Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders need draft Geno Smith, Bray, Or Matt Barkley next.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chali21

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrashMan510 wrote:
there are only 2 franchise qb's in this draft. Barkley and Geno. Never bought the Logan Thomas/Tyler Wilson/Tyler Bray hype.

What happened to Landry Jones? I thought this next draft it was going to be a battle between him and Barkley.
91jmay

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totty wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Totty wrote:
I made the thread about the QBOTF a few meeks ago becuase I had a feeling Reggie, and rightfully so, will be lookin to select his guy at QB with help from the staff. Carson is as good as gone imo. He costs too much, doesnt fit the system, and is simply not Reggies guy. The WC system requires a very specific QB to run it. I feel like Geno Smith would be a mistake becuase he comes from the Holgerson offense which is a product od Ok. St. That is a very QB friendly offense. That being said, Smith is running it perfectly right now, I just dont see him translating in the NFL.

I disagree. You can look at his arm and ability to make all the throws as positives for an NFL QB. He can fit the ball in a tight window with accuracy.

He's had count 'em, 28 incomplete passes through 4 games. That's damn impressive.

Again, we will see where that goes when he faces stouter defenses. Right now, he looks to have a pro ready arm. Athletic ability and above all else work ethic. The guy is a football junkie. That is invaluable.

+1

Dedication is very important for a QB, you know he will always strive to be better and wont settle.

As for WV's offense, its actually a variation of the Texas tech offense, which is scary considering that Texas tech has produced some of the greatest single-season's by a QB in college football history, yet none of them ever made it in the NFL. However, most college spread offenses use a lot of shorter routes. For example, when Michael Crabtree was at Texas Tech, the biggest knock on him was the fact that he never ran a full route tree. The variation that they use at WV incorporates more of a vertical passing game than that of Texas Tech. It gives Smith a chance to make throws that a lot of spread QBs never make in college.

What I like best about Geno Smith, is that he is already good on accuracy, footwork, and mechanics. If we draft him we dont have to wait a year or two for an NFL coach to change his throwing motion or footwork- two things that usually take rookie QBs a while to learn. I dont want any type of developmental QB, I dont want a guy with accuracy concerns. Smith has the touch, accuracy and zip to make any throw he needs to. The more I hear and the more I see, the more I really like this guy.

thats what scares me.
isnt leach the coach?
ive seen this episode of super qb before.

Leach isnt the coach, but the dude is one of Leach's disciples. The difference though is that Texas Tech ran a typical college spread offense with a lot of crossing routes, slants, etc and not much deep. The WV variation is more of a vertical offense and it requires Smith to make a ton of different throws. Still, I'm cautious about any spread QB. I know some have succeeded, but more often than not, they dont. However, unlike Timmy Chain, Colt Brennan, Case Keenum, etc, Smith throws all the NFL routes, has terrific accuracy, and already has good mechanics, footwork, and throwing motion.

This. Plus from the article posted, look at this quote:

Quote:
The man tasked with slowing him down this weekend, Texas defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, after watching game film of Smith: "In the NFL, pro quarterbacks can throw you open. What's scary with Geno is he can do that with his third read."

Diaz is as talented a DC in college football you'll find. He sees NFL skill in Smith when breaking him down.

He has the ability to make all the throws and ability to read defenses. It's impressive seeing as his WRs are what 5'9" - 5'10"? He gets them the ball. imagine what he could do with a prototype NFL WR with a bigger catch radius.

Geno actually sounds scary good. I feel like unless a team that already drafted a QB with their first pick like the Browns, Dolphins, or Colts he's gonna go #1 overall. Of course that depends on how he fares against good defenses.

You guys can ohh and aww over Smith all you want to. I will reserve my opinion until after he plays a legitimate defense. Texas will be a tough test, and we will see I guess.

Smith has one year in a Pro Style offense in which he threw for 24 TDs/7 picks and 2500 yards. Not bad.

Quote:
Since Holgorsen arrived WVU's had 4 gms vs Top25 teams: Geno Smith's averaged 475 yds passing w/ a 17-2 TD-INT ratio.

He's played plenty well enough against good teams.

He's going to last until the 20's, quote that.

On Bridgewater.
CrashMan510

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chali21 wrote:
CrashMan510 wrote:
there are only 2 franchise qb's in this draft. Barkley and Geno. Never bought the Logan Thomas/Tyler Wilson/Tyler Bray hype.

What happened to Landry Jones? I thought this next draft it was going to be a battle between him and Barkley.

3rd rounder imo.

He has a rifle and for the most part he throws an accurate ball but he has a Tebow-esq release(it takes him way too long to get rid of the ball) and i just don't see anything special in him

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrashMan510 wrote:

Suggest you watch Wilson more. He's got the best arm and mechanics of the passers. He's smart, athletic and very professional a kid.

He's got the best 'feel' for the pocket I've seen of the QBs. He's gets the ball out and evades blitzers well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
CrashMan510 wrote:

Suggest you watch Wilson more. He's got the best arm and mechanics of the passers. He's smart, athletic and very professional a kid.

He's got the best 'feel' for the pocket I've seen of the QBs. He's gets the ball out and evades blitzers well.

I've watched most of his games this year and he's been mediocre...and he's played nothing but subpar defenses this year

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrashMan510 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
CrashMan510 wrote:

I've watched most of his games this year and he's been mediocre...and he's played nothing but subpar defenses this year

Wilson hasn't been very impressive in the games against ranked teams so far.

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
big_palooka

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrashMan510 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
CrashMan510 wrote:

Arkansas has a new coach and overall isn't that talented. Issues on the Oline have Wilson getting pressured too much of the time.

On defense, they are hot garbage. Wilson and the offense are trying to scrape together out of holes most games. Playing from behind. The defense is ranked something like 115th overall. They are putrid.

Wilson also came of injury and missed a game. Also, let's not forget his coach, Petrino was released in the spring and they have an interim coach.

Hopefully teams sleep on Wilson, because he has the talent. But the team around him quit early on. They had no direction with Petrino's scandal and it's been a mess since day 1. Kid has a lot of fight, but he can't do it alone.

He will look good through the offseason and Senior Bowl games.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickButera wrote:
bitty wrote:

You are right . My mistake.

Don't see too many people do that now-a-days. Props to you, sir.

++++++1.
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
NickButera wrote:
bitty wrote:

You are right . My mistake.

Don't see too many people do that now-a-days. Props to you, sir.

++++++1.

Dang, I was really hoping to rub it in but now it would seem mean.

Just playin' bitty.

La_Vader wrote:
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
CrashMan510 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
CrashMan510 wrote:

Arkansas has a new coach and overall isn't that talented. Issues on the Oline have Wilson getting pressured too much of the time.

On defense, they are hot garbage. Wilson and the offense are trying to scrape together out of holes most games. Playing from behind. The defense is ranked something like 115th overall. They are putrid.

Wilson also came of injury and missed a game. Also, let's not forget his coach, Petrino was released in the spring and they have an interim coach.

Hopefully teams sleep on Wilson, because he has the talent. But the team around him quit early on. They had no direction with Petrino's scandal and it's been a mess since day 1. Kid has a lot of fight, but he can't do it alone.

He will look good through the offseason and Senior Bowl games.

A lot can, and will, change by April, so I wonder if/ how far his stock falls (or rises) after the Senior Bowl/ Combine. Its looking like we'll have a top-10 pick and there will be at least 3 high 1st round QBs in Barkley, Smith and Wilson. I'll admit I'm not super educated on all three guys, but I think I would be happy with any of them as our QB.

La_Vader wrote:
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really a big fan of Geno Smih (like his prospects more than RGIII's) and I think the Raiders have to take a good look at him in the upcoming draft.

He is at the top of my board for the Raiders.
Burgesskills

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want Barkley, he is a glorified Matt Leinart.

He buckles under pressures and forces the ball. He is turnover prone. He lacks the smarts. I don't want him.
RaiderX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burgesskills wrote:
I don't want Barkley, he is a glorified Matt Leinart.

He buckles under pressures and forces the ball. He is turnover prone. He lacks the smarts. I don't want him.

TBH their line sucks this year. They got beat up bad against Star and the Utah DLine this week too. I like Barkley, don't love him. He has a better arm and moves better than Leinart so I don't agree with that assessment. I just laugh at the few posters on here that said he was better than Luck.

He's definitely turnover prone if you get in his face though.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
Nodisrespect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years i noticed most good QB's don't come from big programs, most of the guys doing well come from small schools where they had a ton of adversity.

Just look at the top QB's most of them came from struggling programs.

Mannings ole miss, and Tennesse which are not the big dogs
Big Ben
Rivers
Rodgers
Brees
Flacco
Ryan
Luck
RG111
Vick

It's actually becoming a trend that QB's from big schools don't do very well in the pros.

Maybe playing with inferior players builds character in your QB, because it seems like as soon as these big time school QB's struggle they go into the tank, and don't bother pulling themselves out. Having a sense of privilege seems to be of detriment.

And we also have Pryor on the bench and that guy has seen a lot of adversity even though he went to big school, maybe he can help this team in a year or two.

Right now i like that Dysert guy and Smith.
Darkness

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless Palmer is let go, the Raiders won't wait until the 3rd to address the defense IMO. They'll have a great chance at a few dominate defensive prospects if they finish around the top 5.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 10 of 24

Jump to: