Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lowering or Getting Rid of the Cap Floor?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Basketball
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Lower or Eliminate Cap Floor?
Lower It
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Eliminate It
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Keep It The Same
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Increase It
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

Author Message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 23235
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Lowering or Getting Rid of the Cap Floor? Reply with quote

What do you guys think of getting rid, or at least lowering the cap floor?

For a while, I think Sacramento had a budget that was below the cap floor. In my eyes, it would help teams that are struggling financially to lower their expenses, but, that would, of course, come as a result of lowering the product they throw out on the floor (albeit, for the short-term).

What do you guys think?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 23235
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliminating it would be too much in my mind. Increasing it when they are trying to bring down costs and salaries is counter-intuitive as well.

Only options I see as legit are lowering it and keeping it the same. I say lower it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr. Philly


Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 35831
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The team still uses the floor money, just that it goes to bonuses
_________________


simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies


#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaguarCrazy2832


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 80548
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd keep it the same but thats just because i wasnt aware it was an issue Embarassed
_________________


Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
Yes, I went to high school with Tony Romo


Did he do good on the homework and quizzes but choke on the tests?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bkobow05


Joined: 16 Dec 2005
Posts: 40778
Location: Milwaukee, WI
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lower it so teams like the Bucks don't have to give out garbage contracts to garbage vets just to hit it. Laughing
_________________

*Props to PB87 on the RAD sig!*
#JDI
#EmbraceTheH8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigc421


Joined: 12 Feb 2008
Posts: 2370
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkobow05 wrote:
Lower it so teams like the Bucks don't have to give out garbage contracts to garbage vets just to hit it. Laughing


It's one of the worst rules in sports, for this league at least. Way to many over paid players. They need to adjust max contracts as perhaps the real problem. If bad teams could stop wasting money on bad players and there was no limit to what they could offer the guys they really want the league would be far more balanced in the long run. Teams are tanking yearly as it is so the competitive balance argument doesn't fly. Unattractive franchises really have no hope other than to draft great and hope they get good enough before everyone ultimately leaves them, it's not far off from being a minor league system for the real franchises.

Free agency would be far more entertaining for everyone involved if there wasn't some set number on what can be offered. Now it's played a is a fa, these 7 teams have the room to offer him a max contract, 5 of them suck and even though they have much more cap room than the other two they aren't allowed to offer anymore. So it's most likely that player a will sign wit one of these 2 teams leaving the other 5 to have little choice but continue to suck. If unattractive franchises had the ability to save cap space and offer more money than the all ready competitive team is capable off there would be more hope league wide. It's one thing for a guy like Bosh to take a few less million to go to a winner but what if some team was offering 10 mil more (random), he probly never ends up in Miami.

Truth is in the NBA the true elite stars should be making double or triple what good players are making.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
teamorange


Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 11538
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't lower or eliminate it. No team right now is struggling with finances and just takes away money from the players.
_________________
quietjetsket wrote:
skrILL wrote:

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 23235
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
Don't lower or eliminate it. No team right now is struggling with finances and just takes away money from the players.


Historically though, teams have struggled financially. Memphis and Sacramento very recently, my Mavs back in the day, and some teams in between.

It could take away money from players, I guess, but we already did that with the new lux tax penalties, max contracts, max extensions, and getting rid of some exceptions.

There are ways to make it work. Loosening the roster limits up might be a way to get around it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
teamorange


Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 11538
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lone star wrote:
teamorange wrote:
Don't lower or eliminate it. No team right now is struggling with finances and just takes away money from the players.


Historically though, teams have struggled financially. Memphis and Sacramento very recently, my Mavs back in the day, and some teams in between.

It could take away money from players, I guess, but we already did that with the new lux tax penalties, max contracts, max extensions, and getting rid of some exceptions.

There are ways to make it work. Loosening the roster limits up might be a way to get around it.


Historically doesn't mean the future is going that way. And I don't believe in max contracts/salary caps.
_________________
quietjetsket wrote:
skrILL wrote:

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IrishGreen


Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 34366
Location: drinking scotch with marc lasry & wes edens
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no way in hell

this would cause countless problems
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pastor Dillon


Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 7468
Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the nba players are guaranteed there share of the profits, and so there is no way they lower the floor without lowering that share
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ServantofYHWH


Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 13081
Location: Clutch City
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mavs need to change their logo and brand.
_________________

simonwayne wrote:
The problem is not many people are like me, they'll complain when it fits their agenda and completely ignore bad officiating when it doesn't
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
BlackPrestige92


Joined: 08 Nov 2011
Posts: 5661
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliminate it please. That'd be the right thing.

Lebron recently felt salty when he heard of a contract some baseball player got and I think that's wrong. This is Lebron James, the number one athlete on earth wanting more money.

He deserves it because he's a freak show. I think without a cap teams would be in fair competition in a capitalistic sense.
_________________


的f Phil Jackson came back, still no coaching me, I知 uncoachable, I知 unsociable.
-Kendrick Lamar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ServantofYHWH


Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 13081
Location: Clutch City
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackPrestige92 wrote:
Eliminate it please. That'd be the right thing.

Lebron recently felt salty when he heard of a contract some baseball player got and I think that's wrong. This is Lebron James, the number one athlete on earth wanting more money.

He deserves it because he's a freak show. I think without a cap teams would be in fair competition in a capitalistic sense.


You mean without a max salary but with a team salary cap?
_________________

simonwayne wrote:
The problem is not many people are like me, they'll complain when it fits their agenda and completely ignore bad officiating when it doesn't
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
BlackPrestige92


Joined: 08 Nov 2011
Posts: 5661
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ServantofYHWH wrote:
BlackPrestige92 wrote:
Eliminate it please. That'd be the right thing.

Lebron recently felt salty when he heard of a contract some baseball player got and I think that's wrong. This is Lebron James, the number one athlete on earth wanting more money.

He deserves it because he's a freak show. I think without a cap teams would be in fair competition in a capitalistic sense.


You mean without a max salary but with a team salary cap?

I would just eliminate the team salary cap, doesn't baseball do this too?

Tbh though, right now it's pretty solid. It doesn't need to be changed, I'm just being selfish Laughing the Lakers have TWC money to throw around lol
_________________


的f Phil Jackson came back, still no coaching me, I知 uncoachable, I知 unsociable.
-Kendrick Lamar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Basketball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group