Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Poetic Justice for Brees
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillSabre

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Poetic Justice for Brees Reply with quote

How in the world does it work out that Drew Brees gets to, in all likelihood, break this record against his former team? I understand the Chargers decision at the time but how's this for a swift kick in the nards?! A little reminder of what you had and what that asset has accomplished since you let him go!!

Would Drew Brees have accomplished all the things he has had he stayed in San Diego or does Sean Payton deserve a good chunk of praise for Brees' achievements?

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Who got that sack? Cameron Jordan? Jordan Cameron? Michael Jordan? Cam Cameron? IM SO CONFUSED!
GoneWithTheWind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew Brees should give Sean Payton a lot of credit. Payton turned a good QB into an elite QB with a brilliant offense and playcalling. Thats just my opinion. Drew woulnd't sniff this record without him.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont see where the hostility would be.

The Chargers drafted Rivers in 2004, which just so happened to be the year that Brees first started to look like an actual starting caliber QB. In the 3 years before they drafted Rivers, Brees looked like a bust. Showed flashes, but not enough to make you pass on a top QB prospect they had a chance at.

And after that, they had no choice but to let Brees go.

It was business. No one got screwed over. In fact, if I were Brees, Id be grateful to the Chargers for letting him go.

As for the other stuff....i can say with a fair bit of confidence that if Brees were in San Diego with Norv Turner, he would not have the same success he had with Sean Peyton New Orleans. Thats not meant to say that Rivers would have a SB in New Orleans....but the Chargers IMO, more than anything, have been held back by Norv Turner and AJ Smith. And I think they wouldve held them back even if Brees has stayed in San Diego.

It is cool that he is playing his first team when breaking the record, but I wouldnt call it "poetic justice" or attach any type of revenge theory to it.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has no / shouldn't have any hostility. When we drafted Rivers, he was no good. And then he suffered a severe injury. And AJ still offered him a contract worth a fair sum, it just didn't have any guarantees really.

I don't think Norv ever would have been hired for Brees anyway.

Like 43 said, its cool its against us, but Brees shouldn't have any feelings of revenge.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, Brees didnt become Brees until Rivers was drafted. It wouldnt have made sense to extend Brees and try and trade Rivers, it was simply easier to let Brees go. The injury to Brees certainly made the decision easier for SD.
General_Bean

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back I'd still make the same move if I were San Diego, Brees, besides his physical build, Also had the Throwing shoulder injury. I also believe at the time that Rivers was the better option for the "Marty Schottenheimer" style offense (remember Norv wasn't there till 06, year when they let Brees walk). Although brees did have a great 04 season (104.8 passer rating) He did dwindle a bit in 05 even though in a Franchise tagged season along with injury. I'm sure the chargers felt he was on the decline, and injured, plus they invested alot into Rivers.

If anything, Miami may also be in the conversation with bad memories considering they chose culpeppers knee over brees' shoulder.

All Hindsight now, I don't feel Brees would've brought nothing more than what Rivers delivered to SD during his time.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

General_Bean wrote:
Looking back I'd still make the same move if I were San Diego, Brees, besides his physical build, Also had the Throwing shoulder injury. I also believe at the time that Rivers was the better option for the "Marty Schottenheimer" style offense (remember Norv wasn't there till 06, year when they let Brees walk). Although brees did have a great 04 season (104.8 passer rating) He did dwindle a bit in 05 even though in a Franchise tagged season along with injury. I'm sure the chargers felt he was on the decline, and injured, plus they invested alot into Rivers.

If anything, Miami may also be in the conversation with bad memories considering they chose culpeppers knee over brees' shoulder.

All Hindsight now, I don't feel Brees would've brought nothing more than what Rivers delivered to SD during his time.

I dont exactly remember, but I thought Brees chose the Saints and the Dolphins settled for Culpepper. I dont think the Dolphins had the opportunity to choose one or the other, Brees chose the Saints.
General_Bean

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
General_Bean wrote:

I dont exactly remember, but I thought Brees chose the Saints and the Dolphins settled for Culpepper. I dont think the Dolphins had the opportunity to choose one or the other, Brees chose the Saints.

oo you may be right then. I had thought that Miami almost had first dibs and NO got the seconds. Should do my homework better..

wikipedia wrote:
The New Orleans Saints and the Miami Dolphins were interested. New Orleans made an offer that included $10 million in guaranteed money the first year and a $12 million option the second year. Miami was unsure if Brees' shoulder was completely healed and doctors suggested the team not sign him because of the injury.[16] The Dolphins ended negotiations and traded for Minnesota Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper instead. Brees signed a 6-year, $60 million deal with the Saints on March 14, 2006.

I know it's wikipedia, but im not 100% sure how legit it is. but it seems like they were ready for a bidding war and Miami backed out
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
General_Bean wrote:

No, the Dolphins chose Culpepper. According to reports, Brees' first choice was Miami.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
General_Bean wrote:

No, the Dolphins chose Culpepper. According to reports, Brees' first choice was Miami.

Brees' first choice may have been Miami, but Miami didnt feel comfortable paying the money Brees required. I think it was more of a situation where they didnt feel comfortable signing Brees and moved on the next alternative.
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
General_Bean wrote:

Brees' first choice may have been Miami, but Miami didnt feel comfortable paying the money Brees required. I think it was more of a situation where they didnt feel comfortable signing Brees and moved on the next alternative.

Oh man. I forgot all about this. Laughing Miami really dropped the ball on that one.
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He can have all the poetic justice he wants. The real poetic justice is that his team is 0-4.

Thanks to Peppers90 on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Ketchup

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
He can have all the poetic justice he wants. The real poetic justice is that his team is 0-4.
dead ringer for how I feel. Hoping the Chargers break his streak to be honest.

Kempes on the custom sig!
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:

You got that right.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor on the reigning MVP's sig!
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
General_Bean wrote:

Brees chose New Orleans over Miami. In his book he says he liked the faith that New Orleans put in his shoulder, while Miami was hesitant. He told Miami that he chose New Orleans before he told his agent or New Orleans Laughing

It's nothing Miami did wrong, they have to trust their doctors and they weren't going to pay big money to a guy that their doctors said had a 25% chance of making a comeback. New Orleans on the other hand pretty much sold out to get Brees, they weren't interested in Culpepper and put all their negotiations into signing Brees. If they didn't get Brees they were going to draft Vince Young, Matt Leinart, or Jay Cutler.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: