Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brian Flores and Josh Boyer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Brian Flores and Josh Boyer Reply with quote

These guys need to step up their game. For those who don't know, they're the Pats' safety and CB coaches respectively. We've had about half a dozen plays this season already where the DBs have been in perfect position to break up a pass and failed to get their heads turned, and ended up being flagged for PI or giving up big plays as a result. That's a technique issue and that falls on the positional coaches.
Flores also needs to take his guys and explain angles to them. Patrick Chung and Steve Gregory have really shown poor understanding of pursuit angles this year, and it's hurt the team a number of times.
I have confidence that this defense would be a top-10 unit if the DBs would step up and play to their potential.

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
finn54

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to 2010 when Corwin Brown was hired, there were rumors of the DBs not really respecting/listening to Josh Boyer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a post over on another Pats forum by a guy who knows his stuff, and it basically said that the DBs are trained to not look for the ball when they're trailing the WR, but to read the receiver's hands and try to swat the ball away. If they are ahead of the WR (in a position to see the front numbers), then they turn around to make a play on the ball. The biggest complaint I see about the secondary is that they aren't playing the ball, and this would help explain why.
Richter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
There was a post over on another Pats forum by a guy who knows his stuff, and it basically said that the DBs are trained to not look for the ball when they're trailing the WR, but to read the receiver's hands and try to swat the ball away. If they are ahead of the WR (in a position to see the front numbers), then they turn around to make a play on the ball. The biggest complaint I see about the secondary is that they aren't playing the ball, and this would help explain why.

I've heard this claim made before, but I never thought it made much sense. It's so much harder to make that kind of play, rather than tracking the ball as it comes in, and it greatly increases the chance of committing a penalty. If it's true, it's a huge mistake by the coaching staff in my estimation. More likely, I just think it's guys getting burned and flailing to try and make a play.
Sciz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
I've heard this claim made before, but I never thought it made much sense. It's so much harder to make that kind of play, rather than tracking the ball as it comes in, and it greatly increases the chance of committing a penalty. If it's true, it's a huge mistake by the coaching staff in my estimation. More likely, I just think it's guys getting burned and flailing to try and make a play.

Yeah, that's the thing. Even if that's what they're supposed to do, then they're not even doing that right because there have been too many PI calls.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:

I hope that's not true. I like to think we have a good coaching staff.

Sure, you can tell when the ball arrives by reading the receivers hands, but unless you know where the ball actually is you don't know when the receiver will slow down - and you'll crash into them when they unexpectedly do so. Confused

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: