Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Could the Saints end up drafting Barkley and shipping Brees?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
That doesn't make any sense. The Saints are still a championship team, especially if we could get a stud DE at the top of round 1. This teams only glaring weakness is the lack of pass rush. If we can add a top tier DE it would do incredible things for our defense, especially when Spags entire scheme is based off the front 4 getting pressure.

I could see Barkevious Mingo or Sam Montgomery really shoring up that pass rush. Both are undersized, but lightning fast guys off the edge, able to disengage a split second after the snap and make a beeline to the QB. Mingo is built like a 3-4 OLB, but I could see him as a taller Dwight Freeney, just an attacker with a wide variety of moves. Montgomery is the bigger of the two, more of a natural 4-3 DE...and from what I have seen, he lacks the explosiveness of Mingo, but is disruptive in his own right.

No matter where the Saints select in the draft, I see a DE as the position of choice. There are a handful of names out there that can be had at various points in the draft (Mingo in the 5-10 range, Montgomery in the 10-15 range, UTs Jackson Jeffcoat in the 10-15 range, UTs Alex Okafor in the 15-20 range) that can be had, guys who would be instant impact players for this D.

Talking a QB in the top 32 is downright insane for the Saints, given that Brees still has several good years of football in him. Maybe a project QB in the early 2nd - Landry Jones or Jordan Rodgers? Let 'em sit for 2-3 years to get a full evaluation on whether or not they can take over where Brees left off. If so, let 'em. If not, you have another draft where you can take a crack at it.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if they plan on doing something similar to what Green Bay did when they drafted Rodgers.

You don't take a team that finished with the #1 pick and ship out your best player, who is also probably going to be a historical great, and replace him with a rookie, especially at a position as complex as QB.

That being said, if they finish that poorly, it'll be because of defense. I'd expect them to go defense with that pick, or ship it out to someone who's trying to grab their franchise QB.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
...or ship it out to someone who's trying to grab their franchise QB.

THAT is something that makes a lot of sense; Let's not forget that we're less than a year removed from this team being one of the best teams in the NFL. They haven't lost a bit of that talent (save for Robert Meachem, who is proving to be a bit of a bust in San Diego). They lost a key part of this, and that is the head coach. For all intensive purposes, they get him back, and should be back in the driver seat in short time.

The minute St. Louis auctioned off Robert Griffin III for the slew of picks they got, everyone lauded Jeff Fisher for the move, and slated the Rams to be a contender in due time, with all of the picks they'll be getting over the next three years. If the Saints are in position to grab Barkley, they'd be best served going the Rams route - getting as many selections as they can out of it, finding players to fill into that defense of theirs, and having a stockpile of selections to use afterwards in later drafts.

In essence, trading out of the pick and getting enough high round selections to find 3-4-5 impact players on the defense would turn New Orleans into a mini-powerhouse. They're not a bad team, just a team in unfamiliar territory without their main coaches to guide the ship. That's coming back next year, along with high round picks they can double down on to find ways to fill the gaps in the defense.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Harper41

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see us land a top 5 pick and then pull in a haul for it like the Rams did last year. That would be ideal.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering Barkley isn't even the best Quarterbacking option to go first overall....trade out and get more picks.

#JDI
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Barkley is not going #1.

And even if the Saints finish #1 in the draft, they aren't taking his replacement right away. I think they'd rather draft defense that high (or trade back), then take a QB early second IF necessary.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
Harper41

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we'll take a QB before the 3rd, Sean Payton has always been behind Chase Daniels and I think they'll keep him around for another year or two before we draft Brees replacement.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you pay one of the top 2 or 3 QBs in the league as such, then trade him away for an unproven rookie?

Cap hit would be ridiculous, as is any notion of letting go of a top 2 or 3 player of the position. Indy, it was different there - no one knew if Manning would make it back with success from his 3 neck surgeries, and it's a rare thing to have your pick of the QBs in a deep class. New Orleans, whether they get 1st overall pick or not, you know Brees will be back again next year playing just as well as ever. He didn't suddenly become mediocre - his team and his coaching staff, frankly, suck.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
argmanarg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Falcons Fan I really think this is the best option for the Saints. Twisted Evil

^^
thanks Arem20
tom cody

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see New Orleans shipping their top 5 pick (Should they have 1) out as well. Being that they're a team that doesn't finish at the bottom that much they can ship that pick out and get a king's ransom in return to plug any holes they have.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant they just trade the pick for a kings ransom like STL got?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

NO!

The rams were put in a bidding war..

Clev and Wash..

Both starving for a QB. The saint's will most likely pass on
an QB in this draft.

BBL

mozwanted wrote:
I'm beginning to like the rg3 trade
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

NO!

...remind me what is gonna stop Buffao, NY Jets and Kansas City from getting into a similar bidding war? There are still teams that need a QB, you know.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
flash22

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
El ramster wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

NO!

...remind me what is gonna stop Buffao, NY Jets and Kansas City from getting into a similar bidding war? There are still teams that need a QB, you know.

Lack of elite QB prospects.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleveland and Washington had no QB options, both teams had to make that deal for RGIII. However, the Saints have Brees and Brees is clearly a QB that they can still feel good about. If Brees was the weak link, i would agree but as of now, Brees is still playing pretty good football. It seems the Saints trouble stem more due to the defense and some of the protection for Brees at LT.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: