Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Audio System Q&A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
General_Bean

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Audio System Q&A Reply with quote

Hello all my LCD Tanners,

I'm looking to buy a decent sound system for a new LCD HDMI 1080p TV I'm getting. I've been looking on sites such as best buy, newegg, and couple other mainstream sites (P.C Richards, Walmart, etc) and I'm looking to spend around 300-400$ at most on a decently good one)

My question is, I've noticed they can either sell separate speakers/receivers and they have this "Sound System in a box", is this even a good option? or should I buy the speakers then wait till next paycheck to get a receiver? It would be for the usual football sundays, gaming, and movies on Blu-ray.

Spanks
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how much time you want to spend putting this thing together (as in researching time, not installation time). Home theater in a box (HTIB) is a great option for those people that just want basic surround sound at an affordable price without having to worry about matching speakers to a receiver. Most audiophiles would prefer to piece it together. Sounds like you're in the first category.

I bought a nice HTIB a few years back for $600. Has nice sound, can be very loud if i want it to be, but is also crystal clear at lower volumes.

FYI - if i'm piecing together a system i'm buying the receiver first. That way i can get the features i want and not have to worry about having speakers that don't pair correctly with my receiver. The receiver is the most important part anyways.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
General_Bean

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Depends on how much time you want to spend putting this thing together (as in researching time, not installation time). Home theater in a box (HTIB) is a great option for those people that just want basic surround sound at an affordable price without having to worry about matching speakers to a receiver. Most audiophiles would prefer to piece it together. Sounds like you're in the first category.

I bought a nice HTIB a few years back for $600. Has nice sound, can be very loud if i want it to be, but is also crystal clear at lower volumes.

FYI - if i'm piecing together a system i'm buying the receiver first. That way i can get the features i want and not have to worry about having speakers that don't pair correctly with my receiver. The receiver is the most important part anyways.

Thanks for the input, yea I would agree with the HTIB position as I may just would rather get it all there, plug and play and have sound. I've seen some cheaper models for around 100-300$ that seem decent. Just dont want to invest in a lousy system
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get pretty good HTIBs in the $300 range. Amazon has an Onkyo for $268, and I've never heard an Onkyo system that sounded bad.

The one thing you need to make sure you have is enough inputs for all of the gear you want to run through it. Not all of the HTIB have a lot of inputs, and you run into problems down the line. I currently have an optical switch box connected to mine.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

General_Bean wrote:
theJ wrote:

Thanks for the input, yea I would agree with the HTIB position as I may just would rather get it all there, plug and play and have sound. I've seen some cheaper models for around 100-300$ that seem decent. Just dont want to invest in a lousy system

If the application is for theatre then don't spend a great deal of money.

The main requirement for T.V. Audio is simply the separation of sound. It's not like music applications.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd probably have to spend around $1000 to get something good. You can spend a few hundred on a set, but it's not really that great.

My advice is save up and get something good. The best speakers and subs are not sold in stores, you have to buy them online. A good receiver will also make all the difference in the world, especially if you got a lot of stuff hooked up to it. theJ is totally right about getting a receiver 1st. I see a lot of really good receivers marked down by several hundred every now and then, and you can get a really solid mid range receiver for about $300.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also want to add that buying a sound system is unlikely buying any other technology. Pretty much everything like TVs, computers, phones, game systems, Bluray players, get outdated sometimes as soon as you buy them. This is not the case with audio. The actual quality of the sound is not always improved with newer releases. You will find that many brands sell the same speakers for many years.

That is why I recommend saving and getting something really good, because you are making an investment for the life of the equipment, you will not need to upgrade unless you simply want to get something even more upper scale.

This does not apply to receivers though, just speakers and subs.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
theJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
I also want to add that buying a sound system is unlikely buying any other technology. Pretty much everything like TVs, computers, phones, game systems, Bluray players, get outdated sometimes as soon as you buy them. This is not the case with audio. The actual quality of the sound is not always improved with newer releases. You will find that many brands sell the same speakers for many years.

That is why I recommend saving and getting something really good, because you are making an investment for the life of the equipment, you will not need to upgrade unless you simply want to get something even more upper scale.

This does not apply to receivers though, just speakers and subs.

With the exception of new technology like HDMI ports and 3D (my receiver does not have HDMI decoding technology or 3D), this is correct. Man, do i wish i had that ability sometimes. I probably have 2x as many cables as i need to work around this lack of functionality.

Last edited by theJ on Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
theJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will add: Mossburg is kind of right. If you save up and buy a really nice set, you'll own it for 15-20 years or however long it takes to die. If you buy a cheap one, you may end up replacing it within the next 5 years because it doesn't have the functionality you want (read; not enough inputs) or you want something with more kick/nicer sound/etc. Most of the $300 sets won't have many inputs, so if you have to hook up the TV, xbox, cable box, iPod, etc, you'll run out inputs and find yourself behind the receiver every other night switching cables around.

However, if you buy something in the $300 range, it'll certainly do. diehardlionfan is right in that cheaper systems do well enough at just creating surround sound that you probably won't tell the difference.

Take that for what it's worth. It all really depends on what you want out of this thing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: