Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bobbie Williams Starting
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Bobbie Williams Starting Reply with quote

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-sources-bobbie-williams-to-start-against-cowboys-at-left-guard-replacing-ramon-harewood-20121012,0,4093296.story

Quote:
The Baltmore Ravens are making a change at left guard heading into Sunday's game against the Dallas Cowboys.

According to two sources, veteran Bobbie Williams will start at left guard Sunday as he'll replace Ramon Harewood.

It's unclear if the change will be permanent and that will likely hinge on Williams' health and how he performs.

Well at least they're trying something. I don't think this is the answer though.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Williams was injured in preseason so maybe having had a good month and a half to recover has allowed him to finally get to where the team wanted him to be.

Harewood has been getting owned by defenders bull rushing into him. He hasn't been very stout. He's also been weak against stunts. That said, his size was immense and it definitely helped to clog things up on occasion.

Since the team doesn't seem to have enough confidence in Harewood to continue to roll with him, I think this does say something about what our biggest need might be in the 2013 offseason.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like Reid is finally getting healthy too so he's a guy to keep an eye on. I think he has a chance to start at RT or LG. It's hard to say what to do with the OL after this season since it's such a mess. Oher hasn't been good either but I don't think they're going to be looking for a LT and I don't think they will look for another C before Gradkowski gets a shot either. Yanda has the RG spot locked down so LG probably is the position on the OL with the biggest probability of the team addressing it. There's just so many unknown factors right now.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense...

Our tackles both give up 2 sacks a piece so we replace our LG because he must be the problem.

Loving the Harbaugh logic this year.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
It sounds like Reid is finally getting healthy too so he's a guy to keep an eye on. I think he has a chance to start at RT or LG. It's hard to say what to do with the OL after this season since it's such a mess. Oher hasn't been good either but I don't think they're going to be looking for a LT and I don't think they will look for another C before Gradkowski gets a shot either. Yanda has the RG spot locked down so LG probably is the position on the OL with the biggest probability of the team addressing it. There's just so many unknown factors right now.

Yeah, we seem to have a lot of confusion about what to do with our OL. The more I think about it, the more I think if Barrett Jones continues to be mocked toward the end of the first round (for some reason)... he's probably the perfect selection for what we need along the OL. He's a very good utility man- I look at him and see another Marshall Yanda, but with a little more size and slightly more athleticism.

He could compete with Oher for the LT spot. Or we could just plug him in at LG and have him- along with Yanda be a fixture along the unit for a long time to come.

But you make a good point. I think if Williams struggles, we should see what we have in Reid at either RT or LG before we determine just how much of a need interior OL are to this team.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Makes sense...

Our tackles both give up 2 sacks a piece so we replace our LG because he must be the problem.

I don't see what the problem is. Who else are we going to have playing OT? KO has been doing a very good job outside of the Kansas City game. Oher has been better than last season while playing along the left side... he's probably been above average in comparison to the rest of the league to this point.

Oher and KO both had a bad game... but so did basically the entire team. Whereas Ramone Harewood has been struggling for awhile now. He didn't look good against the Patriots nor the Eagles. 6th round pick Billy Winn absolutely tore him a new one against the Browns... Harewood had his moments.. and he did well in the first game, but FTMP he's been a liability.

It's not a dumb move to pull someone on the OL that looks like they're overwhelmed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Makes sense...

I don't see what the problem is. Who else are we going to have playing OT? KO has been doing a very good job outside of the Kansas City game. Oher has been better than last season while playing along the left side... he's probably been above average in comparison to the rest of the league to this point.

Oher and KO both had a bad game... but so did basically the entire team. Whereas Ramone Harewood has been struggling for awhile now. He didn't look good against the Patriots nor the Eagles. 6th round pick Billy Winn absolutely tore him a new one against the Browns... Harewood had his moments.. and he did well in the first game, but FTMP he's been a liability.

It's not a dumb move to pull someone on the OL that looks like they're overwhelmed.

Oher and KO have both looked overwhelmed at points this season, not just Harewood.

But I mean, if they think this is going to solve our offensive line issues (which have NOT been the guards and C), then sure, go for it. Joe's still going to get sacked 3+ times a game when we do playaction with long developing routes whilst giving our offensive tackles ZERO help on the edge.

diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Oher and KO have both looked overwhelmed at points this season, not just Harewood.

But I mean, if they think this is going to solve our offensive line issues (which have NOT been the guards and C), then sure, go for it. Joe's still going to get sacked 3+ times a game when we do playaction with long developing routes whilst giving our offensive tackles ZERO help on the edge.

You mean to tell me that you don't believe Harewood nor Birk have been issues along our OL? Yanda is the only fixture on the unit. But in terms of play this season, I'd say that Harewood has absolutely looked the worst of all our starting OL. He's simply been abused on a consistent basis against multiple defenders and multiple defensive fronts.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harewood and Birk have looked pretty bad at times; it's not just Oher and Osemele. Like I said I don't think Williams is going to fix anything but everybody but Yanda has been a problem this season.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

You mean to tell me that you don't believe Harewood nor Birk have been issues along our OL? Yanda is the only fixture on the unit. But in terms of play this season, I'd say that Harewood has absolutely looked the worst of all our starting OL. He's simply been abused on a consistent basis against multiple defenders and multiple defensive fronts.

Like someone else just pointed out, everyone but Yanda has been bad. I don't see Harewood giving up 2-3 sacks a game like I do with Oher and KO.

Either way, fixing the offensive line isn't as simple as replacing someone. We have to be more creative with chip blocking and leaving guys in to help, which obviously Cam doesn't believe in.

NJ Raven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many times has Birk been pancaked this year? It's evident he's a shell of his former self. I agree that LG-C has been the main weakness, at least from my eye test so far.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that LG-C has been a bigger weakness than either OT spot but I don't think that there's a huge difference either. It's just that both groups have been so inconsistent. I'm really worried about a Williams-Birk combination inside athletically. The run-blocking hasn't been an issue this year but that's where Williams' main strength lies and I don't see him improving the pass-protection. Dallas probably won't be able to exploit it too much with the type of defense they run/the personnel they have on the DL but it's something I'm going to be keeping a close eye on.
dcarey20

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite honestly I was shocked when we came out for the opening game and Ramon Harewood was our starter at left guard. He's a taller, slim, more athletic lineman who seems like his best fit would be as a tackle who can neutralize speed rushers. He hasn't been great thus far but Harewood is not a guy that I am going to criticize too much; I mean this is a player who was a 6th? round pick and has been labeled as a project player since he was drafted...the fact that he's even been able to start some games for us is a success in my eyes.

We'll see how Bobbie does, if he's healthy and can look anything like he did when he was in his prime with Cinci, that would be great.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Like someone else just pointed out, everyone but Yanda has been bad. I don't see Harewood giving up 2-3 sacks a game like I do with Oher and KO.

Either way, fixing the offensive line isn't as simple as replacing someone. We have to be more creative with chip blocking and leaving guys in to help, which obviously Cam doesn't believe in.

And you do realize that edge threats are more likely to accumulate sacks than interior DL players. JJ Watt is the only IDL that has shown the consistent ability to get in the backfield and sack the QB at a comparable level to edge threats. So of course the sack numbers will be higher for the positions Oher/KO lineup against.

Case and point Billy Winn dominated Ramone Harewood worse than Oher/KO were beat by Hali/Houston... yet the stats only show him having 2 stuffs and no sacks. The fact remains that Harewood has been getting trampled. He's looked good at times, but also really bad at others. He has potential still, but ATM he's not a dependable option. LG was our worst starter.

And your above post made it seem like replacing Harewood was a BAD idea... as it was a typical Harbaugh move... so you arguing that the whole line has struggled now means next to nothing. The fact is, Harbaugh made a change at starting LG... therefore Harbaugh is making an attempt at fixing the starting OL. Yet you complain? I don't get it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcarey20 wrote:
Quite honestly I was shocked when we came out for the opening game and Ramon Harewood was our starter at left guard. He's a taller, slim, more athletic lineman who seems like his best fit would be as a tackle who can neutralize speed rushers. He hasn't been great thus far but Harewood is not a guy that I am going to criticize too much; I mean this is a player who was a 6th? round pick and has been labeled as a project player since he was drafted...the fact that he's even been able to start some games for us is a success in my eyes.

We'll see how Bobbie does, if he's healthy and can look anything like he did when he was in his prime with Cinci, that would be great.

Slim? The guy is listed at 340. I think everybody was shocked when he was named the starter at LG but slim is definitely not something to describe him as. I'm not really disappointed in his performance either. To be honest I never really expected anything out of Harewood with as raw as he was coming out of college and then with all of the issues he had with his knees. Though for me to call it a success would have to mean he's actually good.

Here's some info:

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider

In five starts, Ramon Harewood had no penalties, allowing one sack and a dozen quarterback pressures.

12 QB pressures in 5 games is quite a bit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: