Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Could the Saints end up drafting Barkley and shipping Brees?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#1CARDSFAN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. This was on my mind actually. I think Barkley could drop a few spots into the saints lap and with Brees contract problems I could see the saints moving on.
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barkley won't be going #1 so maybe...

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
titwio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Barkley won't be going #1 so maybe...

Yep that slot belongs to Geno Smith...who I'd take in a heartbeat over Barkley.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dante9876 wrote:
Dont see the Saints getting a top pick. If they get into the top 5 they better take the best pass rusher on the board.

I agree with this. They clearly lack pass rush.

Plus, there does seem to be alot of talent at QB this year. Matt Barkley ain't no Andrew Luck, but N.O could find a real replacement for Brees in round 2.

Of course, this means they have to trade, considering they are already forfeiting their 2nd this year.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-I don't think the Saints will have the #1 pick. In fact I think they'' have a pick in the 6-15 range.

-If they have the #1 pick they probably wouldn't take Barkley. Not only has his stock declined slightly (to high to begin with), but Geno is soaring and he's looking like the #1 pick. Or Logan Thomas if he can get his head straight but I don't anticipate this.

-Don't think Saints would trade Brees. Honestly they'd probably get more for a #1 overall than Brees.

~Bird Watch 2014 | Mark "The Sanchize" Sanchez~
202 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, 89.6 Passer Rating
Ataal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't see it. Brees is averaging 337.5 yards per game, 7.1 per attempt, and has has 11 touchdowns(one rushing) already. You have any idea how many teams would love to have those stats in week 4 for their QB? And, they've lost all those games!

I just don't see him regressing in the near future, so why give up on him right now? Yes, he would be great trade value for some defensive talent, but what are the chances you get an elite quarterback? Slim to none? Even a consistent game manager is pretty tough to find. And, how much would the defense be improved really? This just spells a bad to mediocre team for quite a while.

Sean comes back next season, they pick up some defensive talent in the draft, and they're right back in the playoffs for a couple years at least.
Pats#1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Could the Saints end up drafting Barkley and shipping Br Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
Hear me out.

The Saints remaining schedule ain't roses, and the offense won't be able to maintain every week to make up for the defense, and of course they have yet to win a game.

Brees will be 34 next year and being on pace for having 5 of the Top 10 single season attempts isn't a testament to youth when you think about his arm.

And are the Saints getting any younger?

I'd consider the possibility.

Brees would of course be tremendous trade value and with the NFL the way it is, the Saints could re-emerge as contenders in 1-2 years.

Not with that RIDICULOUS amount of guaranteed money. What is it...$60 million or something?

No team is gonna bite that bullet with a QB that age, at least I don't think. Confused

Stops...thinks about Denver and Peyton...face palms himself Embarassed

Sig credit: Deadpulse
RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Could the Saints end up drafting Barkley and shipping Br Reply with quote

Pats#1 wrote:
x0x wrote:
Hear me out.

The Saints remaining schedule ain't roses, and the offense won't be able to maintain every week to make up for the defense, and of course they have yet to win a game.

Brees will be 34 next year and being on pace for having 5 of the Top 10 single season attempts isn't a testament to youth when you think about his arm.

Brees would of course be tremendous trade value and with the NFL the way it is, the Saints could re-emerge as contenders in 1-2 years.

Not with that RIDICULOUS amount of guaranteed money. What is it...$60 million or something?

No team is gonna bite that bullet with a QB that age, at least I don't think. Confused

I'm probably wrong here but I'm pretty sure it was $40 million, and the Saints already paid it as it was 30-something million in signing bonus, and the rest of the guaranteed money was in his base salary this year. So essentially if the Saints cut him here they lose $7 million in dead money per season until 2017 because the bonus will likely be prorated. So if Brees was traded to a team, that team would only be responsible for his base salaries which start at $10 million for 2013 and rise all the way to $20 million in 2016, his final year.

~Bird Watch 2014 | Mark "The Sanchize" Sanchez~
202 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, 89.6 Passer Rating

Last edited by RandyMossIsBoss on Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Cryptkeeper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This won't happen. Brees is elite and doesn't show any sign of slowing down. It's more likely they use that pick on a premier WR or trade down for more. Anything but ship Brees, really.
Blink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think its a realistic option, but I would.

Brees isn't going to be around for too much longer. His contract makes it hard to go win now mode, can't go on a giant spending spree with so much of the cap going to one player.

Barkley would majorly benefit from sitting behind Brees, but that's an insane cap number dedicated to QB. Can't release Brees because it would destroy the cap situation.

Most likely no one will trade for him with his current contract, and he has no reason to take less money to play elsewhere. If someone is willing to take the huge cap hit, they're surely not trading a kings ransom on top of it.

The Saints are in a very interesting point right now. If they play their cards right and stay patient, they could be a great team again very soon. On the other hand though, one or two missteps could set them back for a long time.
Harper41

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? This team is still a championship contender with Payton at HC, why would we close our own window by trading Brees? If this team ends up with a top 10 pick we're going to take a DE, the only thing holding our defense back is ANY sort of pass rush and possibly replacing the bum that is Malcolm Jenkins.

RTR
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Harper41

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention Brees has never had elite arm strength, he's always relied on IQ and accuracy, those tend to be the last thing a QB loses.

RTR
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Could the Saints end up drafting Barkley and shipping Br Reply with quote

RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
Pats#1 wrote:
x0x wrote:
Hear me out.

I'm probably wrong here but I'm pretty sure it was $40 million, and the Saints already paid it as it was 30-something million in signing bonus, and the rest of the guaranteed money was in his base salary this year. So essentially if the Saints cut him here they lose $7 million in dead money per season until 2017 because the bonus will likely be prorated. So if Brees was traded to a team, that team would only be responsible for his base salaries which start at $10 million for 2013 and rise all the way to $20 million in 2016, his final year.
That's not the way it works, the signing bonus is prorated as long as the player is still there playing, if they traded brees, it would mean a $25M cap hit next year. No way in hell that's happening.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Raves

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Could the Saints end up drafting Barkley and shipping Br Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
Pats#1 wrote:
x0x wrote:
Hear me out.

That's not the way it works, the signing bonus is prorated as long as the player is still there playing, if they traded brees, it would mean a $25M cap hit next year. No way in hell that's happening.

Which if they do decide to trade Brees after drafting a QB, Barkley, Smith, Bray, or otherwise, it would be after having said QB sit for a year and help minimize the cap hit of a trade.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
Nzd07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. 0 percent chance this happens. You never, ever trade an elite QB, unless you want to rebuild. And I'm guessing the Saints don't do that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: