Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is RGIII being utilized as a Runner too often?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Is RGIII being utilized as a Runner too often? Reply with quote

I know Vick always runs/ran a lot but Vick has had injury problems. If you've watched all the Redskins games or at least 1 or 2, he takes a lot of hits. Even when they run option plays and he gives the ball, the Lineman or Linebackers still take big shots at him. I think RGIII is a tough QB. Don't get me wrong. But toughness doesn't keep you from breaking bones, getting concussions, etc.

Thoughts?
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why handcuff a guy like that? Especially while he's still really learning how to play the role of a traditional pocket passer. It's so much tougher to defend against a QB you're constantly worried about taking off and running with the ball, so while I'm certain that RG3 will eventually become a good enough passer to challenge Rodgers/Brady/Brees, the Redskins should take every opportunity to use him at maximum capacity until he does.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
Steelers22

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a fair point. If you're the coaching staff, you want to see your QB get down on his own a lot more often than RG3 has been. Only QB that I don't particularly worry about that happening to is Cam simply because hes so damn big. I'm sure the Redskins coaching staff is stressing that at every practice but at the same time, it's one of his main weapons so I wouldn't say they are running him too much but I would agree he is taking too many hits

props to dawg24
broncos67

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
Why handcuff a guy like that? Especially while he's still really learning how to play the role of a traditional pocket passer. It's so much tougher to defend against a QB you're constantly worried about taking off and running with the ball, so while I'm certain that RG3 will eventually become a good enough passer to challenge Rodgers/Brady/Brees, the Redskins should take every opportunity to use him at maximum capacity until he does.

I somewhat agree with this but they are exposing him to an absurd amount of unnecessary hits. If you're gonna run him, fine, if you're gonna frequently run the option and expose him...I'm not fine with that

Thanks, Tzimisce
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

I somewhat agree with this but they are exposing him to an absurd amount of unnecessary hits. If you're gonna run him, fine, if you're gonna frequently run the option and expose him...I'm not fine with that
This is the point I was trying to make.

He's not built like Cam or Tebow to take the pounding.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:

Disagree. Develop him as a passer now. If you watched the Skins play, RGIII has been getting hammered. The Rams really went after him when we played. Washington runs him too much, he's going to get hurt.

The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
DaRealdeal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGIII is a good enough passer to make plays in the pocket. Naked bootlegs and rollouts are fine, you don't want to completely take that out of his game, but this option stuff is punishing his body. He's not built like Cam Newton as others have said. He's going to get seriously injured if he keeps getting hit like this...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Redskin fan and seeing his games, I would say YES!!!!!!!!!! Especially our past game against the Bucs. We ran the option way too much and that IMO is what cost us the game. He is a good enough passer to run ordinary pass plays and running out of the pocket if that need be the case, but all the option plays need to slow down.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaRealdeal wrote:
RGIII is a good enough passer to make plays in the pocket. Naked bootlegs and rollouts are fine, you don't want to completely take that out of his game, but this option stuff is punishing his body. He's not built like Cam Newton as others have said. He's going to get seriously injured if he keeps getting hit like this...

Not to mention all the free shots he's taken from lineman on the zone read even after he gives the ball. I think that Kyle and Mike Shannypoo have been watching too much Ohio State and Georgia Tech games lately.
red_herring79

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you watched the Bucs game, the Shanahans mostly used him as a traditional QB. He got hit only 10 times. Guy is just a great passer. Highly accurate. There were a bunch of drops yesterday by our WR's, yet he completed >70% of his passes.
Skinsfan13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only game RG3 really got pummeled in was the game against the Bengals, and that was really a byproduct of Trent Williams getting injured on the second or third offensive play of the game for us. We brought in a guy named Jordan Black who was retired this time last season and was talked back into playing by Kyle Shanahan, and to even resume playing he had to put on 40 pounds of muscle to get back to a respectable playing weight.

Suffice to say that he got abused by legitimate NFL competition (Micahel Johnson had a career day), and it got to the point where our OC just said f it, the kids getting killed in the pocket (if you can even call what he had a pocket in that game), so let's get him on the edge where he can at least see where the danger is coming from. That's reall what spawned the triple option we ran in that game, not Kyle just wanting to turn Robert into a runner.

In the Rams game he took a few shots, but reslly only one of them was a crushing blow (the Jenkins hit), and he said the day after the game that he actually felt better than after the Saints game, a game in which he really wasn't hit that hard at all. In the Bucs game, he only had two or three planned runs iirc, and while he did get stick by Barron and took a pretty good shot by Foster, he wasn't really beat up by any means in that game.

My point is, the Bengals game was an aberration (assuming Trent stays healthy), and even though I'm of the opinion that people are a little too sensitive to the contact he gets on an every-down basis, you can already tell by the gameplan yesterday that Shanahan is in the process of weaning the offense off of excessive planned runs for RG3 (he got crushed in the media here after the Bengals game), and implied mid-week that there would be an appreciable effort to curtail the amount of shots RG3 endured.
ajdodge09

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point in his career, run him. Use his abilities to win. You'd be cheating yourself not to. Later in his career when he's broken down, then you use him as a pocket passer who will occasionally pick up first downs with his legs.
Skinsfan13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for the typos in my last post, I'm posting from Nats Park on the Blackberry. Go Nats.
broncos67

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajdodge09 wrote:
At this point in his career, run him. Use his abilities to win. You'd be cheating yourself not to. Later in his career when he's broken down, then you use him as a pocket passer who will occasionally pick up first downs with his legs.

The more he gets smacked around now, the shorter his career will be.

Thanks, Tzimisce
lionslicer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I think he's being used just enough.

The real problem is he doesn't know how to protect himself.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: