Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

WR is going to be a need in 2013.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew_Carey wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
Drew_Carey wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
Drew_Carey wrote:
No reason the browns can't bring in at least one starting quality FA.

Building through the draft is great, but when the roster stinks FA is another tool that SHOULD be used.

the tricky thing with a FA though is that FA has to be willing to come here, we can be into him as much as we want but if he isnt interested in comming here, he isnt. We are a team that is going to have to vastly overpay FA to come here

Mario went to buffalo...

No excuse for the browns front office if they are unable to sign FAs.

I not saying the browns have sign a superstar, but rather "quality starter" type players.

Yea cause the Bills were dumb enough to go 100 Million

Ok lets talk a lil hypothetical Situation. lets say you are greg Jennings, Dwayne Bowe or another vet WR that will have suitors. Now no matter where you go you are going to get the money you are looking for. Are you signing with the Cleveland Browns?.........

If those guys hit the market they are going to which ever team pays them. Browns supposedly went after a couple WR targets last off season... The players did not go elsewhere because they didn't want to play for the browns, they went elsewhere because the browns would not pay them as much as other teams would. They certainly are not going to come to Cleveland for LESS than what others will pay!

Browns better learn at if they want their guy (cough cough rg3) they better be the HC best friend

Or be more flexible in who all they target.

FIFY

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

Drew_Carey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
Drew_Carey wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
Drew_Carey wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
Drew_Carey wrote:
No reason the browns can't bring in at least one starting quality FA.

Building through the draft is great, but when the roster stinks FA is another tool that SHOULD be used.

the tricky thing with a FA though is that FA has to be willing to come here, we can be into him as much as we want but if he isnt interested in comming here, he isnt. We are a team that is going to have to vastly overpay FA to come here

Mario went to buffalo...

No excuse for the browns front office if they are unable to sign FAs.

I not saying the browns have sign a superstar, but rather "quality starter" type players.

Yea cause the Bills were dumb enough to go 100 Million

Ok lets talk a lil hypothetical Situation. lets say you are greg Jennings, Dwayne Bowe or another vet WR that will have suitors. Now no matter where you go you are going to get the money you are looking for. Are you signing with the Cleveland Browns?.........

If those guys hit the market they are going to which ever team pays them. Browns supposedly went after a couple WR targets last off season... The players did not go elsewhere because they didn't want to play for the browns, they went elsewhere because the browns would not pay them as much as other teams would. They certainly are not going to come to Cleveland for LESS than what others will pay!

Browns better learn at if they want their guy (cough cough rg3) they better be the HC best friend

Or be more flexible in who all they target.

FIFY

I had to read that twice to find what you changed. Hahahaha.
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and as I said in the situation you would get the money yo are looking for no matter where you choose, after that is taken care of they are going to go to the place where they have the best chance to win

bulldog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny that so many think nobody wants to come to cleveland, yet when Savage was in charge, every FA came here. When the Browns were 4-12, 6-10 and so on.

Steinbach.
Baxter.
Bentley.
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
Its funny that so many think nobody wants to come to cleveland, yet when Savage was in charge, every FA came here. When the Browns were 4-12, 6-10 and so on.

Steinbach.
Baxter.
Bentley.

Steibach at the time I think had gotten the richest contract for a guard ever. Bentley was a hometown kid that had always dreamed of playing for this team

Drew_Carey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
and as I said in the situation you would get the money yo are looking for no matter where you choose, after that is taken care of they are going to go to the place where they have the best chance to win

If money equal then I totally agree (same would for me in my job if another company offered me money to work in bermuda) but Cleveland's front office should be smart enough to not be trying to matching offers....

Again, I'm not saying to massively overpay for players, but the browns do need to make sure they bring in more players than just through the draft (especially with the shaky draft record). If that means throwing an extra 100k at a potential starting player to make sure they get him over the redskins (for example) than so be it.
bulldog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
bulldog wrote:

Steinbach.
Baxter.
Bentley.

Steibach at the time I think had gotten the richest contract for a guard ever. Bentley was a hometown kid that had always dreamed of playing for this team

Steiny signed a contract that was 500K richer than Hutchinson's.

Bentley was still a 2 time pro bowl G AND C. He could have went anywyere, which farther proves my point, that FA will go anywhere they want.

TB landed a ton of FA's last year.

BUF landed Super Mario.

Saints landed Drew Brees.
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
bulldog wrote:

Steinbach.
Baxter.
Bentley.

Steiny signed a contract that was 500K richer than Hutchinson's.

Bentley was still a 2 time pro bowl G AND C. He could have went anywyere, which farther proves my point, that FA will go anywhere they want.

TB landed a ton of FA's last year.

BUF landed Super Mario.

Saints landed Drew Brees.

The Bills way overpaid for Mario, and at the time the only 2 teams who were interested in Brees was the Saints and the Dolphins, and he went to the saints becase the dolphns chose Daunte Culpepper over him

hornbybrown

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
bulldog wrote:

Steinbach.
Baxter.
Bentley.

Steinbach's contract only beat out bentleys if I remember right.

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin
Pierre Desir
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
bulldog wrote:

Steinbach.
Baxter.
Bentley.

Steinbach's contract only beat out bentleys if I remember right.

Ok, let me rephrase.

FA's who aren't signing the richest contract ever for a player at their position don't sign here.

Baxter was a #2 corner we gave #1 money to.

I'm guessing a lot of FA's would come here if we grossly overpaid them, but why in the hell would we do that again?

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
bulldog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVERY FREE AGENT IS OVERPAID!!!!

thats why teams like NE, PIT, BAL, GB never ever ever ever sign FA's. Its bad business move.

NYJ went out and spent a bunch of money on FA a few years in a row, how's that working our for them now?
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
EVERY FREE AGENT IS OVERPAID!!!!

thats why teams like NE, PIT, BAL, GB never ever ever ever sign FA's. Its bad business move.

NYJ went out and spent a bunch of money on FA a few years in a row, how's that working our for them now?

Not completely true.

Drew Brees turned around a franchise.

So did Reggie White.

The list goes on.

But, in general, I agree.

roger murdock

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When has a free agent ever been the reason a team sucked?

Never.

The Eagles spent a crap ton of money in free agency and still have the most cap room in the NFL. If you manage your finances well you will be fine.

Obviously you can't only do it with free agency, you need to nail the draft too, but free agency is a tool to make your team better.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger murdock wrote:

Never.

The Eagles spent a crap ton of money in free agency and still have the most cap room in the NFL. If you manage your finances well you will be fine.

Obviously you can't only do it with free agency, you need to nail the draft too, but free agency is a tool to make your team better.

The singular reason? Never.

The part of a reason? Many times.

Overspending on a FA is a quick way to ruin a salary cap for a few years and, if you let it influence your draft board, an easy way to miss quality talent.

There's a reason teams aren't built through FA. Good ones anyway.

hornbybrown

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
roger murdock wrote:

Never.

The singular reason? Never.

The part of a reason? Many times.

Overspending on a FA is a quick way to ruin a salary cap for a few years and, if you let it influence your draft board, an easy way to miss quality talent.

There's a reason teams aren't built through FA. Good ones anyway.

But you can add a important part or two. Where did anyone say they want to build with FA? You make your team better anyway you can.

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin
Pierre Desir

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: