Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is RGIII being utilized as a Runner too often?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lionslicer wrote:
No, I think he's being used just enough.

The real problem is he doesn't know how to protect himself.
I guess you could call that too competitive? Laughing
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
redsoxsuck05

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has to learn how to slide or even dive. Look at his last run against the Bucs, no need to take big hit there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
Why handcuff a guy like that? Especially while he's still really learning how to play the role of a traditional pocket passer. It's so much tougher to defend against a QB you're constantly worried about taking off and running with the ball, so while I'm certain that RG3 will eventually become a good enough passer to challenge Rodgers/Brady/Brees, the Redskins should take every opportunity to use him at maximum capacity until he does.

I somewhat agree with this but they are exposing him to an absurd amount of unnecessary hits. If you're gonna run him, fine, if you're gonna frequently run the option and expose him...I'm not fine with that

This...

That option should be a once or twice a game at best. I had no problem with the gameplan from Sunday. They ran him correctly most of the time.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redsoxsuck05 wrote:
He has to learn how to slide or even dive. Look at his last run against the Bucs, no need to take big hit there.

If he slides on that play instead of picking up the extra yardage, Cundiff probably misses the GW field goal that was good by only a couple of inches.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Redskins won two games by the skin of their balls. No point in having him stay in the pocket and be healthy if they aren't going to win.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
redsoxsuck05

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
redsoxsuck05 wrote:

If he slides on that play instead of picking up the extra yardage, Cundiff probably misses the GW field goal that was good by only a couple of inches.

He was hit sideways on the play so a slide or a dive wouldn't make much of a difference. Cundiff's kick would have taken a different trajectory anyway unless you believe in predetermined outcome.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
ajdodge09 wrote:
At this point in his career, run him. Use his abilities to win. You'd be cheating yourself not to. Later in his career when he's broken down, then you use him as a pocket passer who will occasionally pick up first downs with his legs.

The more he gets smacked around now, the shorter his career will be.

hes not a RB. Where the pounding will make his career short.
Hes a qb who tends to run. He might burn out his running game but it will have no effect on his performance on passing.

Hes 22 years old use him let him run and do his thing. Hes not gonna have his youth forever. As he progresses in the nfl he will cut down on the running.
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Shanahan has mentioned this before, but many of the hits Griffin has been taking are the result of him not pitching the ball soon enough and either making a bad decision to run or simply holding on to the ball too long before making the decision to pitch. That gif posted earlier is a perfect example, he should have pitched the ball immediately because the Tampa Linebacker wasn't at a far enough outside angle to completely take away the pitch and Griffin had a guy in position to tackle him in addition to that Linebacker. But because the Running Back's outside angle wasn't literally wide open he decided not to show confidence in his back. That's a mistake on his part.

So to answer to question, in week 1 and especially week 2 I thought some of the run with Griffin were a bit foolish and weren't great plays.

The week 3 stuff against the Bengals intrigued the heck out of me. They would start Brandon Banks out as a slot receiver, with Griffin in the Pistol and a Running Back next to him but slightly behind(which is a good position both to carry the ball and run or be a lead blocker) and then motion Banks behind Griffin and basically force the defense to account for a triple option. They ran all sorts of nice plays out of this too.

In the most recent Tampa game they cut down on the amount of option plays, and as I said, on the play referenced in the gif earlier, that hit was completely unnecessary and the result of Griffin not pitching. They did run an insane play that had the same type of alignment as I described above against the Bengals with the same personnel, only they ran what looked like a toss play to the left with Banks, who ran and then passed it back to Griffin on the right, who then hit a player downfield with a pass. Mike Shanahan's trick plays seem to have always been subtle changes to the standard running back pass or the flea flicker. This is one of the most bizarre I have seen yet. The Redskins are a pretty fun team to watch this year with all the different things they're doing on offense.

Last edited by AntiSuperstar on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of times he also just gets rocked way after the ball is given on the zone read. He can't control that.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
aceinthehouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we had the Replacement refs all year, I would agree with the OP.
They were letting all kinds of crazy stuff go. Late hits, illegal hits, etc.
RG3 was getting hit big time.

Now?
He will be protected by the flag football rules, of the regular officials & NFL.
Let RG3 loose, I say...

I already saw a difference in the Bucs game, compared to the other 3.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let the man run, that's one of the main reasons he got drafted. Are you seriously going to limit something that's winning you the game?
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. The guy is on pace for 156 carries this season. For comparison's sake, Michael Vick topped out at 123. Randall Cunningham at 118. Cam Newton likely sets the bar at 128, but Newton has 30 pounds on Griffin, and I think the internet is being VERY generous on Griffin's weight if it is really listed at 217. That's not even counting sacks, as well, where Griffin is on pace for 44 there.

There's also fumbles to worry about. 5 already is pretty steep.

Every play you have him run and get hit, you're taking a risk. He could very well have a 12 year career and rarely be injured, but the more runs he gets, the less likely that becomes.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
7 catches, 130 yards
Frank-O

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaRealdeal wrote:

HOLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY SHINTO!!!! That hit was a thing of beauty!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redsoxsuck05 wrote:

Problem is w/ running this option, he takes too many clear hits.

PM sig requests.
floppyflaps

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank-O wrote:
DaRealdeal wrote:

HOLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY SHINTO!!!! That hit was a thing of beauty!

It got called for unnecessary roughness because he was driving him into the ground. It doesn't look like he did that though, he just picked up RG3 and threw him down but couldn't regain his balance, so he fell into him as well, which makes it look like he's driving his whole body into it.

Another nice hit by Barron was the hit that caused the fumble into the end zone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: