Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What coaching job is more defined by victories?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x0x

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: What coaching job is more defined by victories? Reply with quote

LEAVE PRO LEAGUES OUT OF IT!

This is for us regular coaches (paid or not).

I'm currently coaching a girl's senior basketball team for HS. First time coaching a basketball team in several years.

We're currently 2-0, which is great but it got me wondering on how wins are judged depending on which sport you coach.

In football, you have ONE WEEK, ONE WHOLE WEEK...lol, and only get about a dozen games in most leagues.

Out basketball season is 14 games and we get one about every week. But it's basketball and I think we get judged on what players we recruit and how we use them rather than game management.

My team is pretty stacked I'll admit, but we do employ game strategy, regardless of how big we're winning we maintain it. One girl on the team scored 4 points first game and went for 22 this game. So I got a thumbs up for improving performance by working on her shooting but I wonder if I'd get credit if we were 0-2.

I don't know, I guess I think football because there's less games, no matter how you get the win, it's a win and any loss is a bad loss.
Kiltman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football for sure

I coach middle school & high school lacrosse, it's not so much overall record as it is where you finish in the playoffs for HS. The season is kinda a failure if we don't at least get to through a couple games in districts...if we miss out on states basically. We are one of the two juggernauts in the area so leagues only matter in the championship game but both teams always make it to districts anyway. We play a good amount of teams in Maryland and the Philly private schools which are at a higher level generally so it's more us looking good against them then actually winning...but we've beat them more then our fair share of times. The Maryland teams don't count towards anything besides stats...so basically a exhibition.

For middle school, which is my main focus, record doesn't really matter. We generally crush every team in the area so it's more about playing correctly. Usually the only big thing is if we beat our rival the three times we play them. If we can get a victory when we go down to Maryland that's a cherry on top of the season...but those kids are recruited so its not a regular occurance...basically the kids who will in 5/6 years be going to Virginia, Duke, etc. Recently we've had a year end tourney that are the defacto playoffs so winning that is big. But really our main focus is to get the kids fundamentally sound so they are ready to go when they move up to HS.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: