Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GDT: BAL Ravens @ KC Chiefs (W5)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many receptions will Cary Williams allow?
0!!!!!!
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
1-3
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
4-6
35%
 35%  [ 7 ]
7+
35%
 35%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 20

STrid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Flaccomania here, and besides everyone know you hate Cam's guts, SNA.

What summarizes the game best was how unable our players were to win their direct match-ups. Right from the offensive line to the secondary everyone routinely got beat out there (Except for Kruger, what a man-beast, and Ngata).

The most obvious one is of course Osemele who couldn't do anything right all game. But i think Osemele made the OL look worse than it actually was, simply because he was getting beat quite a lot. Otherwise the other guys looked okay for a lot of the game, even though Oher gave up a sack, which by the way was on Flacco more than Oher. However right now I'm actually satisfied with our OL for the most part simply because they're not costing us games and we're getting to develop the young guys. Lets give them some consistency and I think they will improve as a unit. What I normally hate about our OL is that most of the guys are older and thus not going to develop much if any. The struggles of our older OL's of years past never went away, but I'm confident that as time goes on we can create a really solid line with these guys.
I particularly like what the Texans have been doing for some years now. They're grooming guys for their OL to take over with only a few great pieces on it otherwise. I bet that if you took a lot of those guys away they wouldn't be half as good, not necessarily only because they are system guys, but also because they're so used to playing together. I really hope that Baltimore are trying to join that homegrown movement by exploring some of the younger guys rather than always going with the slightly better yet older veteran.

I think Cam for the most part did a good job helping out Osemele when he could be giving him some help. The guy was obviously giving up pressure quickly, so I'm not sure running a quickstrike offense was going to be effective. You can say what you want about the Pats offense, but even Brady requires some time in the pocket to get his guys open, which he often gets mind you. Besides that he is one of the best, if not the best, in the business at making decisions and getting rid of the ball quickly. Now obviously Flacco has got a lot of quality, but his game is not that similar to Brady's at that you can ask them to do the same things. I like that we did some quick strike plays, some no-huddle and some regular I-form. I can guarantee you that no-huddle is not that easy to run in Arrowhead Stadium with all those fans roaring down at you.

^Et billede siger mere end tusind ord!
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I don't get what there is to complain about really... this game never happened. We just miraculously were awarded an extra win by Roger Goodell... why are people even talking about some fictitious event here... and if say there WAS such a game played as horribly on both sides of the ball that the Ravens could muster, I don't think a) it would be worth remembering or complaining about and/or b) it wouldn't necessarily tell us much about this team.

The Browns game is a better indicator. Such a game where nothing goes right and we still win... well you either forget such a game or you think to yourself that maybe it does tell us something about our team. Maybe it tells us that even on our worse days, we've got enough to get it done. We're 4-1 and we don't have too many bad teams on our schedule, so I'm not too worried about us playing down to the level of our opponent.

All I'm worried about is this: 3-1... as in 3 games to one loss, which equals a 12-4 record by seasons end. The way I see it, 12-4 is going to be pretty darn close to giving us a bye week throughout the playoffs. The way I see it, the Patriots are probably going to finish in that 12-4 area as well, we have the tie-breaker... we already have a leg up on both the Steelers and Bengals to this point. We're 2nd in the conference ATM.

All I know is that I want to beat the Cowboys this coming week because I dislike the Cowboys fans I know IRL. But beyond the Cowboys, we desperately need a win against the Texans. Besides the fact that we'll need it to give us a "W", we'll need it for a possible tie-breaker at the end of the season if it comes to that.

All I care about is home field advantage. A 12-4 record, beating the Texans, sweeping the Browns, and at worse tying the Steelers/Bengals... should give us what we need. But the Texans are my red dot. A meaningless game where the team played like garbage, I'm already past. I'm moving on to bigger things, immediate goals... like 3-1, everything else is like that KC Chiefs mod's moniker on this site... RearViewMirror. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpeter15 wrote:
I don't know the exact number but I felt like we suffered a lot of drops and those are obviously drive killers. I am not happy with how we are playing but right now I care more about wins than how we win. The second half of the season I will start caring more about how we win those games, though.

We also went into this game believing the Chiefs matched up well against us and it proved to be true with the pressure they got on Flacco. Our O-line is not great and it won't magically become great.

The more I've thought about this, the more I agree.

At this point in the season, it's about getting yourself into a good position for later in the season -- building the foundation. It's not about how pretty you win, where you are in the power rankings, who you've beat, etc. At this point, it's about getting W's any way you can. Once you start to get to week 14 and beyond, that's when style points will start to matter in the sense that you need your team to get hot and take that momentum into the playoffs. The SB isn't about who the hottest team was during the regular season, it's about who's the hottest in the playoffs. While obviously I'd like to see our team not struggle like we did, at least we came out with the W.

With the amount of young guys we're working in, some growing pains are expected. We have 6 guys starting in positions that they didn't start in last year, and all of them are in the front 7 or on the OL. And which units seem to be struggling? You guessed it. Hopefully as the season goes on, the OL will develop that needed chemistry as KO and Harewood start to get more experience and as Oher gets reacquainted with the left side. Hopefully Upshaw will begin to learn the nuances of shedding blocks with ease and setting that edge (which I think he's improved quite a bit over the last few weeks personally), and Kruger will begin to further define his role as well. Not to mention we may be returning the reigning DPOY into that front 7 in a month or two which even if he's not 100%, will at least provide us with a spark and another leader out there.

Right now, we've definitely seen some problems, particularly on the defensive side of the ball with the new look front 7 and a new coordinator. We've seen our offense look pretty good overall, but still have some lapses, and hopefully we can get that smoothed out. But, big picture, we're 4-1, 2-0 in our division, 4-0 against the AFC, and have a 1 game lead in our division. I'm sure if we were offered that standing after week 5 way back in the pre-season, we'd all jump at it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing, if you guys want to see a GOOD play-action team who constantly runs 2 WR 1 TE 2 RB, watch the Houston Texans.

Matt Schaub is the most least mobile QB's in the NFL and he runs that play-action game better than any team I've seen. It makes me sad watching that product and then realizing I have to watch the Ravens after watching something so beautiful like that.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Another thing, if you guys want to see a GOOD play-action team who constantly runs 2 WR 1 TE 2 RB, watch the Houston Texans.

Matt Schaub is the most least mobile QB's in the NFL and he runs that play-action game better than any team I've seen. It makes me sad watching that product and then realizing I have to watch the Ravens after watching something so beautiful like that.

They also have a very good OL. And what does Schaub's mobility have anything to do with running PA? Unless you're talking about bootlegs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

They also have a very good OL. And what does Schaub's mobility have anything to do with running PA? Unless you're talking about bootlegs.

Their offensive line is good every year, and didn't they just lose 2 starters from that offensive line? Winston and a Guard? Either way, the way they run their bootlegs and utilize their blocking schemes is just pure fun to watch.

Yes, I'm talking about Bootlegs, they run a lot of zone bootlegs with WR's and TE's crossing. I see us run those plays like 3 times a season, and of those 3 times, 2 of them are touchdowns.

BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One underrated aspect of our start so far is the fact that we're winning football games in a variety of different ways. We blew Cincinnati out. Came from behind in a shootout win over the Pats. Dominated Cleveland while not really putting them away, but still came away with the win. And then went into Arrowhead and came out battered, bruised, but victorious in a defensive slugfest. That's a sign of a team that, on the one hand, is still trying to figure out its identity, but also a team that never panics and will always be in a game. That, above anything else, is who we are. With the glaring, structural flaws on both our offensive and defensive lines, I don't think it's possible or realistic to expect this team to blow teams out on a weekly basis. Simply put, I think anyone who feels entitled to that is drastically overrating the talent level we have here. Our front 7 lacks explosion and athleticism, and who knows how much Suggs can offer this year? Our offensive line is still meshing and to begin with only possesses one guy who you could really call dependable in Yanda. Our receivers struggle beating press coverage. All areas for improvement, but even the best coaching isn't going to turn all of the water into wine.

We seem a lot like the Steelers in the sense that we're going to win games simply because that's what we do. There are teams in this league that are flat out better than us, but at the end of the day, that doesn't mean we can't beat any of them. That's how the Giants won the Super Bowl, and if we do go on a playoff run this year, it will be for a similar reason. I thought at the beginning of this season we were 7-9 to 9-7 type team, and I think even now the main reason that we may outperform those expectations has mostly to do with the fact that we are a team that figures out how to win games, not because of an overwhelming talent advantage.

It's important to remember how long this season really is. By the time January rolls around, these games will feel like they happened in another lifetime. It will have almost no bearing on what we look like, because teams evolve ever so drastically as seasons roll on. We're not going to get away drastically from who we are, but we are also still in the process of building to whatever the best version of who we are really is. So as cliche as it sounds, sometimes you just have to take the win whatever way it comes. That is going to be what positions us best to try to make a run this winter.

This team needs to, and will, improve from this past Sunday's effort. But if we can crap the bed and still get the W, that's really not the worst thing in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
One underrated aspect of our start so far is the fact that we're winning football games in a variety of different ways. We blew Cincinnati out. Came from behind in a shootout win over the Pats. Dominated Cleveland while not really putting them away, but still came away with the win. And then went into Arrowhead and came out battered, bruised, but victorious in a defensive slugfest. That's a sign of a team that, on the one hand, is still trying to figure out its identity, but also a team that never panics and will always be in a game. That, above anything else, is who we are. With the glaring, structural flaws on both our offensive and defensive lines, I don't think it's possible or realistic to expect this team to blow teams out on a weekly basis. Simply put, I think anyone who feels entitled to that is drastically overrating the talent level we have here. Our front 7 lacks explosion and athleticism, and who knows how much Suggs can offer this year? Our offensive line is still meshing and to begin with only possesses one guy who you could really call dependable in Yanda. Our receivers struggle beating press coverage. All areas for improvement, but even the best coaching isn't going to turn all of the water into wine.

We seem a lot like the Steelers in the sense that we're going to win games simply because that's what we do. There are teams in this league that are flat out better than us, but at the end of the day, that doesn't mean we can't beat any of them. That's how the Giants won the Super Bowl, and if we do go on a playoff run this year, it will be for a similar reason. I thought at the beginning of this season we were 7-9 to 9-7 type team, and I think even now the main reason that we may outperform those expectations has mostly to do with the fact that we are a team that figures out how to win games, not because of an overwhelming talent advantage.

It's important to remember how long this season really is. By the time January rolls around, these games will feel like they happened in another lifetime. It will have almost no bearing on what we look like, because teams evolve ever so drastically as seasons roll on. We're not going to get away drastically from who we are, but we are also still in the process of building to whatever the best version of who we are really is. So as cliche as it sounds, sometimes you just have to take the win whatever way it comes. That is going to be what positions us best to try to make a run this winter.

This team needs to, and will, improve from this past Sunday's effort. But if we can crap the bed and still get the W, that's really not the worst thing in the world.

Excellently put. Applause

We have talent on this team, but it's foolish by some to believe that the talent we have is near the best in the league. We are good because we have the needed amount of talent, with the needed amount of veteran leadership, with the heart to put it all together.

There's never been a year where I feel we've never had at least a few glaring weaknesses. Yet we're always competing. This team is 4-1. Honestly who cares about a blowout. Is it nice every once in awhile? Yes, but what matters is getting the "W" when we can get them.

Like I said, the short term goal during every quarter of the season should be 3-1. We did that through the first portion. And in this portion we're 1-0.. that's all that matters. Let teams that aren't used to winning and to teams gunning for them every week hold-fast to their blowouts in the regular season. The goal of this team before the season started IMO was to get their young guys up-to-speed... Like Upshaw, K.O., Harewood... see some growth from our first year starters like Kruger, McPhee. Well besides this past game KO has done as nice a job as most veterans (better than Oher in 2011) going through this procession of pass rushers he's had to endure... especially with teams gunning for him because he's a rookie; Upshaw has been one of our best defenders in a couple of our games this year; and Kruger while still struggling to "set" the edge is starting to display the overall playmaking ability that we thought he had going into this season. As far as I'm concerned that leaves Harewood, who is still raw and learning a new position... and McPhee as guys I'd like to see making some kind of leap as the season progresses.

So we've achieved our goals to this point in both winning and developing talent. Until we start losing these games and get off track from our goals... we can keep winning games by 3 points... as long as the SB ends with us winning by three as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the more I think about it, the more I realize that I thought this was going to be a bad year for us and now that we're 4-1 my expectations shot right back up to where they were last year and realistically we don't have the best talent on defense, we don't have the best scheme on offense, but if we win games with that then I guess that's all that matters?

diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
I guess the more I think about it, the more I realize that I thought this was going to be a bad year for us and now that we're 4-1 my expectations shot right back up to where they were last year and realistically we don't have the best talent on defense, we don't have the best scheme on offense, but if we win games with that then I guess that's all that matters?

Well, sorta. I think what matters most is that we continue to improve. A lot like last season where we weren't sure how the WR situation would shake out. And Torrey Smith ended up having a huge season for us and really opening things up for us, well this year we equally have holes within the defensive front 7 and along the offensive line. If our young guys can go the route of Smith and be impact contributors in a big way, then we're golden. But as it stands... we still need them to develop.

If we can win PLUS develop our guys... that's what matters. Because the regular season is to put us in the best position to win in the postseason. Wins alone won't do that, but it's a great start.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Well, sorta. I think what matters most is that we continue to improve. A lot like last season where we weren't sure how the WR situation would shake out. And Torrey Smith ended up having a huge season for us and really opening things up for us, well this year we equally have holes within the defensive front 7 and along the offensive line. If our young guys can go the route of Smith and be impact contributors in a big way, then we're golden. But as it stands... we still need them to develop.

If we can win PLUS develop our guys... that's what matters. Because the regular season is to put us in the best position to win in the postseason. Wins alone won't do that, but it's a great start.

Eh, except I don't think I've seen improvement this year. The offense has gotten worse every week, our WR's and TE's have regressed. Our offensive line can't block.

On defense I've seen SOME improvement. Even though we can't stop the run, our pass defense has improved and our pass rush is improving slightly. It's awesome though to watch our ILB's get slaughtered in the run game....

BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I'd say our offense has gotten worse every week. This was the first truly bad week for them. They were fantastic in Week 1 and 3 vs. the Bengals and Pats, really good for 1 half vs. Philly in Week 2 before Flacco took a knock and things started stalling, and against Cleveland a set of circumstances we probably won't see on a regular basis (a pick in the end zone, missed extra point, missed field goal) obscured the fact that we moved the ball pretty easily on them and piled up 438 yards of offense.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On offense I'm most worried about the offensive line (what else is new). I don't think they've really gelled and although it's still kind of early in the season it's concerning that the unit hasn't improved much. Some teams can get by in crucial games with poor offensive lines but I don't think that's the case for the Ravens with Flacco at QB. I like Flacco a lot and he has improved but he's the type of QB that needs consistent protection to be successful.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well one thing is for sure. Assuming we make the playoffs our OL will be battle tested by the time they get there. Our OL may not have jelled the way we'd have hoped to this point, but they've been playing against stellar competition. You have Geno Atkins (not too much of a threat alone, but we did look good that game); Eagles insane DL speaks for itself; Chandler Jones, Vince Wilfork, Hightower; Billy Winn, Rubin, Sheard; Houston/Hali... I mean those aren't exactly scrubs we've been dealing with. It's hard for young inexperienced guys to look good going up against talented units.

And in the coming weeks it's only likely to get even worse between two of the top 10 defensive players in the league playing us in Ware/Watt.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that I've said this before but I think the single biggest mistake the Ravens have made in the past 2-3 years (Harbaugh era) was basically forcing Jared Gaither out of Baltimore.

I've watched him with the Chargers and he's just a solid LT who rarely gets beat. Obviously Oher is built to be a RT, not a LT and just imagine if we still had that continuity on offensive line instead of basically forcing him to leave because we wanted Oher to play LT for no apparent reason at all.

But hindsight is 20/20, but I said it while Gaither was still here that we should have let him play LT.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 22 of 23

Jump to: