Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Which injury hurts more
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which injury hurts more
Delmas
80%
 80%  [ 17 ]
Best
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 21

flyguy1609

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Which injury hurts more Reply with quote

simple question which injury hurts us more Louis Delmas or Jahvid Best?

Last yr when Delmas was playing we had a pretty good D, then he got hurt missing those 6 weeks i believe and our D got shredded and he came back vs the saints in the play-offs but clearly wasn't 100%

Same thing with Delmas, Best was being our Sproles(stafford's safety blanket) Calvin wasn't seeing 3 on 1 with Best in the line up, after the concussion and he was lost for the yr, so was our running game ( i know Smith had a few decent games) but nothing what it was... love to hear feed back. its some food for thought thanks....
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jahvid Best.

Even with Delmas in the game, our secondary sucks. The drop off without him is minimal because the talent surrounding him is nil.

Best provides so much to our offense. He's a HR threat everytime he touches the ball. In the backfield, he's a game changer, in the slot, he's Stafford safety net. I think part of Staffords accuracy "issues" is the fact that Best is gone and we are trying to run the same plays with Pettigrew. I'd really love to see us put Broyles in that role, with his sure hands, and give Stafford back a safety net underneath to keep the chains moving.

There have bene quite a few plays where Jahvid took a quick out and turned it into a big gain and really shifted momentum in a game. Right now, you can see us struggling without those big plays to get the offense going.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say Delmas. Best is, at times, pretty ineffective even when he's on the field. He's good for a big play or two in most games, but he's also good for setting up a few 2nd-and-11 situations because he can't run between the tackles.

Our defense performs significantly better with Louis Delmas starting, especially considering Wendling has been embarrassing so far. He's great on special teams, but man his coverage is terrible. Delmas might not be an all-pro, but he's at least good, and a massive upgrade over anyone else we have in the secondary.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
I'd say Delmas. Best is, at times, pretty ineffective even when he's on the field. He's good for a big play or two in most games, but he's also good for setting up a few 2nd-and-11 situations because he can't run between the tackles.

Our defense performs significantly better with Louis Delmas starting, especially considering Wendling has been embarrassing so far. He's great on special teams, but man his coverage is terrible. Delmas might not be an all-pro, but he's at least good, and a massive upgrade over anyone else we have in the secondary.

I agree here. I think Delmas' overall contribution is greater than Best's occasional contribution.

Team Stylish
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's definitely Delmas just cause there's a greater drop off in our replacements behind him.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's Delmas and I really don't think it's close. Returning one of the best players in the unit would be a huge benefit.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
tytalton

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save for his rookie year I haven't seen Delmas make the kind of difference Best has when he is healthy. The offense really had another dimension with Best in there - especially with him catching that screen.

Delmas is solid but the impact just isn't there...and I'll echo the sentiment that the defensive backfield has very little talent to begin with so Delmas influence, solid as it would be, really would be negligible.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like our pass rush is so much better when Delmas is in the game.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delmas really doesn't make that much of an impact if you're looking at his stats. Does he provide a lift with his presence and leadership? Possibly, but his individual play doesn't make a huge difference. I voted for Best because he's a home run threat every time he touches the ball and adds a completely different dimension to the offense with his speed and ability to catch out of the backfield.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
Delmas really doesn't make that much of an impact if you're looking at his stats. Does he provide a lift with his presence and leadership? Possibly, but his individual play doesn't make a huge difference. I voted for Best because he's a home run threat every time he touches the ball and adds a completely different dimension to the offense with his speed and ability to catch out of the backfield.

I'm not sure if you can just look at his stats, though... coverage sacks, something almost impossible to identify on a stat sheet, are the result of great coverage (also something impossible to identify on a stat sheet). Simply not making splash plays doesn't mean a safety isn't making a great impact: if he's providing great coverage, he wont get the numbers... but he'll be making a substantial impact.

Team Stylish
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:

I'm not sure if you can just look at his stats, though... coverage sacks, something almost impossible to identify on a stat sheet, are the result of great coverage (also something impossible to identify on a stat sheet). Simply not making splash plays doesn't mean a safety isn't making a great impact: if he's providing great coverage, he wont get the numbers... but he'll be making a substantial impact.

I agree with that analysis of a good cover safety. However, I still think Delmas is a bit overrated in that aspect, and he's pretty suspect with his tackling and he takes pretty bad angles way too often. I would consider him average at this point. But, obviously he's better than what we have out there. I don't have time to write up a big reply though. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow.
EnglishLion20

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Delmas for me, he is the leader of the secondary, and his influence helps others out... Our secondary looks lost at times and has nobody to turn too when he isnt there.

Best has the breakaway speed and the big play ability when he is in the game which the defense has to respect, but offensively Lions can move the ball and score points without him, Delmas on the other hand instantly puts our secondary back to being average with Houston, an average secondary is much better for our defense than what we have been seeing IMO.

Soccer Forums Most Underated Poster 2012 Award Winner.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easily Delmas!

Not question for me. The offense is built around passing game and while Best is a good receiver out of backfield there are still a TON of options of offense.

DBs on other hand are not very deep. Delmas is difference of Detroit being 3-0 vs 1-2. I think Delmas would have limited Crabtree converting at least one of those crucial 3rd downs. We all know Delmas woulda covered better then clown that allowed bobbling TD grab off his back.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C. Rob Sims

Anyone else worried about him being out against a Dline that kills us to begin with?

If I had to pick from those 2, its easily Delmas. I think I read somewhere above along the lines of our secondary sucks anyways, so hes not missed, but the fact is, is that we play much better with him back there.

Pound for pound, Best is a better player, but Delmas is much more valuable to this team.

LionsFan630

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
C. Rob Sims

Anyone else worried about him being out against a Dline that kills us to begin with?

If I had to pick from those 2, its easily Delmas. I think I read somewhere above along the lines of our secondary sucks anyways, so hes not missed, but the fact is, is that we play much better with him back there.

Pound for pound, Best is a better player, but Delmas is much more valuable to this team.

Since when is he not expected to play? He's listed as probable which in NFL speak means he's playing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: