Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Valuing Your Time?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x0x

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Valuing Your Time? Reply with quote

Several years ago I knew this one guy who always noted that whatever I spent my time on was costing me.

He'd say something like: " Imagine if you were teaching music instead of volunteering for 5 hours a week, you'd make some nice cash on the side " etc.

This guy now owns his company. He's not a millionaire but fairly well off, probably earns in the hundreds of thousands.

He looks awful ( weighs 300+ on a 5"10 frame ), has few friends and no long-term relationships ([REMOVED] - That's neither appropriate, nor relevant.).

Now yes, this is a cynical example but I myself have a pet peeve of people who look at every minute of their time in monetary gain. I do favours for friends free of charge cause I want to.

Why do so many people look at " This will take me an hour to do, $50! ".

The hell????

In terms of what favours I do, for example I teach piano to one of my friends' kids for free.
Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not about how well you lived ... its about how happy you lived

Thats my motto

Bolieve in Masai
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do whatever makes you happy. And helping other people makes you happy do it.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Do whatever makes you happy. And helping other people makes you happy do it.

seems simple enough

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
iPwn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorta relevant: I never understood why people will wait around for ridiculous amounts of time to save a little money.

Like people will wait a half hour at this one gas station in town on Sundays because they have a sale that is like 3 cents cheaper than the empty gas station a block away.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Sorta relevant: I never understood why people will wait around for ridiculous amounts of time to save a little money.

Like people will wait a half hour at this one gas station in town on Sundays because they have a sale that is like 3 cents cheaper than the empty gas station a block away.
"BRB! Gas station 30 miles away is the cheapest gas around by like nine cents!"
*burns two gallons of gas to save $1.10.*

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:

Yep.

I value time in the sense that I'll pay a little extra to have things done more quickly. I'd rather pay that money and save myself some time to do what I want rather than waiting to get the same result but for slightly less money. But, as for the OP, I too love to help people for the sake of helping. I never look at my time spent doing something and think "hey, I could have made $X in this amount of time".

I don't look at my time in terms of dollars, but my dollars in terms of time, I guess. I use my money to try and get myself more time/things to do, rather than use my time/things to do to get more money.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i'm not at work, my time is worth $0/hr. Some people are in too big of a hurry sometimes.

Sometimes i'll mention to someone that i'm building something at home, and they'll come back with "it took you 8 hrs to do that plus materials, and you could have bought it for $50. Why didn't you just buy it? Your time is worth more than that."

A) I can't be at work all the time: sometimes i run out of things to do.
B) I enjoy making things with my hands, something that is radically different than my day job.

Meaning my down time isn't worth my hourly wage at work.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
MonserinNC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:

!!!!!!!!!

I remember when Chic-fil-a first came to Chicago they had a free sandwich give away and people were lined up around the block, hahahaha, why would you wait in a line around the block for a free fast food chicken sandwich!!??

Also waiting in line for Iphones....just ridiculous.

BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
-Hope-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why worry about how he chooses to live his life?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonserinNC wrote:
Also waiting in line for Iphones....just ridiculous.
Agreed. Preordering is the way to go. Wink

I'm not waiting for something unless it's necessary to do so.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just economics. The ultimate resource is time because it's just about only thing that can't be manufactured or traded. Every one of us is subconsciously making a labor-leisure tradeoff at all times.

That doesn't mean you have to spend all of your time working, because leisure has value too. There comes a point for everyone when they say, "I don't care how much you're paying me; I'm done working."

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
MaclinandMCcoy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
Why worry about how he chooses to live his life?

My thoughts exactly
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
It's just economics. The ultimate resource is time because it's just about only thing that can't be manufactured or traded. Every one of us is subconsciously making a labor-leisure tradeoff at all times.

That doesn't mean you have to spend all of your time working, because leisure has value too. There comes a point for everyone when they say, "I don't care how much you're paying me; I'm done working."

MY MAN

this is why i'm so glad i'm an econ major. it just opens your eyes to a ton of things.

btw the dude in the op is an idiot. thats called a person who misses life because he's trying to plan for a perfect one.

brb using "time i could be earning" and getting ripped so i can spend my free time talking to females and having fun going on instead of sitting in my room staring at the wall until my next shift.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called opportunity costs.

Everyone has a set amount of time to live. You may be able to increase or decrease that time depending on your decisions in life. I wouldn't recommend wasting any of it, but that's pretty impossible, I'll admit.

I'm actually anticipating the day a no-sleep pill is invented. Think about it. You waste a third of your life laying in bed. You could almost live a second life. (Think of that American Dad ep if you've seen it.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: