Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers Activate Mike Neal, Cut Phillip Merling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

svp wrote:
When do we find out? The suspension is killing me.

Monday.

justo wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
I'm with you all day here.
Any time Palmy agrees with me I smile a little bit.

Nice catch IAR!

Same thing, but usually more so with my mocks. And thanks.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
Mattwaukee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

svp wrote:
When do we find out? The suspension is killing me.

There is a week roster exemption
blankman0021

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:
Sending someone to IR though would still have their salary count against our cap. So the cutting Merling because his salary is guaranteed vs sending someone to IR doesn't matter. If we send Richardson, his salary is 390k. The difference between sending him to IR vs cutting Merling is no difference. Those two salaries stay on our books. If we cut someone vs Merling, then there's the difference.
Exactly what I was thinking. Good post.

Except you get to keep them another offseason too. At least you're not paying for nothing. He'll be there next training camp.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
rbens06

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:
justo wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:
Sending someone to IR though would still have their salary count against our cap. So the cutting Merling because his salary is guaranteed vs sending someone to IR doesn't matter. If we send Richardson, his salary is 390k. The difference between sending him to IR vs cutting Merling is no difference. Those two salaries stay on our books. If we cut someone vs Merling, then there's the difference.

Except you get to keep them another offseason too. At least you're not paying for nothing. He'll be there next training camp.

Also, there is a 310K difference between Richardson and Merling. That does not seem like a ton, but it is a savings we can use elsewhere.
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbens06 wrote:
blankman0021 wrote:
justo wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:

Also, there is a 310K difference between Richardson and Merling. That does not seem like a ton, but it is a savings we can use elsewhere.

No there isn't. There's a 150K difference. And that's for cutting Richardson, which we A) Can't do since he's injured and B) probably don't want to do. There is a 0 cost difference for IR because both salaries count against the cap regardless.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
rbens06

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
rbens06 wrote:
blankman0021 wrote:
justo wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:

No there isn't. There's a 150K difference. And that's for cutting Richardson, which we A) Can't do since he's injured and B) probably don't want to do. There is a 0 cost difference for IR because both salaries count against the cap regardless.

Should have explained more, this is exactly right for the IR situation with Richardson and cutting Merling.

I agree with point B that we probably do not want to cut him, but you can cut an injured player, you just need to give them an injury settlement, which in that case we are out that money. This happens all the time with players in training camp and I believe we did this a couple of years ago with Blackmon.
Richardson's contract is not fully guaranteed, thus cutting him would result in his remaining salary coming off our books (less any injury settlement). Cutting Merling, whose contract is fully guaranteed, would result in his salary staying on the books. This means that we would save money by cutting Richardson over Merling. Right now from my calculations the difference in remaining salaries is 232,500, which means that if we cut Merling over cutting Richardson we are out 232,500 more than just cutting Richardson.
Either way, right now I do not think we will cut either of the two.
fritz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you think the decision will have a lot less to do with saving money than with who makes the roster the strongest?

Also, if Neal were going to play Sunday, wouldn't you think the team would have announced a roster move by now?

My guess is that they'll wait until their week exemption is up, then make a move. Since the Packers play so few defensive linemen - sometimes three, sometimes two or even one, depending upon the formation - my guess is that they'll cut Merling to make room. I suppose they could IR Richardson, but wouldn't that be blatantly misusing IR to manage the roster?

But then again, they did that with Lawrence Guy last year, I think.
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritz wrote:
Don't you think the decision will have a lot less to do with saving money than with who makes the roster the strongest?

Also, if Neal were going to play Sunday, wouldn't you think the team would have announced a roster move by now?

My guess is that they'll wait until their week exemption is up, then make a move. Since the Packers play so few defensive linemen - sometimes three, sometimes two or even one, depending upon the formation - my guess is that they'll cut Merling to make room. I suppose they could IR Richardson, but wouldn't that be blatantly misusing IR to manage the roster?

Jeff. Demps. Patriots. /topic

My money is on Merling cut or Richardson/surprise person to IR. Saving a couple hundred K isn't that big of a deal for them. They still have plenty of cap space to load a deal into this year.

stallyns wrote:
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Packers wrote:
Packers activated DE Mike Neal from exempt status and released DE Phillip Merling

Boom.

stallyns wrote:
justo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Packers activated DE Mike Neal from exempt status and released DE Phillip Merling
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Quote:

Beat you. Laughing

stallyns wrote:
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
@Packers wrote:

Boom.

It was the obvious move. 5 DL are going to be game day actives in normal circumstances, no reason to devote 2 roster spots to guys who stand to be healthy scratches week in and week out (not saying that would be Merling and Neal, but just that it would be the bottom 2/7 DL, now it's the bottom 1/6 DL).

fritz wrote:
...wouldn't that be blatantly misusing IR to manage the roster?

Considering the NFL's ongoing massive lawsuit about concussions, and it's related emphasis on them, I think that if a player suffers a concussion that causes him to miss a significant portion of training camp and the preseason and is still not cleared by doctors at roster cut-down time, putting him on IR should be considered a totally legitimate move.

I mean, it's not like a concussion can't be a year-long injury, just ask Justin Morneau, Sidney Crosby, or Jahvid Best.

Last edited by PossibleCabbage on Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
justo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
justo wrote:
Quote:

Beat you. Laughing

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
Damn you Laughing

Mike Neal activated for a "homecoming" game. Me gusta.

Quote:
Football gave me everything I have. Seen many cities and met so many beautiful people. So I'm taking the time to thank thegame THANK YOU FB

Merling knows this was going to happen
palmy50

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
@Packers wrote:

Boom.

No issue from my end. I was shocked when Merling made the team. Win for both parties. Merling filled the spot and got paid VERY well for 4 games.

Now it's time to see what Neal can do with the other young rushers, starting tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Quote:

I'll update the thread title to reflect the transaction.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: