Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Homer/hater stuff aside...Is Dallas now a joke?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 23920
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvert28 wrote:


When winning is not ranked above all those other examples you just listed. Yes it becomes a joke.

Not one coach has lasted more then 5 years without Jerry getting rid of him.
Showing that Jerry has little patience for when things aren't going his way, what is lasting is Jerry as our GM since he took over the team. Over 20 years, 15 of them which have been well below acceptability and he has never made the change. No rise in our prominence in anything regarding football, only when making making money and cameras rolling. What does that tell you other then Jerry puts himself above all others? That is a joke.


[sigh]

No one is saying winning doesn't trump those things. What I am saying is that it is very narrow-minded for the article to claim that the Cowboys are a joke. You are going on your Jerry hate speech, and buddy that's fine. No one is going to stand in your way. However, the articles claim that the Cowboys are a joke is intellectually dishonest.

That's like me saying that Tony Gonzalez is a joke.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Calvert28


Joined: 21 Oct 2006
Posts: 16734
Location: Adopt a Player: McGee
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TO7 I respect you deeply as a poster on this site but your failing to see what I am getting at so don't take this as a condescending comparison to belittle you.

But our situation, the organization since the late 90's has been like a Looney Tunes Road Runner and Wild Coyote marathon. And you understand the redundent plot behind every episode. The Coyote tries to catch the elusive Road Runner, relying on his supposedly superior mind and all his resources he goes through in grand fashion scheming and throwing money at the problem to try and catch his prize. All of which ends up in spectacular fashion blowing up in his face. The entire situation of the cartoon is the great punchline and why people laugh at it.

I'll leave what the Coyote and the Roadrunner are supposed to represent up to imagination. But case in point, he is no damn good at catching the roadrunner and it's been a running joke. Forgive the pun.
_________________

Sciz wrote:
The sarcastic comments are getting old. We already dislike you. Don't make it worse.
LIES!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 23920
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvert28 wrote:
TO7 I respect you deeply as a poster on this site but your failing to see what I am getting at so don't take this as a condescending comparison to belittle you.

But our situation, the organization since the late 90's has been like a Looney Tunes Road Runner and Wild Coyote marathon. And you understand the redundent plot behind every episode. The Coyote tries to catch the elusive Road Runner, relying on his supposedly superior mind and all his resources he goes through in grand fashion scheming and throwing money at the problem to try and catch his prize. All of which ends up in spectacular fashion blowing up in his face.

I'll leave what the Coyote and the Roadrunner are supposed to represent up to imagination. But case in point, he is no damn good at catching the roadrunner and just doesn't know when to quit.


No. Look. The OP and the article were articulating the view that the Dallas Cowboys are a joke.

The problem? Slam and you and others have tried to make this a referendum on Jerry. I get it, the article associates the Cowboys are a joke because of Jerry. But what it really wants to say is that Jerry is a joke. Jerry the GM sucks. Jerry can't find his glory hole. Woohoo. That is a perfectly valid association.

But the Cowboys as an institution and team...are not a joke.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Calvert28


Joined: 21 Oct 2006
Posts: 16734
Location: Adopt a Player: McGee
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Calvert28 wrote:
TO7 I respect you deeply as a poster on this site but your failing to see what I am getting at so don't take this as a condescending comparison to belittle you.

But our situation, the organization since the late 90's has been like a Looney Tunes Road Runner and Wild Coyote marathon. And you understand the redundent plot behind every episode. The Coyote tries to catch the elusive Road Runner, relying on his supposedly superior mind and all his resources he goes through in grand fashion scheming and throwing money at the problem to try and catch his prize. All of which ends up in spectacular fashion blowing up in his face.

I'll leave what the Coyote and the Roadrunner are supposed to represent up to imagination. But case in point, he is no damn good at catching the roadrunner and just doesn't know when to quit.


No. Look. The OP and the article were articulating the view that the Dallas Cowboys are a joke.

The problem? Slam and you and others have tried to make this a referendum on Jerry. I get it, the article associates the Cowboys are a joke because of Jerry. But what it really wants to say is that Jerry is a joke. Jerry the GM sucks. Jerry can't find his glory hole. Woohoo. That is a perfectly valid association.

But the Cowboys as an institution and team...are not a joke.


I don't recall them ever specifically stating that the institution as a joke. They as you well pointed out kept highlighting the ridiculous marketing ploys and egos hell bent making the Cowboys the best at everything expect winning. Which is where I think the comment is well deserved. She is talking specifically about the people, not the institution.
_________________

Sciz wrote:
The sarcastic comments are getting old. We already dislike you. Don't make it worse.
LIES!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 23920
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvert28 wrote:

I don't recall them ever specifically stating that the institution as a joke. They as you well pointed out kept highlighting the ridiculous marketing ploys and egos hell bent making the Cowboys the best at everything expect winning. Which is where I think the comment is well deserved. She is talking specifically about the people, not the institution.


Read the OP.

Like I said. I don't like Jerry the GM. In fact, much to Slams surprise, I am not very vocal about defending Jerry the GM. I happen to think he is not the worst thing in creation. I have him as a below-average GM to a poor GM range.

But...

The Dallas Cowboys. Are. Not. A. Joke.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Calvert28


Joined: 21 Oct 2006
Posts: 16734
Location: Adopt a Player: McGee
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can see I'm not going to change your mind. But everything you said as well as the OP said was that the article was about Jerry, he represents the Cowboys and therefore unfortunately has it labeled what people think because of his actions.
_________________

Sciz wrote:
The sarcastic comments are getting old. We already dislike you. Don't make it worse.
LIES!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 23920
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvert28 wrote:
Well I can see I'm not going to change your mind. But everything you said as well as the OP said was that the article was about Jerry, he represents the Cowboys and therefore unfortunately has it labeled what people think because of his actions.


So. You think the Cowboys are a joke?
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Calvert28


Joined: 21 Oct 2006
Posts: 16734
Location: Adopt a Player: McGee
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Calvert28 wrote:
Well I can see I'm not going to change your mind. But everything you said as well as the OP said was that the article was about Jerry, he represents the Cowboys and therefore unfortunately has it labeled what people think because of his actions.


So. You think the Cowboys are a joke?


The sad truth is that you are what people think you are. No matter how much you try to convince them otherwise, in the end. It's their decision to judge what you really are. It may be false, but in our society your painted certain colors in people's minds. Her opinion is no better then your's or mine. But the majority of fans have pretty much come to the same conclusion. And majority wins out in the mainstream media. Which is what the Cowboys are apart of. It's not just us, it's millions of other fans as well we have to share opinions with.
_________________

Sciz wrote:
The sarcastic comments are getting old. We already dislike you. Don't make it worse.
LIES!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hawksrealm


Joined: 03 Nov 2009
Posts: 260
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvert28 wrote:
What Hawkrealm fails to realize, surprising with his vast amount of knowledge is that Schram was asked by several teams, according to my great aunt. Most notably the Raiders and the Oilers. The reason my great aunt knew this was because Bum Phillips is a close friend to the family and told her so after Schram was fired that Adams was trying to get him to come to the Oilers, his only chief competition was supposed to be Davis. Both of whom almost harrassed Schram on a constant basis.

Schram though like Landry bled deep blue, and turned all offers down. And if your wondering how our family is so close to the Phillips family. It was because my great aunt I mentioned was supposed to marry him through an arranged marraige, to which she famously replied and rejected with, "I'm not going to marry a football coach who won't even make a proper living for his family. "

Fun fact Hawksrealm football coaches back then, especially high school coaches which he was at the time made a very poor salary.

So surprisingly enough, you don't know everything.


I never claimed that I know everything, but I sure can point out flaws in what some Jimmy Johnson worshiper says is fact. I mean look at the list of names I put up, great players, and Johnson cut the heart out of the team to go 1-15.
Great story by the way, and it was interesting, but there is no way I could have known what your Aunt knew.

I do know Bum Bright was under investigation by the FBI...whole other story. I do know a certain owner was also at a secret meeting the night before JFK was killed....read the Warren report.

I know Bobby Hayes was the fastest man to ever play football....I know a lot...and I know I don't like people who keep putting down the Old Cowboys. Especially Danny White....who I happen to have grown up with, and played with at ASU.

I know that you guys are like a pack, who like to gang up on anybody who knows more than you do. I also know I'm done with this conversation!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Northland


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 3878
Location: Ajax, Ontario
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the Cowboys a joke? I think it depends upon the criteria one chooses to evalaute that question. If one is examing the balance sheet then the Cowboys are at the head of the class, as far removed from a joke as a franchise could be.

If one takes the question from a purely on field production standpoint, i.e. wins and losses vs. expectations and media coverage then I think they are a joke. I mean one playoff victory since 1996 says it all.
_________________
Northland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Calvert28


Joined: 21 Oct 2006
Posts: 16734
Location: Adopt a Player: McGee
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawksrealm wrote:
Calvert28 wrote:
What Hawkrealm fails to realize, surprising with his vast amount of knowledge is that Schram was asked by several teams, according to my great aunt. Most notably the Raiders and the Oilers. The reason my great aunt knew this was because Bum Phillips is a close friend to the family and told her so after Schram was fired that Adams was trying to get him to come to the Oilers, his only chief competition was supposed to be Davis. Both of whom almost harrassed Schram on a constant basis.

Schram though like Landry bled deep blue, and turned all offers down. And if your wondering how our family is so close to the Phillips family. It was because my great aunt I mentioned was supposed to marry him through an arranged marraige, to which she famously replied and rejected with, "I'm not going to marry a football coach who won't even make a proper living for his family. "

Fun fact Hawksrealm football coaches back then, especially high school coaches which he was at the time made a very poor salary.

So surprisingly enough, you don't know everything.


I never claimed that I know everything, but I sure can point out flaws in what some Jimmy Johnson worshiper says is fact. I mean look at the list of names I put up, great players, and Johnson cut the heart out of the team to go 1-15.
Great story by the way, and it was interesting, but there is no way I could have known what your Aunt knew.

I do know Bum Bright was under investigation by the FBI...whole other story. I do know a certain owner was also at a secret meeting the night before JFK was killed....read the Warren report.

I know Bobby Hayes was the fastest man to ever play football....I know a lot...and I know I don't like people who keep putting down the Old Cowboys. Especially Danny White....who I happen to have grown up with, and played with at ASU.

I know that you guys are like a pack, who like to gang up on anybody who knows more than you do. I also know I'm done with this conversation!


Lmfao did I just hurt your feelings or something? The point of my post was just to show you don't know more otherwise you would have known that. We are not like a pack unless it comes to other team's fans. We are more competitive, ( at least more so then our current team) when debating we go at eachother all time. I don't always argue with TO7, but as you can see we have our difference which is the beauty of this sight. Slam and I have gotten into it on numerous occasions since I first joined. This is not some cliq or h/e you say.

But when people see something that they consider is ridiculous such as not crediting Jimmy with the glory of the 90's dynasty which was his BTW. Your going to have multiple people come out after you. I've been in topics where I was arguing with 7 different posters for 4 to 5 pages. It happens, people disagree with you. We have no conspiracy going on to gang up on knowledge Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing, laughing while I typed that literally because that was such a funny statement.

We are just competitive with our opinions. One of the reasons I have stayed for 6 years. I love this place, and want it to stay this way. Stick around for a year or two. You'll find your opinion of this place is sorely mistaken.
_________________

Sciz wrote:
The sarcastic comments are getting old. We already dislike you. Don't make it worse.
LIES!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TD-ES-JJ


Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Posts: 1771
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The team isn't a joke. They go out there and do the absolute best they can. I don't see a lack of effort.

I think we the fans are the Joke. The fact that we expect playoff runs every year, despite the evidence that we see before us. But that's what makes us "Fan-atics".
_________________


Sig Courtesy of thesickness89
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Northland


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 3878
Location: Ajax, Ontario
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is watching the Bears game, then the answer is readily apparent.
_________________
Northland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheStarStillShines


Joined: 12 Oct 2004
Posts: 8527
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
If anyone is watching the Bears game, then the answer is readily apparent.


The same thought crossed my mind.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WakaKoalaFlame


Joined: 10 Feb 2011
Posts: 542
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offense sure is. Don't know how anyone can argue against that.
_________________
Robert Griffin III: 2012-2013 NFL Rookie of the Year
Josh Gordon:
Kendall Wright:
Terrance Williams:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group