Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Questionable Moves

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOCALBrowns

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Questionable Moves Reply with quote

I have been the biggest supporter of the Browns and this regime. I have been hoping against hope the regime currently in place would actually turn the corner and start making real "progress". Hell I even flew out from California to Cleveland for the Eagles game believing they may just have a shot at pulling off the upset. Nevertheless, I have officially lost faith in this regime and look forward (as painful as it is) for Haslam to clean house and bring a winner to Cleveland. Make no mistake, a businessman like Haslam will put a structure in place that will win. Unfortunately it will take time. As much as I hate to admit it, the Holmgren, Heckert & Shurmur have made a number of inexplicable questionable moves. Here they are:

1. Keeping Marecic on the active roster - the guy is simply inept. He has done nothing on this team except drop passes. Continuing to play him and refusing to find a decent blocking back for TRich.

2. No Veteran Receiver - I understand the need for the young guys to play. Nonetheless bringing in a veteran to help Gordon with his route running and Little with his PR and drops. Why not bring in a veteran?? Makes no sense. It seems like it is just stubborn on the part of Heckert.

3. Brandon Jackson - where is he? Ogbonnya has that big fumble in the Cinci game. He hasnt played in such a long time. Why not use a vet like Brandon Jackson?? Why did you sign him a year ago if you planned on stashing him deep on the bench? No clue what the thinking is there.

4. Haden - they knew Haden would be suspended. Make a move to stop the bleeding before it happened. Make a trade, make a move and get a decent servicable vet corner that can guide the young guys and play decent ball until Haden comes back. You can't just stand pat. The secondary is getting torched the last several games and it will only get worse against the Ravens.

5. The Hagg Experiment - I never bought into this experiment. Hagg was always an obvious liability in coverage. Why start him against Cinci with the loss of Haden it made no sense. Play a guy like Gipson or Young. Gipson has a lot of upside. Play him.

6. Trading Sims to the Eagles - makes no sense. The kid played lights out in the preseason. Keep him around and develop him. More upside than Hagg. This was a horrible move by Heckert. What do we gain by making this move? A 7th round pick?? Come on. Keep a guy like Sims on the squad.

7. Gameplan by Shurmur - nothing creative. Team comes out flat - thats on the coach. Get Weeden comfortable with things he likes doing. Run some of the plays he ran in OKST. Why not?? Quick slants, shotgun, get him in a rhythym somehow someway.

Thats just a sampling of the reasons Haslam will come in and clean house and bring in a strong regime that will move quickly to win. You cannot accept the status quo as a businessman. You adjust and make changes based on the developments around you to plug holes and eventually win.

Shurmur is content with losing. I'm done with that kind of attitude.
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Questionable Moves Reply with quote

SOCALBrowns wrote:

2. No Veteran Receiver - I understand the need for the young guys to play. Nonetheless bringing in a veteran to help Gordon with his route running and Little with his PR and drops. Why not bring in a veteran?? Makes no sense. It seems like it is just stubborn on the part of Heckert.

They have said numerous times that we had both Josh Morgan and Pierre Garcon read to sign, only to have Washington break the bank of them. Unless you think that a guy like Braylon or TO are who you want to bring in for mentoring young troubled receivers.

And lets not get on the FO for not bringing in crap old talent to "teach". How many times did we complain about washed up players playing in Cleveland because they were "mentoring" younger players?

Quote:
3. Brandon Jackson - where is he? Ogbonnya has that big fumble in the Cinci game. He hasnt played in such a long time. Why not use a vet like Brandon Jackson?? Why did you sign him a year ago if you planned on stashing him deep on the bench? No clue what the thinking is there.

Outside of the fumble, which was big, OBGYN has been playing excellently as a 3rd down back, I'm not putting that as #3 on a list of things they've done wrong.

Quote:
4. Haden - they knew Haden would be suspended. Make a move to stop the bleeding before it happened. Make a trade, make a move and get a decent servicable vet corner that can guide the young guys and play decent ball until Haden comes back. You can't just stand pat. The secondary is getting torched the last several games and it will only get worse against the Ravens.

Who? You can say "make a move for a serviceable vet" but teams don't just let those guys go. Do we want another Hank Poteat?

Quote:
7. Gameplan by Shurmur - nothing creative. Team comes out flat - thats on the coach. Get Weeden comfortable with things he likes doing. Run some of the plays he ran in OKST. Why not?? Quick slants, shotgun, get him in a rhythym somehow someway.

We should run more gun and at a higher rhythm if we a can. However, in the NFL corners don't all play off coverage like they do and unless you have a roster full of guys like TO or Braylon, those short routes aren't going to work if you run them every time. But I do agree we need to improve the offensive gameplan.

Quote:
Thats just a sampling of the reasons Haslam will come in and clean house and bring in a strong regime that will move quickly to win. You cannot accept the status quo as a businessman. You adjust and make changes based on the developments around you to plug holes and eventually win.

We said the same thing about every GM we ever brought in for what its worth.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Questionable Moves Reply with quote

SOCALBrowns wrote:
I have been the biggest supporter of the Browns and this regime. I have been hoping against hope the regime currently in place would actually turn the corner and start making real "progress". Hell I even flew out from California to Cleveland for the Eagles game believing they may just have a shot at pulling off the upset. Nevertheless, I have officially lost faith in this regime and look forward (as painful as it is) for Haslam to clean house and bring a winner to Cleveland. Make no mistake, a businessman like Haslam will put a structure in place that will win. Unfortunately it will take time. As much as I hate to admit it, the Holmgren, Heckert & Shurmur have made a number of inexplicable questionable moves. Here they are:

1. Keeping Marecic on the active roster - the guy is simply inept. He has done nothing on this team except drop passes. Continuing to play him and refusing to find a decent blocking back for TRich.

5. The Hagg Experiment - I never bought into this experiment. Hagg was always an obvious liability in coverage. Why start him against Cinci with the loss of Haden it made no sense. Play a guy like Gipson or Young. Gipson has a lot of upside. Play him.

6. Trading Sims to the Eagles - makes no sense. The kid played lights out in the preseason. Keep him around and develop him. More upside than Hagg. This was a horrible move by Heckert. What do we gain by making this move? A 7th round pick?? Come on. Keep a guy like Sims on the squad.

I look at the Cleveland Browns as a company like Sprint.

Sprint made an acquisition of Nextel in 2005 that severely hindered their growth as a company due to the fact that Nextel had incompatable systems and old technology. They brought in a new CEO who has lived with the losses and has integrated the network and improved the technology with newer and faster networks.

Now Sprint- well they haven't started making profits yet, but the stock has risen significantly over the past year, and they've been paying off past debts. Things are looking up for Sprint and pundits are looking at them as possibly becoming a strong #3 competitor in the cel phone market, but they are still about 1 year behind Verizon.

Although the CEO has had losses, he has improved the potential of the company.

Now read these paragraphs:

Insert ex Browns HC here made an acquisition of the Browns in any year since 1999 that severely hindered their growth as a team due to the fact that they used had incompatable systems and old players. They brought in a new regime (heckert, holmgren, shurmur) who has lived with the losses and has integrated the team and improved the talent with younger and faster players.

Now the Browns- well they haven't started winning yet, but the potential on this team has risen significantly over the past year, and they've been paying off past debts. Things are looking up for the Browns (on the talent side) and pundits are looking at them as possibly having actual potential, and becoming a #3 competitor in the AFC North, but they are still at least a year or two behind Verizon.
DaWg_LB.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Questionable Moves Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
SOCALBrowns wrote:

I look at the Cleveland Browns as a company like Sprint.

Sprint made an acquisition of Nextel in 2005 that severely hindered their growth as a company due to the fact that Nextel had incompatable systems and old technology. They brought in a new CEO who has lived with the losses and has integrated the network and improved the technology with newer and faster networks.

Now Sprint- well they haven't started making profits yet, but the stock has risen significantly over the past year, and they've been paying off past debts. Things are looking up for Sprint and pundits are looking at them as possibly becoming a strong #3 competitor in the cel phone market, but they are still about 1 year behind Verizon.

Although the CEO has had losses, he has improved the potential of the company.

Now read these paragraphs:

Insert ex Browns HC here made an acquisition of the Browns in any year since 1999 that severely hindered their growth as a team due to the fact that they used had incompatable systems and old players. They brought in a new regime (heckert, holmgren, shurmur) who has lived with the losses and has integrated the team and improved the talent with younger and faster players.

Now the Browns- well they haven't started winning yet, but the potential on this team has risen significantly over the past year, and they've been paying off past debts. Things are looking up for the Browns (on the talent side) and pundits are looking at them as possibly having actual potential, and becoming a #3 competitor in the AFC North, but they are still at least a year or two behind Verizon.

EXCELLENT Analogy....

Second Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
bulldog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Questionable Moves Reply with quote

SOCALBrowns wrote:

I've been frustrated with him too, but he was a stud at Stanford. There's reasons for the FO still being patient with him.

Quote:

The coaches can do all of this.

Quote:

We signed Jackson before we had Oby. Oby has shown the ability to be a all around back. Don't see the issue here.

Quote:

So, you want us to trade a pick and sacrifice a bit of the future for a stop gap for 4 games? Why?

Quote:

So, you don't want to play Hagg, bases off his minimal playing time, and replace him with a guy that has never started before at all. And you want the young guys to grow here (except Hagg), but also want a vet CB and WR? Kinda hypocritical don't you think?

Quote:

Sims didn't make the roster b/c he wasn't that good on special teams. Gibson took his spot in that area b/c he beasted on specials. And we got a pick out of a UDFA... I thought it was a brilliant move by Heckert.

Quote:

Doesn't matter what the gameplan is if the players don't execute. Which is the biggest problem right now.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Questionable Moves Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
SOCALBrowns wrote:

I've been frustrated with him too, but he was a stud at Stanford. There's reasons for the FO still being patient with him.

Quote:

The coaches can do all of this.

Quote:

We signed Jackson before we had Oby. Oby has shown the ability to be a all around back. Don't see the issue here.

Quote:

So, you want us to trade a pick and sacrifice a bit of the future for a stop gap for 4 games? Why?

Quote:

So, you don't want to play Hagg, bases off his minimal playing time, and replace him with a guy that has never started before at all. And you want the young guys to grow here (except Hagg), but also want a vet CB and WR? Kinda hypocritical don't you think?

Quote:

Sims didn't make the roster b/c he wasn't that good on special teams. Gibson took his spot in that area b/c he beasted on specials. And we got a pick out of a UDFA... I thought it was a brilliant move by Heckert.

Quote:

Doesn't matter what the gameplan is if the players don't execute. Which is the biggest problem right now.

I think the gameplan is a bigger problem

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
buno67

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Questionable Moves Reply with quote

I agree with just about evertthing Zulu said...

Estonianzulu wrote:
SOCALBrowns wrote:

They have said numerous times that we had both Josh Morgan and Pierre Garcon read to sign, only to have Washington break the bank of them. Unless you think that a guy like Braylon or TO are who you want to bring in for mentoring young troubled receivers.

And lets not get on the FO for not bringing in crap old talent to "teach". How many times did we complain about washed up players playing in Cleveland because they were "mentoring" younger players?

The Browns made attempts for going after some experience WRs but they got out bid by other teams for them. They dont offer a huge contract and ppl get salty about it but if they signed them to a big contract and they sucked, ppl would get salty about it. im not gonna sign an old vet to just have him on the team to help coach. We have a person on this team that does that, its called a WR coach. If we need a Vet WR to help coach than we need a new WR coach in general then

Quote:

Outside of the fumble, which was big, OBGYN has been playing excellently as a 3rd down back, I'm not putting that as #3 on a list of things they've done wrong.

Yeah i think OBGYN has done very good outside of that one fumble. He has been decent at running and catching. The one thing that keeps him on the field is that he is a better pass blocker. Ive seen Jackson whiff a few times on a blitzing backer and it forced Weeden to rush his pass or make a bad read

Quote:

Who? You can say "make a move for a serviceable vet" but teams don't just let those guys go. Do we want another Hank Poteat?

I wanna say some ppl feel like that is a great FA or two at every position that is just sitting at home waiting for a contract and are pissed that the browns arent the team that hasnt signed them. Ppl suspect there is a great vet WR looking for a job and that there is a good to serviceable DB looking for work. I dont get it

Quote:

We should run more gun and at a higher rhythm if we a can. However, in the NFL corners don't all play off coverage like they do and unless you have a roster full of guys like TO or Braylon, those short routes aren't going to work if you run them every time. But I do agree we need to improve the offensive gameplan.

IMO how is Shurmur suppose to get creative when this team can barely execute its basic plays. Im sorry, you need to master the basics before you can attempt the more challenging stuff. If we cant properly run our basic stuff what makes you think running more advance plays or some trick plays would be good for this team. You have to learn to crawl. walk, than run...you didnt leave the womb sprinting now did you?

IMO this is the NFL, its not the coaches job to get you jacked up to play a game. IMO you should already have the mindset instill on you or the captains of the football team. I dont see the Ravens or Saints coach getting their team jacked up but you see Ray Lewis or Drew Brees getting the team jacked up

Quote:

We said the same thing about every GM we ever brought in for what its worth.

what makes you think a new regime would make for a quick turn around. How many new regimes have been brought it and tried to win. What makes you think it would be completely different this time? there is no magical formula. you have to be patience and let things develop and grow.

I said this during the eagles game. the Eagles DL, 4 starters...IM TALKING ABOUT FOUR STARTERS!!! FOUR GUYS who have more career starts than our entire offense. FOUR D LINEMEN HAD MORE OVERALL STARTS THEN OUR 11 OFFENSIVE STARTERS!!! THAT SHOULD TELL YOU HOW YOUNG AND INEXPERIENCED THIS FOOTBALL TEAM IS. WE WILL HAVE GROWING PAINS.

people need to relax and let teaching and growth take place

Quote:

Can you name a FB who can in and was a complete stud from DAY 1??? IMO FB is one of the most physical demanding jobs there is in the NFL. you have to be quick enough to be able to block LBs and strong enough to block DL. I can see Owen looking a lot better at the end of season when he finally has a grasp of the offense and the speed and demands of the NFL game

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Questionable Moves Reply with quote

1. Marecic is in his second year so it's not ridiculous for the front office and coaching staff to think he could improve. I would like to see Smelley replace him, because I can't imagine him being any worse.

2. Like others have said, the Browns tried to sign Garcon and Morgan. Are those receivers worth overpaying? No way. I said many times before free agency happened that I would like to bring a veteran in. However, I didn't want to overpay for a fairly average receiver and the Browns weren't going to be able to sign one of the premiere WRs.

3. Not sure about Jackson. Ogbonnaya seems better at running the ball. The only thing Jackson is good at is blocking. When he's in the game, the defense will know that it's most likely going to be a pass. When Richardson or Ogbonnaya are in, it could either be a run or a pass coming. When Jackson was on the Packers, he wasn't really any worse than their other running backs and even if the defense knew the pass was coming, they might not be able to stop it because Green Bay's passing game was so good.

4. The Browns do have a couple veteran CBs in Brown and Patterson. The Browns are building for the future, so what's the point in having a bunch of veteran CBs? Might as well let the young DBs play and develop to see what the Browns have in them.

5. I was never much of a believer in Hagg. I would have liked for the Browns to add a free safety this past offseason, but considering how many needs the Browns had, it was essentially impossible to address all of them. I can understand why they would give Hagg a shot; they weren't able to bring in a free safety so they might as well see what Hagg is capable of. I've said numerous times that free safety will likely be one of the team's biggest needs next offseason.

I don't have that many complaints about Shurmur's play-calling - I think it's much improved from last season. When players don't execute, it doesn't matter which plays are called. When players execute, the choice of plays called look much better.

There's a good chance Haslam will clean house, but I don't think it will necessarily be due to him disliking the current regime. Hopefully he knows it takes time to build a winner when you completely rebuild and have such a young and inexperiened roster like the Browns do. If he does clean house, I think it will be more because he simply wants to bring in his own guys.

Smack on the sig.
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much my only gripe thus thus far was the playcalling last week.

Any team that runs the ball only 13 times in a game, 4 times in the second half and 0 times in the final 16 minutes deserves to lose.

Other than that, we have a team comprised of young and inexperienced players who look inexperienced. No shocker to me. Teams comprised of rookies and 2nd year players don't win in pro sports.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
SOCALBrowns

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to believe the Browns got it right this time but I can't help to think of all the teams that went from worst to first in their divisions seemingly over night. Why can't the Browns get over the hump? They had Cinci and Baltimore right there within striking distance and they seem to always be "close".

What I'm saying is not blow the thing up and start over. I am saying there needs to be a more proactive approach to the team and the roster.

For example. With Haden out why not put Brown at Safety and have Patterson, Skrine and Wade play the corners. The Packers moved Woodson to safety and he's been playing well there.

I love my Browns and in Southern California I get a lot of heat for it. I just wish I could point to something and say "there it is" this team is being aggressive they are playing to win.

I don't mean to be pessimistic but I think there is a lot to be said about how sloe this team is growing. This team should be 3-1. They are 0-4 because of minor details that were neglected or not addressed by the coaches and FO.

I hope the Sprint / Nextel analogy is applicable here but I am jaded.
candyman93

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What in Sheldon Browns skill set makes you believe he can play safety?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCALBrowns wrote:
but I can't help to think of all the teams that went from worst to first in their divisions seemingly over night.

It wasn't really overnight tho, it just seems that way. You look at the 49ers for example (guessing this one of the teams you're refering to), they have 4 or 5 years worth of top tier 1st rounders on their roster that were finally developed

When Holmgren and Heckert got here, their was little to no young talent. They inherited Rubin, Jackson, Thomas and Mack (guess you could throw Cribbs in there too). The roster that they came into had 11 30+ year old starters along with a very bad draft that did very little to help the overall roster

You look at this team now, we're young, extremely young and actually have a future to look forward to, which is something we couldn't say prior to these guys arriving. Now, like the 49ers, we need to continue to develop this young talent while at the same time infusing the roster with good draft picks. As Heckert and Holmgren always said, the key was getting the foundation set, once that's set you start building on it. This team is setup for long term success, we just have to suffer through the growing pains. But be honest, we've all seen the potential of this team already this year and it's only going to get better and better

Quote:
I don't mean to be pessimistic but I think there is a lot to be said about how sloe this team is growing. This team should be 3-1. They are 0-4 because of minor details that were neglected or not addressed by the coaches and FO.

In terms of this, I go back to the team being young. Some are in their 3rd year, most are in their 2nd year and a few are in their 1st year. We're going to see some ups and downs. There will be times when we're going to get a glimpse of whats to come, and some instances where the inexperience of the players is going to flash. Its not so much about neglecting aspects of the team, it's more about building the team correctly and not hindering development of promising players by bringing in stop gaps who honestly wouldn't be much of an upgrade anyways.

Trust me, it's frustrating to all of us to see the team continue to lose these heart breakers, but the talent is there. All I know is the majority of us kind of expected a down year in terms of wins/losses due to all of that, but I've been pleasantly surprised so far by the growth and development of several of our players. We get Haden back, the defense will look great again. Little learns to catch we'll have a legit playmaker. We're seeing Benjamin and Cameron starting to flash their ability and what they bring to the table in terms of explosion and most impressive (and important imo) is Weeden seems to be growing every week, the game isn't too big for him and he's starting to trust his arm and his receivers

This isn't a comparison or anything, just an example of what I mean by Weeden is growing. I got to watch Brady, Rodgers and Eli today, and one of the things they always do is identify single coverage and throw the ball out in front of that WR and make a big play. I seen Weeden try this numerous times on Thursday against the Ravens, and the results would have been great if the execution was there. Little dropped 1 for sure touchdown, he had Benjamin 1 on 1 outside with his guy beat and his accuracy was off. But that's the trust and confidence I'm talking about. They're not dumb throws, they're big play throws and the execution wasn't quite there. Eventually that stuff is going to come and it's going to be fun to watch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: