Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offensive line run blocking
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raidin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcons video is up
https://vimeo.com/52008455

Half way through it I thought I was watching Free Willy 4: Beached whale starring Cooper Carisle and Stefan Wizneiski with the amount of time both of them spend on the ground.
G

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YUCK!!!
I couldn't keep watching and if were keeping this ZBS, then I'd see what we can get for Wiz and JV. Two young talented power players last year that should have some value.
Personally I'd rather get rid of the ZBS but I doubt that happens. So draft a bunch of ZBS types and steal a FA or 3 from other ZBS teams.
Raidin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
YUCK!!!
I couldn't keep watching and if were keeping this ZBS, then I'd see what we can get for Wiz and JV. Two young talented power players last year that should have some value.
Personally I'd rather get rid of the ZBS but I doubt that happens. So draft a bunch of ZBS types and steal a FA or 3 from other ZBS teams.

Wiz problem seems to be the switch to centre. He's just getting man handled by the bigger tackles unless he's getting help.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidin wrote:
G wrote:
YUCK!!!

Wiz problem seems to be the switch to centre. He's just getting man handled by the bigger tackles unless he's getting help.

wiz was ok at center last year. this zbs i killing our o-line. i dont understand why we dont switch it up and go pbs sometimes as well as zbs.

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Raidin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:
Raidin wrote:
G wrote:
YUCK!!!

wiz was ok at center last year. this zbs i killing our o-line. i dont understand why we dont switch it up and go pbs sometimes as well as zbs.

Must look at those game. Not sure running two systems would be very wise, especially when this guys haven't even mastered ZBS, sounds like it would just confuse them to much. Wiz isn't struggling with the Zone blocking part of the scheme. He isn't asked to get to the second level and quickly move his feet. Once the ball is snapped he is being engaged and getting destroyed, not sure how the PBS would help him there.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidin wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
Raidin wrote:
G wrote:
YUCK!!!

Must look at those game. Not sure running two systems would be very wise, especially when this guys haven't even mastered ZBS, sounds like it would just confuse them to much. Wiz isn't struggling with the Zone blocking part of the scheme. He isn't asked to get to the second level and quickly move his feet. Once the ball is snapped he is being engaged and getting destroyed, not sure how the PBS would help him there.

imo wiz/ most of our o-line are more of a mauler types and excels at getting their hands on the guys infront of them and controlling them. in zbs what i see are guys flowing down the line blocking people to the left or right of them not the guy right in front of them. defenders get their hands on the o-line first and push them into the backfield. as a ex o-lineman the main advantage you have is knowing the snap count. if you can get out of your stance and get your hands on the defender before he gets his hands on you then your good. its like the o-line's train of thought now is

1)snap 2)think 3)move to your spot 4)block
-usually by #2 dmac is getting hit

instead of

1)call your man out 2) snap 3)block

when dmac gets the rock and doesnt see a hole imo he panics and just ducks and tried to get a yard or two. he is used to getting the rock and seeing a whole created by a good o-line block. then he hits the hole and magic happens.

ps: also it doesnt seem like the o-line communicates pre snap as much as they did last year

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Raidin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:
Raidin wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
Raidin wrote:
G wrote:
YUCK!!!

imo wiz/ most of our o-line are more of a mauler types and excels at getting their hands on the guys infront of them and controlling them. in zbs what i see are guys flowing down the line blocking people to the left or right of them not the guy right in front of them. defenders get their hands on the o-line first and push them into the backfield. as a ex o-lineman the main advantage you have is knowing the snap count. if you can get out of your stance and get your hands on the defender before he gets his hands on you then your good. its like the o-line's train of thought now is

1)snap 2)think 3)move to your spot 4)block
-usually by #2 dmac is getting hit

instead of

1)call your man out 2) snap 3)block

when dmac gets the rock and doesnt see a hole imo he panics and just ducks and tried to get a yard or two. he is used to getting the rock and seeing a whole created by a good o-line block. then he hits the hole and magic happens.

ps: also it doesnt seem like the o-line communicates pre snap as much as they did last year

But that's my point, Wiz doesn't have to worry about flowing down the line the majority of time at centre, he'll also have to engage a blocker right from the snap an when that happen he's been getting hammered.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some other video i should be looking at? Wiz gets beat maybe 4 times in this. He's opening the hole for at least 2 "big runs". He's getting to the second level on a fair amount of plays as well.
He's badly beaten on the fumble play though.

I can't be the only one seeing Mcfadden miss some opportunities out there. See the run at 5:05. There's a hole right in front of you dmac. At worst, the LB makes a one arm tackle and he gains a couple, instead he cuts to the outside and lose yardage.
Raidin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Is there some other video i should be looking at? Wiz gets beat maybe 4 times in this. He's opening the hole for at least 2 "big runs". He's getting to the second level on a fair amount of plays as well.

I can't be the only one seeing Mcfadden miss some opportunities out there. See the run at 5:05. There's a hole right in front of you dmac. At worst, the LB makes a one arm tackle and he gains a couple, instead he cuts to the outside and lose yardage.

I would have thought 4 would be pretty bad, especially when he gets badly beaten on some of them. Also a couple of others were he misses blocks but other people do on the play as well. There are definitely holes there and also a good few plays were we are a block off from a big run which is frustrating. Seems almost impossible for all blockers to do a job at the same time on one play, that's all it would take. At 4:01 Branden Myers just has to break off and move down to the LB and there is an ocean of space for DMAC to run into.

At this stage I'm not sure our Oline is performing much worse then last year.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidin wrote:

I'm not quite sure either. Dmac seems so out of his element that i'd be willing to put a lot of the blame on his shoulders. I'd be interested to watch the Jags video though. From watching the Falcons broadcast, i had noticed there were holes to exploit. Not sure there were any this week.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidin wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

I would have thought 4 would be pretty bad, especially when he gets badly beaten on some of them. Also a couple of others were he misses blocks but other people do on the play as well. There are definitely holes there and also a good few plays were we are a block off from a big run which is frustrating. Seems almost impossible for all blockers to do a job at the same time on one play, that's all it would take. At 4:01 Branden Myers just has to break off and move down to the LB and there is an ocean of space for DMAC to run into.

I don't know, 4 times in a game is alright I guess. I mean, that's on screw up per quarter. I'll take that from a 2nd year player who changed positions and is learning a new system with new linemates on both sides. I'm not saying he shouldn't improve, but I can live with that for right now. He does need to get better though. When you look at other guys like Coop, Brisiel, and Big Willy Turnstile though, you know he's not the worst on the line. Give him time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidin wrote:
Falcons video is up
https://vimeo.com/52008455

Half way through it I thought I was watching Free Willy 4: Beached whale starring Cooper Carisle and Stefan Wizneiski with the amount of time both of them spend on the ground.

Did you make this video? If so, good job.

There was about 3 or 4 runs where I think McFadden could have done a better job making a different cut, but he does a good job taking what's there on his other runs. Seems like the offensive line is missing blocks on potential big plays. Sad thing is that the Falcons have the worst run D we've faced. Sad
Professor Oak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:

You're not, but other than a few plays vs Atlanta, he has pretty much had to do everything himself this season.

Sure we can nitpick a few plays from each game where he could have hit the hole, but the fact of the matter is this OL is not executing correctly or creating more holes on a consistent basis. I feel McFadden has become the scapegoat for that, and he doesn't deserve it.
BlackPrestige92

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not like we can use the "Oh we're facing run stuffing teams" excuse either...That one highlight run DMC had vs Pitt was because Mundy got shook out of his cleats, and show me if I'm wrong but outside of the run in mile High where he shook DJ William as he's score on a 63 yard TD, DMC hasn't been one to shake dudes like that. Had that been Polamalu DMC's legs would have been taken out.
Allen has said the cliche "A block here or there and a big run happens" which anyone can say! This couldn't be a worse situation for DMC. He's healthy and trying so hard, but the ZBS experiment has failed miserably thus far. This time last year we were crowning him, now it's a 360. DMC is a beast, but he's in a BAD situation.

If Phil Jackson came back, still no coaching me, Im uncoachable, Im unsociable.
-Kendrick Lamar
Chali21

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackPrestige92 wrote:
It's not like we can use the "Oh we're facing run stuffing teams" excuse either...That one highlight run DMC had vs Pitt was because Mundy got shook out of his cleats, and show me if I'm wrong but outside of the run in mile High where he shook DJ William as he's score on a 63 yard TD, DMC hasn't been one to shake dudes like that. Had that been Polamalu DMC's legs would have been taken out.
Allen has said the cliche "A block here or there and a big run happens" which anyone can say! This couldn't be a worse situation for DMC. He's healthy and trying so hard, but the ZBS experiment has failed miserably thus far. This time last year we were crowning him, now it's a 360. DMC is a beast, but he's in a BAD situation.

Then, we should trade him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: