Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tracking Ryan Tannehill
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you currently believe Ryan Tannehill is the answer?
Yes, he is on the right track and just needs to develop with expirience.
93%
 93%  [ 54 ]
No, I wouldn't be surprised if Barkley was a Dolphin in 2013.
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 58

ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
ProudDolphan47 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
dolphan9954 wrote:
Tannehill has had a decent year for a rookie year. This needs to be an average game for him if he is going to be the player we think he is.

120+ QB rating....is average?

God let's hope so! Laughing

I know what he's trying to say however and agree. The big name QBs put up yardage and don't turn the ball over. I think the fact that Tannehill already has 2 streaks this season of over 100 attempts with no interceptions is very promising.

I get what he is saying.....250 yards and 2 TD's should be the norm....

If we can't go into every game expecting Ryan Tannehill to score us at least 2 TD and throw for at least 225 yards while completing a good % then we have the wrong QB.

1. Limit turnovers
2. Put the ball in the endzone
3. Move the offense consistently

He did that today and in 3 or 4 more games this season. But then he also had 3 or 4 games that were just bad.

Those are all reasonable expectations and I think as he develops and has to people to throw to this kind of output will be expected (and met). He's learning the NFL game, the speed, and the increased complexity with very little talent around him. It will be interesting to see how much he progresses with a Full season and off season under his belt as the QB.

What I do see is a player that is learning not to throw bad passes and how to be a leader which he is succeeding at. It's hard to have that big play or even consistency moving the ball when you have 0 playmakers at the receiver position. I like Hartline and Bess and feel they should have a spot on this team, but no defense fears them.

I hope next year we get to see how Tannehill plays with some playmakers at WR and TE because right now the kid is trying to cook gourmet meals with government meat and cheese.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. I like what I have seen so far, which is why back in March when everyone was pissed when we missed on Manning and Flynn I didn't care because I loved Tannehill. I have seen some red flags, but luckily for him they are relatively minor and easy fixes:

Has a tendency to drop the elbow and the ball sail. This wasn't a problem until about two weeks ago, thus it's just a habit.

Ball placement is streaky. He was lights out early in the year, and lately it's been off.

Tends to miss the easy throws. His attempts are fine, his INT numbers are fine I guess (eliminate the tipped passes and they are), but he has left 6 touchdowns at least on the field this season on just missing open receivers. He missed one today to Matthews, if he hit Matthews in stride on the slot post early it's a score. We need those plays. I will say at times his cast has let him down as well.

Don't be scared to run, but don't be scared to punt either.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
Kaiowas05

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boy did that Hurry up offense change things for RT, we were dire until the refs took that TD away from the Jags
Belfast Trojans #32 Shamrock Bowl winner '12, '13 and '14
EFAF Atlantic Cup Winner 2013
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaiowas05 wrote:
boy did that Hurry up offense change things for RT, we were dire until the refs took that TD away from the Jags

I think that hurry up/up tempo offense is going to be the norm for this team....it may take a couple of year (and the right personal) in order to have it become fully effective.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He needs to run more.

Maybe on a 2nd or 3rd & 1, line up heavy to the left and naked bootleg him to the right. There's no reason why he can't have 30 safe rushing yards a game on scrambles and designed rollouts/read options. He had a nice read option for a score a few games ago.
skatewood2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tanny is doing good for a rookie QB with no real threats in his arsenal. I like that he has limited his INT's to a few horrible games, I just wish he could get his TD numbers over his INT's before the end of the season. This is not a make or break deal as he will have another rough game vs the patsies. It would just be a nice way to end the season for him. I like that he is taking advantage of some of the running lanes when the WR's are covered down field. That needs to be come a staple in his game as long as he doesn't turn into a one look and run QB. I also like how he slides and protects himself when he does run.

NFL - Miami Dolphins
College - THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Tanny better than Kap the SF QB ...
He just has someone to throw to

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now Tanny is averaging 210 yards a game and has a sub 60% completion rate. As a rookie we had some expectations, but most knew that with the talent around him he was only going to be able to do so much. Now that the season is almost over and we have to assume that this off-season is going to be key to getting some players around him, what are your expectation of him in his sophomore campaign?

Personally I would be disappointing if he wasn't averaging 250 yards a game with a 65% or better completion rate. I would hope that throughout the season he is hitting close to 2 TD's a game, but anything over 25 for the year would be a fine season. Wins....I don't expect playoffs, but I would like there to be a legitimate chance to make the playoffs.

Is this expecting too much or too little?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 6 starting QBs with a completion percentage over 65% this year. There were 4 last season and 6 the year before that. For you to be disappointed in our second year QB if he isn't giving you top 5 QB production is silly, to say the least.
Lions017

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Right now Tanny is averaging 210 yards a game and has a sub 60% completion rate. As a rookie we had some expectations, but most knew that with the talent around him he was only going to be able to do so much. Now that the season is almost over and we have to assume that this off-season is going to be key to getting some players around him, what are your expectation of him in his sophomore campaign?

Personally I would be disappointing if he wasn't averaging 250 yards a game with a 65% or better completion rate. I would hope that throughout the season he is hitting close to 2 TD's a game, but anything over 25 for the year would be a fine season. Wins....I don't expect playoffs, but I would like there to be a legitimate chance to make the playoffs.

Is this expecting too much or too little?

Those sort of numbers would make him a strong contender for being a top 10 QB.

There are currently 6 QBs with a completion percentage at 65% or above.

2 TDs a game would be 32 on the season - with only two games left, only 7 QBs have 25 or more. 25 would be a very good number.

12 QBs are averaging 250 Y/G. Guys like Flacco, Newton, Freeman, Dalton, Rivers, Bradford, RG3 are all below that mark.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'm hoping for a serious step in the right direction next year. I'd be happy with the following in 2013:

- At least 60% completion
- A YPA of around 7.0.
- At least 20 touchdowns
- Less than 14 turnovers
- At least 3500 yards would be nice but yardage doesn't really matter much

Obviously these expectations would be adjusted depending on what kind of weapons we put around Tannehill this season. I know these expectations are pretty high but they are the expectations I have for a second-year "franchise QB". If he isn't able to show some improvement in his second year, I will probably fear the worst... We want the next Dan Marino. Not the next Chad Henne.

Nacho Simulation Football League
Kaiowas05

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

expectations of Tannehill need to go hand in hand with the run game stepping up consistently,

i think a fair expectation is that our offence scores over two TDs a game which it currently isnt doing (I think)
Belfast Trojans #32 Shamrock Bowl winner '12, '13 and '14
EFAF Atlantic Cup Winner 2013
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2012: 209 Y/G, 58.7%, 6.91 AVG, 75.9 PR
2013: 241 Y/G, 61.7%, 7.09 AVG, 85.7 PR

I would want him to be ranked minimum 16th in every category which is what I put down as his 2013 stats. We need to get him a third receiving option, start Clay at TE, and get Bush/Thomas/Miller more involved in the receiving game.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was impressed with the endzone passes against the Jags.

Oh Man we are so Miami Dolphin!
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
I was impressed with the endzone passes against the Jags.

And the TD to Fasano vs the 9er's. That was a risky playcall on 4th down.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: