Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The build from within philosophy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: The build from within philosophy Reply with quote

Okay, admittedly I dunno if this is the most appropriate title for this thread, and it is more of a hodge podge of ideas about the Packers' areas of concerns.

Looking at this team it seems obvious that the problems are two fold: 1) We have no legit LT on our roster 2) Lack of ability running the football

I'm kinda surprised I am not seeing more mock drafts that have us taking a LT in Round 1 and a RB in Round 2, but I think doing so might be a bituva mistake. We have players at each position that are raw and developing: Derek Sherrod and Alex Green. I think one thing that we've seen is TT is more often right than wrong. Addressing each area might be a waste of a pick if Sherrod and Green come through next year.

I think its similar to the situation at RDE. Everyone and the mother - including myself - was screaming for the Packers to take a DE early, and I think Jerrell Worthy has looked good so far, but now Mike Neal is healthy and the reports have been glowing.

I guess it's just my way of saying just because LT and RB are areas of concern doesn't mean there aren't options on the roster to address the situation and if we overreact, we wold be taking away from addressing other needs.

Just my thoughts...

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
I Am Rodgers wrote:
We traded MD Jennings for Julius Peppers. TT DA WHITE WIZARD
mxr124

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot.... WR, TE, C, ILB, S, & K.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxr124 wrote:
You forgot.... WR, TE, C, ILB, S, & K.

Well, ILB we have Desmond Bishop, I don't think we'd invest a high pick on the position when we still have him. K I think is a stretch as is S, and WR and TE I think stem from lack of rhythm from the opposition being able to get to us with their front four.

I really think LT and RB would fix the other problems on offense.

I Am Rodgers wrote:
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you say you are surprised that we aren't mocking LT and RB high, and then go on to say it might be a waste? So basically we should keep doing what were doing and not over react to the poor play of Newhouse and RB position. Ok, we'll keep at it.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
So you say you are surprised that we aren't mocking LT and RB high, and then go on to say it might be a waste? So basically we should keep doing what were doing and not over react to the poor play of Newhouse and RB position. Ok, we'll keep at it.

Geez bro, take the edge off.

My thoughts on the LT and RB position are more based off comments on talk radio. I'm not provoking a fight, just pointing out that I think the problem is already being addressed.

The thing about building through the draft is sometimes it takes time for the pieces to develop...

I Am Rodgers wrote:
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:

My thoughts on the LT and RB position are more based off comments on talk radio. I'm not provoking a fight, just pointing out that I think the problem is already being addressed.

The thing about building through the draft is sometimes it takes time for the pieces to develop...

It just seems like a pointless topic is all. We all know it's being addressed and that Newhouse is not the future, Sherrod (hopefully) is. Green as well. You also say it takes time for pieces to develop, but start a thread asking if we should bring Clifton back. Newhouse needs to develop too, even if its just as a swing tackle.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:

It just seems like a pointless topic is all. We all know it's being addressed and that Newhouse is not the future, Sherrod (hopefully) is. Green as well. You also say it takes time for pieces to develop, but start a thread asking if we should bring Clifton back. Newhouse needs to develop too, even if its just as a swing tackle.

A) I think Newhouse would be a better it at RT
B) I see Clifton as a stopgap, and a better one than Newhouse

I Am Rodgers wrote:
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:

A) Where does that leave Bulaga? I'd rather have Bulaga at RT than Newhouse.
B) If Clifton had any play left in him don't you think he'd be on some team?

stallyns wrote:
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:

A) I agree, I don't see Newhouse as a starter in the NFL. He's a very good backup
B) No, there are players who come off the street all the time and prove people wrong. Again, look at Tauscher. I feel better about the amount of play Clifton has in him than I did about Tausch in 2009.

I Am Rodgers wrote:
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:

A) I agree, I don't see Newhouse as a starter in the NFL. He's a very good backup
B) No, there are players who come off the street all the time and prove people wrong. Again, look at Tauscher. I feel better about the amount of play Clifton has in him than I did about Tausch in 2009.

Clifton was benched last year for Newhouse/Sherrod because he was ineffective. I think Sherrod has a better shot of coming in and taking the job from Newhouse than Cliffy.

stallyns wrote:
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:

Clifton was benched last year for Newhouse/Sherrod because he was ineffective. I think Sherrod has a better shot of coming in and taking the job from Newhouse than Cliffy.

Well, first of all, I would love it if Sherrod took the job, but I remember the sentiment of him being a 2-3 year project at LT, and I wonder if he is ready.

Secondly, Clifton it is entirely possible that Clifton was ineffective because he was banged up...much like Tauscher was in 2008.

I just see so many similarities between Tasuch in 2009 and Clifton today. I think it's possible he steps in for half a season and turns things around...

I Am Rodgers wrote:
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:

Well, first of all, I would love it if Sherrod took the job, but I remember the sentiment of him being a 2-3 year project at LT, and I wonder if he is ready.

Secondly, Clifton it is entirely possible that Clifton was ineffective because he was banged up...much like Tauscher was in 2008.

I just see so many similarities between Tasuch in 2009 and Clifton today. I think it's possible he steps in for half a season and turns things around...

I don't think Sherrod is that much of a project. I think he would be a better run blocker as soon as he is off the PUP than Newhouse is. He would also fare better vs the Peppers and longer guys because he is so big, where as Newhouse isn't. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. Just think part of it is on Rodgers for not getting the ball out and Mac for the lack of balance. Both would help our line.

stallyns wrote:
CallMeBarrett

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You expect serious forum posting, and no buttfrustration after a loss like that? C'MON, MAN.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:

I don't think Sherrod is that much of a project. I think he would be a better run blocker as soon as he is off the PUP than Newhouse is. He would also fare better vs the Peppers and longer guys because he is so big, where as Newhouse isn't. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. Just think part of it is on Rodgers for not getting the ball out and Mac for the lack of balance. Both would help our line.

What are you basing Sherrod being ready on? Here's where I am concerned, when he was draft most of the scouting reports talked about him being a several year project.

If he's come along faster than that, alright. But I haven't heard anything to make me think that.

I Am Rodgers wrote:
Kenrik

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know when Sherrod is expected to be back?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: