Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

ESPN's power rankings start the Clippers ahead of the Celtic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Basketball
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your take?
Clippers ARE better than the Celtics
62%
 62%  [ 17 ]
Celtics are better than the Clippers
22%
 22%  [ 6 ]
It's ESPN, they're just trying to stir the pot
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 27

tonyto3690

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: ESPN's power rankings start the Clippers ahead of the Celtic Reply with quote

I mean, no argument with the Heat #1 and I can even buy the Thunder, Spurs, and Lakers... but the Clippers?! The Celtics played the Heat last year harder than anyone else by a long shot, and even DWade went out of his way to state as much, and they've only gotten better.

Lob City is great and all but that doesn't do much in the playoffs when teams play defense and you can't. I know they're flashy and CP3 is obviously legit, but come on man. The Clippers over the Celtics?

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
A.J. Hawk Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They lost Allen. KG and Pierce are a year older, Bradley is unhealthy. Rondo is very good.

While Griffin and Jordan are improving, CP3 is money and the whole team as a whole of the Clippers are young and full of potential.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also have the Lakers above the Thunder, and Dwight isn't even ready for camp yet. You are telling me at the start of the season, that the Lakers are going to be better than the Thunder? OKC's core has been playing together for a few years now and, if the trend continues, will improve this year as well. Dwight Howard isn't even ready for camp yet, and once he is 100%, it should take them quite some time to get accustomed to each other under Mike Browns leadership.

It's just ESPN.
BlackPrestige92

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take the C's. Rondo will win MVP this season! KG and Pierce are gonna give it one last war cry as Avery Bradley comes back from injury to be Tony Allen Jr. While Bradley is gone they'll have Courtney Lee filling in. Lee isn't a joke....
Sure they lost Ray Allen. But guess what? They got a better player to come off the bench in Jason Terry(no question he's a better bench player)! Brandon Bass is solid. Jeff Green will do good things. Darko is a big body who plays solid D if anything else. Apparently "He'll kill someone on the court if he must" Oh and their rooks have potential. Not proven at all. But they have potential. Enter Doc Rivers.

Flop City? They have CP3 and Blake Griffin. DJ has mental lapses and literally scores ALL his points in the pain thanks to CP3, he's not good. Butler is falling off. Billups is solid, but declining noticeably. Odom? Bah! Grant Hill is a lock down defender with a smooth mid range game to go with his slashing prowess. I like Hill. Crawford will be a solid player, he's a good scorer. Bledsoe is a good spark plug. Matt Barnes is bad too. Granted they'll be the 3-5 seed in the west. Their coach is not the man for the job. He aint it like Mitt Romney.

I'm a Laker fan, so I hate the C's. But they are no doubt in my mind better than the C's.

的f Phil Jackson came back, still no coaching me, I知 uncoachable, I知 unsociable.
-Kendrick Lamar
BlackPrestige92

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:
They also have the Lakers above the Thunder, and Dwight isn't even ready for camp yet. You are telling me at the start of the season, that the Lakers are going to be better than the Thunder? OKC's core has been playing together for a few years now and, if the trend continues, will improve this year as well. Dwight Howard isn't even ready for camp yet, and once he is 100%, it should take them quite some time to get accustomed to each other under Mike Browns leadership.

It's just ESPN.

Bro get your facts straight. Dwight is "Ready for training camp". He's been a full participant the past 2 days, with the exception of today's 5-5 scrimmage. He is hopeful of playing in a couple of preseason games. It'll be a shocker if he's not ready for the season opener vs Dallas.

But who cares though. This is BSPN we are talking about Laughing Laughing That's why these guys must play the games.

-Kendrick Lamar
simonwayne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackPrestige92 wrote:
simonwayne wrote:

It's just ESPN.

Bro get your facts straight. Dwight is "Ready for training camp". He's been a full participant the past 2 days, with the exception of today's 5-5 scrimmage. He is hopeful of playing in a couple of preseason games. It'll be a shocker if he's not ready for the season opener vs Dallas.

But who cares though. This is BSPN we are talking about Laughing Laughing That's why these guys must play the games.

Last I heard he wasn't, but yeah, we'll just have to wait and see. I always figured that power rankings were a rating of which teams are the best right now. Which is why they can change weekly. Not how well they think they will be at the end of the season. I don't think too many people would have a problem with someone saying that the Lakers could be better than the Thunder when the playoffs start, but at the start of the season? No way.
BlackPrestige92

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:
BlackPrestige92 wrote:
simonwayne wrote:

It's just ESPN.

Last I heard he wasn't, but yeah, we'll just have to wait and see. I always figured that power rankings were a rating of which teams are the best right now. Which is why they can change weekly. Not how well they think they will be at the end of the season. I don't think too many people would have a problem with someone saying that the Lakers could be better than the Thunder when the playoffs start, but at the start of the season? No way.

Completely agree. The Lakers should be no higher than 3 as of now. I feel like pulling a Dennis Green and telling the world "If you wanna crown their arse, then crown their arse! But they aren't who we think they are!...yet." Laughing Classic

-Kendrick Lamar
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.J. Hawk Fan wrote:
They lost Allen. KG and Pierce are a year older, Bradley is unhealthy. Rondo is very good.

While Griffin and Jordan are improving, CP3 is money and the whole team as a whole of the Clippers are young and full of potential.

Bradley will be ready about a month into the season. It's not like he's missing the entire year.

KG and Pierce last year both started the year out of shape which was in large part the reason why we started so horrifically slow. Pierce compounded the issue with an injury. They will be a year older but nothing tells me they will slow down significantly with Rondo there to feed them. KG if anything has only gotten better the past year because he's finally 100% after the bone spurs that killed the Celtics 2008 repeat season.

Rondo will be even better this year. Lee is better than Ray at this point in their careers. Terry is also better than Ray at this point in their careers. Green and Wilcox are both back and finally healthy, and Bass will only assumedly continue to improve his defense which was dramatically better with only half a season of KG's teaching.

I mean just the bench alone, look at it compared to last year.

Greg Stiemsma, Ryan Hollins, Keyon Dooling, Marquis Daniels, Michael Pietrus

vs

Courtney Lee, Jason Terry, Jeff Green, Chris Wilcox, Fab Melo, Jarred Sullinger, Jason Collings

That bench is WAY better. Last year in Celtics land celebrated when our bench scored 10 points. Lee, Terry, and Green should all score way over 10 points by themselves on a per game basis.

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
green24

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the teams are probably pretty even right now, but I think the Clippers might have the better season. It still might be a bit premature to rank them this high. I want to see how they do in CP3's second year in LA.

Last edited by green24 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bo_Spice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Clippers are going to really surprise people this season. Their core is pretty strong, and that includes a healthy Chauncey Billups, whom they missed dearly last season when he went down with his achilles injury. And they added a lot of really solid depth this off-season in Jamal Crawford, Lamar Odom, Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, and Ronny Turiaf.

The top of the western conference is going to be interesting next season between the Lakers, Thunder, and Clippers battling for the top three spots.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.J. Hawk Fan wrote:

Celtics brought in Jason Terry and Courtney Lee, plus they're gonna be getting Jeff Green and Chris Wilcox back. They also drafted Sullinger and Fab Melo, and they brought in Darko. Avery will be back at full health relatively soon too.

I'll take the more proven squad here, so I'm gonna go with the Celtics.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
I think the Clippers are going to really surprise people this season. Their core is pretty strong, and that includes a healthy Chauncey Billups, whom they missed dearly last season when he went down with his achilles injury. And they added a lot of really solid depth this off-season in Jamal Crawford, Lamar Odom, Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, and Ronny Turiaf.

The top of the western conference is going to be interesting next season between the Lakers, Thunder, and Clippers battling for the top three spots.

I had to edit your post a bit because we can't discuss race in the forum.

I like that you mentioned the names that you did, but I do want to mention some that you didn't. Those are Reggie Evans, Mo Williams, and Randy Foye. They helped with the depth last year, so the additions of the guys you mentioned is lessened a bit because the Clippers already had some significant subtractions. However, they will be better, because I do like this bench better than last year's bench.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lone star wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:

I like that you mentioned the names that you did, but I do want to mention some that you didn't. Those are Reggie Evans, Mo Williams, and Randy Foye. They helped with the depth last year, so the additions of the guys you mentioned is lessened a bit because the Clippers already had some significant subtractions. However, they will be better, because I do like this bench better than last year's bench.

What about my post had anything to do with race? I said that the Clippers missed Chauncey Billups desperately when he went down with the achilles injury last year...

When you compare the Clippers and Celtics I honestly don't see what makes the Celtics the better team. The Clippers have an excellent blend of youth and experience on their roster, combined with the fact that their entire core is still together while the Celtics lost one of their most important pieces this offseason.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:

It's just ESPN.

Dwight Howard is already going full contact, 100% in Lakers camp. He hasn't been cleared for 5 on 5 basketball yet but he has been playing in some half-court games. He'll make his pre-season debut in a couple of weeks and will be on the floor for the Lakers on opening night as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
the lone star wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:

What about my post had anything to do with race? I said that the Clippers missed Chauncey Billups desperately when he went down with the achilles injury last year...

When you compare the Clippers and Celtics I honestly don't see what makes the Celtics the better team. The Clippers have an excellent blend of youth and experience on their roster, combined with the fact that their entire core is still together while the Celtics lost one of their most important pieces this offseason.

I'll PM you the thing about the race. It wasn't anything offensive, I just didn't want it to escalate into something bigger.

Fair enough about your opinion. If it's me, I'm picking the Celtics, but I can see why the Clippers would be ranked higher.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Basketball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: