Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Could the Saints end up drafting Barkley and shipping Brees?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Could the Saints end up drafting Barkley and shipping Br Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
Pats#1 wrote:
x0x wrote:
Hear me out.

The Saints remaining schedule ain't roses, and the offense won't be able to maintain every week to make up for the defense, and of course they have yet to win a game.

Brees will be 34 next year and being on pace for having 5 of the Top 10 single season attempts isn't a testament to youth when you think about his arm.

And are the Saints getting any younger?

I'd consider the possibility.

Brees would of course be tremendous trade value and with the NFL the way it is, the Saints could re-emerge as contenders in 1-2 years.

Not with that RIDICULOUS amount of guaranteed money. What is it...$60 million or something?

No team is gonna bite that bullet with a QB that age, at least I don't think. Confused

I'm probably wrong here but I'm pretty sure it was $40 million, and the Saints already paid it as it was 30-something million in signing bonus, and the rest of the guaranteed money was in his base salary this year. So essentially if the Saints cut him here they lose $7 million in dead money per season until 2017 because the bonus will likely be prorated. So if Brees was traded to a team, that team would only be responsible for his base salaries which start at $10 million for 2013 and rise all the way to $20 million in 2016, his final year.
That's not the way it works, the signing bonus is prorated as long as the player is still there playing, if they traded brees, it would mean a $25M cap hit next year. No way in hell that's happening.

In that case yeah there was absolutely no chance they get rid of Brees. They probably can't even afford to, plus I highly doubt they would want to.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Barkley is not that good. This is as silly as saying why not trade Brees for Kyle Orton...

Orlovsky has too much experience here. Manziel doesn't stand a chance.
green24

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Matt Barkley is not that good. This is as silly as saying why not trade Brees for Kyle Orton...

To me Barkley is just like the other USC QBs to come out this decade (Palmer, Cassel, Leinart, Sanchez). Three of those four were top 5 picks.

#TeamManfred
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Saints end up with a pick that high they will either trade it away to the highest bidder, or draft the best defensive player available.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brees is not the problem with the Saints is. Defense is. A top tier DE would do wonders for our defense and if we have a high pick thats where we are going.

Adopt-A-Saint 2014
WR Kenny Stills 0 cat 0 yds 0 TD
S Rafael Bush 0 tak 0 INT 0 PD 0 FF
Pookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEFENSE!!!!! PLEASE GOD!!! LET IT BE DEFENSE!!!!!
Sciz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming I did my math right, it'd cost the Saints $12.2M more to trade Brees than to keep him. He'll have a cap hit of $17.4M next year, but would count $29.6M against the cap if traded.
NYGFan101

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Saints end up with the #1 pick, Brees should never be called an elite QB again.

Better yet, even in the top 5.

A team with Brady, Rodgers, Peyton, or Eli, would never be in position to draft that high.
roysmyboy31

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brees is still an elite QB in my mind and trading him away for an unproven commodity who may or may not even be good (let alone at Brees' level) is not a wise gamble to make. I think the Saints will get back on track anyway and not even sniff the top pick. And Sean Payton is back next year.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGFan101 wrote:
If the Saints end up with the #1 pick, Brees should never be called an elite QB again.

A team with Brady, Rodgers, Peyton, or Eli, would never be in position to draft that high.

Exactly. Eli >>>> Brees
BrownsDynasty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGFan101 wrote:

None of those players have ever had to deal with something like Bountygate.

Props to Beef80 on the sig
scrimmage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't see it happening.

I don't follow college football so I can't judge Matt Barkley, but barring any devastating injury or severe regression, Brees is the Saints quarterback until he retires.
101stSaintsFan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
NYGFan101 wrote:

Exactly. Eli >>>> Brees

You're funny. I didn't know Brees played both defense and offense. He can be elite and still lose. Just because our defense can't stop wet tissue paper doesn't make Drew any less of a QB. Brees performs and puts points and yards up at elite levels with LESS to work with on offense and defense than ANY of those QBs...well maybe not NY. But then again, we don't have near the defense the giants do.

2014 Adopt a Saint:

Khiry Robinson

Keenan Lewis
Chiefer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Saints had the top pick hypothetically, if I were them I'd sell it for a king's ransom.

Imagine the Saints, Payton, Brees, with multiple top picks for several years? Shocked

It just wouldn't be fair, and it would help them reload for a future without Brees.
101stSaintsFan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefer wrote:
If the Saints had the top pick hypothetically, if I were them I'd sell it for a king's ransom.

Imagine the Saints, Payton, Brees, with multiple top picks for several years? Shocked

It just wouldn't be fair, and it would help them reload for a future without Brees.

We are horrible drafting in the first round...absolutely terrible.

2014 Adopt a Saint:

Khiry Robinson

Keenan Lewis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: