Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hightower vs Woolfe
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mke1010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Hightower vs Woolfe Reply with quote

Woolfe has looked very ordinary since week one. On the other hand, Hightower continues to look impressive for the Pats week in week out. Seeing some of our issues at linebacker, I am beginning to worry we may have fluffed the pick when we passed on Hightower for Woolfe.
Based on what we have seen of our defense thus far, is it a stretch to assume Hightower would be making more of an impact than Woolfe? Am I way off base?
dbronx42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least spell Derek Wolfe's name right if your going to question a draft pick after 4 games. Laughing Especially when he's been a good player for the Broncos. Has 10 tackles, 2 stuffs, and 1 sack so far this year. Derek has been a big factor as to why our run defense looks a lot better in 2012.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbronx42 wrote:
At least spell Derek Wolfe's name right if your going to question a draft pick after 4 games. Laughing Especially when he's been a good player for the Broncos. Has 10 tackles, 2 stuffs, and 1 sack so far this year. Derek has been a big factor as to why our run defense looks a lot better in 2012.

I did not call Wolfe a bust. I merely suggested that Hightower maybe the better/more dominant player. If from time to time I mis-spell a player's name, it is no big deal. I hear fans and NFL commentators butcher various NFL player names both in pronounciation and spelling simply because they are foreign names. So, forgive me if I don't give a hoot about not getting the spelling right. It is not a novel offense. Fact is your observation in regards to his name has no substantive value to the question at hand. Cheers.

P.s- if you have been watching Bronco games, you would have noticed that after getting his first sack against the Steelers, Derek basically disappeared against the Falcons and Texans. So throwing out stats does not necessarily reflect the impact he has had thus far.
I remain optimistic that Wolfe will be a very good player for a long time. However, as a fan I worry that the other player we passed on maybe better, and more importantly might have addressed a more pressing need. I don't think pondering such a question is a crime.
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is clear that he hasn't been the pass rusher we expected he would be as a DT in our Nickel package. I thought yesterday was his best game as a pro on first watch. It was clear that we needed to stop McFadden and containing the edge against a ZBS is always vital, and Derek appeared to do a very good job at that yesterday.

I am a tad concerned at how many snaps he is playing (came into the game playing 80%), and I think he is going to start losing snaps to Robert Ayers soon who has actually been impressing in his limited chances so far this year.

MUFC OK
AKRNA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's way to early to tell. He's been JDR's favorite toy and pretty effective at occupying blockers and disrupting schemes.

Do keep in mind our overall DL play has vastly improved from last year and I think you need to look at he and Unrein as a big part of that. Very quick for such large men. Just imagine how good they'll be once they learn to play the game. Very Happy
mke1010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
I think it's way to early to tell. He's been JDR's favorite toy and pretty effective at occupying blockers and disrupting schemes.

Do keep in mind our overall DL play has vastly improved from last year and I think you need to look at he and Unrein as a big part of that. Very quick for such large men. Just imagine how good they'll be once they learn to play the game. Very Happy

I must admit I under-rated Unrein's talent. He has been impressive this year and is a lot better than many of us gave him credit for.
elwayfan07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are a few things to keep in mind,

1. The LB has always been much easier to come in and have an immediate impact. That is one reason why we may be more impressed with Hightower.

2. Scheme- While he hasn't racked up sacks and hurries, he has done a great job setting the edge in this defense. He is very stout and though his impact isn't directly seen through sacks, pressures etc. He has played a nice part. He is playing the role similar to that of what Paul Spicer played in Jacksonville under JDR bigger size DE that can create a little push and allow others to make plays. In JDR's scheme the LB's should be making all the plays. (except our LB's are not that good)

3. Completely different note. I really have been thoroughly impressed with Mitch Unrein. His improvement has been huge. I know some of it probably has to do with the scheme. However, he has really done a great job of getting push

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: ear we'll Reply with quote

I think JDR deserves a lot of credit here. he's really using the abilities of Unrein and Wolfe well. We seem to be attacking gaps in the OL rather than being reactive. Takes the OL out of their scheme.

Thats the kind of thing Bunkley and Thomas couldn't do. Just weren't quick enough.

I think by the end of the year we'll have Jackson more involved also. These guys are all similar. 6'5" 300+- strong but very very quick for men that large. Not a Stroud / Henderson combination in size, but disruptive in their speed and quickness.

PS: sure wish I could see this from other than a sideline cam. Grew up watching from the highest level of the 2nd deck at Mile High. Much different game from up there.
ToastedOats

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfe doesn't need to get 10 sacks to be considered dominate. He stops the run, commands double teams (although not all the time), and is constantly working to get to the QB. He is more valuable to Denver because of the position he plays.

Did anyone else think Brooking was all over the field? He was heads and shoulders better than Mays IMO.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally didn't like the pick but I have to say I was wrong. Wolfe has been impressive so far. He's not racking up huge sack numbers but, as lomaxgr said, he's playing his role nicely.

I've never understood the Hightower love. He's a good player in a 3-4 but I'm not sure he has the athleticism to be an every-down MIKE in a 4-3.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way too early to tell. Personally if I was going to pick another defensive player it would probably involve trading down to get Jerel Worthy, who I think is going to be a better player. But whatever, you can do this for any year.

Why did we trade up for Alphonso Smith when we could have had Jason Pierre Paul with that pick? Why did we draft Zane Beadles when we could have had Carlos Dunlap?
Donut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
I originally didn't like the pick but I have to say I was wrong. Wolfe has been impressive so far. He's not racking up huge sack numbers but, as lomaxgr said, he's playing his role nicely.

I've never understood the Hightower love. He's a good player in a 3-4 but I'm not sure he has the athleticism to be an every-down MIKE in a 4-3.

Hightower can do a lot of different things. He's decent in coverage, big, athletic, and a good run defender. His cover skills are improving and he was excellent shooting gap as MLB in college(havent seen much of that in NFL). I wouldn't really note him though of being all that fantastic. I'm contributing and playing his role well but I havent been very impressed of surprised by him(thought he'd be used a bit differently)

I think Wolfe is a better fit than hightower for Den. Belichick has been using Hightower as SOLB. He's been playing run and covering well and has played his role well. Before season I expected him to play OLB on early downs and move to DE as a rusher or MLB and take spikes off the field. So he could've been useful in that sense for denver but I dont think he'd be used very well compared to Wolfe w/ Von at SOLB and w/ Doom as a passrusher from DE I dont think Hightower would go to hand in dirt and would only help as a blitzer from MLB.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our standards for the DT position get worse every year. Kevin Vickerson would be a #3 at best DT on another team. Unrein probably wouldn't even be on most rosters. Justin Bannan is also a joke.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell2Bailey wrote:
I think our standards for the DT position get worse every year. Kevin Vickerson would be a #3 at best DT on another team. Unrein probably wouldn't even be on most rosters. Justin Bannan is also a joke.

On the positive side at least the fans standards may be a tad higher. After all, it used to be around these parts people slobbering over NFL reject Marcus Thomas who I don't even think could have made this year's team.
elliot878

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfes been fine so far if you ask me, and he seems to have a knack for showing up in big spots. Lets keep in mind as a few have said, the left end spot in this scheme is more about setting the edge in the run game, and occupying blockers so Von is more effective. So far Wolfe's been fine at this.

Sure I'd like to see more of a pass rush from him, especially in nickel situations. I'll just be happy our first pick earned a starting job right off the bat, and has shown no signs of being a bust.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: