Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Could the Saints end up drafting Barkley and shipping Brees?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x0x

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Could the Saints end up drafting Barkley and shipping Brees? Reply with quote

Hear me out.

The Saints remaining schedule ain't roses, and the offense won't be able to maintain every week to make up for the defense, and of course they have yet to win a game.

Brees will be 34 next year and being on pace for having 5 of the Top 10 single season attempts isn't a testament to youth when you think about his arm.

And are the Saints getting any younger?

I'd consider the possibility.

Brees would of course be tremendous trade value and with the NFL the way it is, the Saints could re-emerge as contenders in 1-2 years.
candyman93

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually thought about this after the Green Bay game. He is 34 and its noe completely crazy.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take the odds that Brees carries the Saints to the super Bowl (again) in the next 3 years over the odds that Barkely does it at any point in his career.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I believe the Saints offense has enough to talent to win a few games. They will figure out there identity. They should be a bottom 10 team, but i dont see them getting that top 5 pick for a premier QB prospect. The only reason the Colts considered moving on from Manning is that they landed the first overall pick and were able to grab what most considered a once in a decade prospect in Luck. There simply isnt a QB prospect that good this year and the Saints wont be the worst team in football.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Brees suffers a devastating neck injury, requiring 4 surgeries and its unclear as to whether or not he'll ever be Drew Brees again, sure why not.

IOW, NO!

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Saints end up with the #1 pick, they'll take the best available defensive player. I don't think there's any arguing this.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler
dante9876

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont see the Saints getting a top pick. If they get into the top 5 they better take the best pass rusher on the board.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
If the Brees suffers a devastating neck injury, requiring 4 surgeries and its unclear as to whether or not he'll ever be Drew Brees again, sure why not.

IOW, NO!

Agreed....

Ridiculous thought. Saints will bounce back and draft way too high.... maybe take him if he lasts to 15 or higher as Brees eventual backup. Chase Daniel is no NFL starter.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
BlaqOptic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I would have said no way in hell... After what happened to Peyton Manning... Yeah.

#FireTomlin #FireHaley #FireLeBeau #FireColbert
titwio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who thinks Matt Barkley is way overrated? His arm is not that great, he's not an elite size QB, and he has arguably the best WR duo in college football which makes him look better than he really is.

I don't think he's horrible or anything but the guy doesn't win the big games and that's kind of a significant quality I want to see from a top prospect.
Raves

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Saints for some reason end up with the #1 pick they have a few ways they can go, the first being taking the top defensive player on the board, likely a guy like Werner, and trying to have him be the spark they need to get the defense over the top. Another option is to trade the #1 pick for a kings ransom, say to a team like the Raiders that are in need of a true franchise QB, and be able to get several defensive players that they need. The last option, which I've thought about myself, is draft Barkley, let him sit for a year learn the offense, see if Brees can carry the team to another Super Bowl as well as making his cap hit more acceptable, then move him for numerous 1st round picks to a contender and start rebuilding the entire team.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
Steelerspower

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, because it would be very stupid....especially that Barkley is very overrated

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one would trade for his contract and he's still great, the surrounding team just sucks. If they get a high pick, they need a Montgomery, Mingo, Hankins, Lotuleilei player, not an overrated QB playing in a perfect situation.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even sure they'll pick in top 10, but if they do I think they'll go for one of the many DE's.

Hammertime52 wrote:
I laughed way too hard at this Laughing they talked about the Dane like Robert Downey Jr talked about The Hulk in The Avengers

"We have the Dallas forum"
"We have a Dane"
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titwio wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks Matt Barkley is way overrated? His arm is not that great, he's not an elite size QB, and he has arguably the best WR duo in college football which makes him look better than he really is.

I don't think he's horrible or anything but the guy doesn't win the big games and that's kind of a significant quality I want to see from a top prospect.

I dont think he is overrated, in the sense that he is probably the best QB in his class and probably more positioned to be an opening day starter. However, compared to prospects like Luck, Newton, RGIII, yes, I think Barkley would be overrated. That is the issue, I dont think Barkley is special enough for the Saints to even consider dumping Brees, like the colts dumped Manning. Luck was just that good of a prospect where the dropoff would probably be minimal from Luck to Manning in terms of team success, and Luck obviously has the benefit of being a long-term fixture.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: