentally sound and able to make plays based on a great understanding of the game and amazing athletic ability. The DL is very disruptive, able to get to the QB as well as shield the LBs from oncoming blockers. This defense is able to play some very good ball against very great offenses, and Sunday was the exception, not the norm.

2. Texans: The Texans D showed some signs of weakness with the 4th quarter rally orchestrated by Peyton Manning, but they made key stops when needed. This team is anchored by the best DE in football right now, and has playmakers that can carry the team if need be. I feel as if their best football is ahead of them, but we shall see with a brutal QB schedule on tap.

3. Cardinals: This defense is pretty stout from top to bottom, with playmakers on the DL, at ILB and OLB, and in the secondary. They play fast, they force mistakes, they play good overall D and great situational D. They've come together as a cohesive unit, and they play some tough football.

4. Seahawks: 8 sacks in a single half on the NFL MVP, one of the biggest and strongest secondaries in the NFL, Bruce Irvin proving to be worthy of the #15 pick in the draft. This defense has a pretty scary upside to it, as the individual pieces start to come together a bit more.

5. Falcons: To think, they are doing this with their best CB out for the year with an achillies tear. Both Asante Samuel and Dunta Robinson have been able to turn around their weaknesses, and the back end duo of Thomas DeCoud and William Moore is arguably the best S duo in the NFL (with all due respect to Earl Thomas/Kam Chancellor and Ed Reed/Bernard Pollard).

Agreed with this list for the most part. Definitely disagree with the bolded, though.

No, understood. It could be because I see more Falcons than I do Seahawks or Ravens, but I really think that duo in Atlanta is doing some special things. I know Pollard has REALLY turned his game around from his time in Houston and KC, so please don't think I'm holding his past against him. He and Reed make up a top 3 duo, with a pretty wide gap between #3 and #4, to be honest.

However...what I see from the Atlanta group, I haven't seen since Steve Atwater and Dennis Smith patrolled the back end for Denver back in the 80s...just some special stuff. Fundamentally sound in each aspect of the game, able to play the run and the pass with big results, churning along with nary a sign of slowing down.

Here's some food for thought: Atlanta lost their #1 CB for the year with a torn achillies. Brent Grimes was a VERY good corner, extremely underrated and a top 5 guy if you look at what he's done. Has that even been noticed in the Falcons season so far? I know the Falcons have some good depth, but to say that Asante Samuel and Dunta Robinson have their flaws is a massive understatement. Samuel has been the definition of a boom/bust CB, one who is softer than two ply. On the other side of the spectrum is Robinson, a tough guy who couldn't cover the check at McDonalds dollar menu, if you were to spot him a dollar. Yet, this pass D has been outstanding in the wake of the Grimes injury. This tells me that either these two CBs have matured as players (could be the case, but if what I have seen from Robinson is telling, I can say it ISN'T the case) or DeCoud/Moore are playing THAT well, to where these two CBs can make mistakes and these two clean up the mess.

Nonetheless, I can see where you're coming from. Just going off of what I see so far.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

No, understood. It could be because I see more Falcons than I do Seahawks or Ravens, but I really think that duo in Atlanta is doing some special things. I know Pollard has REALLY turned his game around from his time in Houston and KC, so please don't think I'm holding his past against him. He and Reed make up a top 3 duo, with a pretty wide gap between #3 and #4, to be honest.

However...what I see from the Atlanta group, I haven't seen since Steve Atwater and Dennis Smith patrolled the back end for Denver back in the 80s...just some special stuff. Fundamentally sound in each aspect of the game, able to play the run and the pass with big results, churning along with nary a sign of slowing down.

Here's some food for thought: Atlanta lost their #1 CB for the year with a torn achillies. Brent Grimes was a VERY good corner, extremely underrated and a top 5 guy if you look at what he's done. Has that even been noticed in the Falcons season so far? I know the Falcons have some good depth, but to say that Asante Samuel and Dunta Robinson have their flaws is a massive understatement. Samuel has been the definition of a boom/bust CB, one who is softer than two ply. On the other side of the spectrum is Robinson, a tough guy who couldn't cover the check at McDonalds dollar menu, if you were to spot him a dollar. Yet, this pass D has been outstanding in the wake of the Grimes injury. This tells me that either these two CBs have matured as players (could be the case, but if what I have seen from Robinson is telling, I can say it ISN'T the case) or DeCoud/Moore are playing THAT well, to where these two CBs can make mistakes and these two clean up the mess.

Nonetheless, I can see where you're coming from. Just going off of what I see so far.

No, I think that you're just salty that Pollard didn't go full beast until after Houston.

jk Cool

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

No, I think that you're just salty that Pollard didn't go full beast until after Houston.

jk Cool

Unrelated side note: Pollard actually bought my friends and I a few rounds of beers once; It was after the 2009 win over New England in Houston, one that got us at 9-7 for the year. We went to a string of bars that's close to Reliant to watch the game, and we were hanging out afterwards when he walked in. Nobody really recognized him but us, so we told him to join our table and hang out for a while, watch the Jets/Bengals game. He didn't join us, but he stayed and chit chatted for a while with us, and kept on buying us beer (he was drinking water). I think we talked about football for a whole 10 minutes, and the rest of the conversation was about everything else - women, food, whatever.

Really cool guy, good to see him doing well now. He was either loved or hated in Houston, so it's good to see him get nothing but love from Baltimore.

Now...Jacoby Jones, on the other hand. Enjoy this for now, because the bottom is BOUND to fall out sooner rather than later. Laughing

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
motorcycle wrote:
My rankings are only from week 1 to today!

1. Arizona
2. Seattle
3. Houston
4. San Francisco
5. Philadelphia

Arizona has had the toughest schedule of the 5 so are top in my opinion. Sam Acho has been unexpectedly (for me) vastly improved this season, they have the best pair of 34 DEs in the league, Washington was amazing v Philly (especially on the fumble recovery touchdown) and Peterson may be my best cornerback of 2012/13 so far.

Except its like third and not even the best in their division. Laughing

I don't see anything funny about it personally. I'll take our pair of ends against any other 3-4 team every day of the week, ESPECIALLY after our guys' level of play through 3 weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Unrelated side note: Pollard actually bought my friends and I a few rounds of beers once; It was after the 2009 win over New England in Houston, one that got us at 9-7 for the year. We went to a string of bars that's close to Reliant to watch the game, and we were hanging out afterwards when he walked in. Nobody really recognized him but us, so we told him to join our table and hang out for a while, watch the Jets/Bengals game. He didn't join us, but he stayed and chit chatted for a while with us, and kept on buying us beer (he was drinking water). I think we talked about football for a whole 10 minutes, and the rest of the conversation was about everything else - women, food, whatever.

Really cool guy, good to see him doing well now. He was either loved or hated in Houston, so it's good to see him get nothing but love from Baltimore.

Now...Jacoby Jones, on the other hand. Enjoy this for now, because the bottom is BOUND to fall out sooner rather than later. Laughing

I think I remember which Patriots player's knee he injured that game. Wes Welker IIRC.
outside_Insider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.) Arizona
2.) Seahawks
3.) 49ers
4.) Texans
5.) Falcons

"We all we got, we all we need"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: