Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The maturation of Geno Smith
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: The maturation of Geno Smith Reply with quote

While I know there have been other QB discussions - I didn't this info to be missed.

When considering taking a QB in the first round no matter how needed - there is always a bit of fear associated with it. So quite simply.. the more you know the better you can commit to the decision.

This is simply more info to get on likely the future 1st overall pick and possibly, the next QB of the KC Chiefs.

The maturation of Geno Smith.

couple of points to discuss, with quotes:

Quote:
After the Baylor game, Holgorsen was asked whether he was happy with the level of Smith's play. "He was 45-of-51 for 656 yards and eight touchdowns and zero interceptions," Holgorsen replied. "Can you please explain to me how you can improve on that?" Maybe the only one who saw how he could was Smith. Following the win, he was emphatic that it was not "his best game," and, pointing to his six incompletions, stated that those were things he needed to fix. Holgorsen, when told of Smith's self-criticism, cast his eyes downward and responded, "That's just him. I worry about that with him at times. He expects perfection, which is impossible. In the game of football, perfection is impossible."

Is his expectation of perfection a concern to you? I love his pursuit of it - as long as he recognizes no one can absolutely achieve it.

Quote:
The man tasked with slowing him down this weekend, Texas defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, after watching game film of Smith: "In the NFL, pro quarterbacks can throw you open. What's scary with Geno is he can do that with his third read."

Considering our current QB, have you ever read anything about a potential guy better than this quote here?
kingseanjohn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aim for perfection you'll be great. Aim to be great and you'll be good. Aim to be good and you'll be mediocre.

2014 Chiefs Draft Wish List
1. Brandin Cooks, WR, OSU
3. Brandon Thomas, G, Clemson
4. Tevin Reese, WR Baylor
5. Ron Powell, OLB, Florida
Eric Berry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of what an expectation of perfection could do to this team. Just today on 610, Bernard Pollard said the difference between KC and Baltimore is that Baltimore expects to win. How can we even be remotely worried about his expectation for perfection when our players dont even expect to win when they take the field

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at think it's unique for the QB position more so than any other to understand you have to forget the last play.

The guy came off a record setting 8 TD (and only 6 incompletions) 700 yard day, and a win, and he's talking about needing to play better. On one hand I like the constant wish to improve but to not recognize such a great day seems OVERLY harsh on himself.

All his NFL games obviously won't look like that. How might he handle a 12 for 25 170 2 INT day? I know he can look to improve on his play.. but can he forget the bad plays/performances when they happen?

Don't make it so black and white - there's plenty of gray to the area.
Eric Berry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrowhead86 wrote:
Well at think it's unique for the QB position more so than any other to understand you have to forget the last play.

The guy came off a record setting 8 TD (and only 6 incompletions) 700 yard day, and a win, and he's talking about needing to play better. On one hand I like the constant wish to improve but to not recognize such a great day seems OVERLY harsh on himself.

All his NFL games obviously won't look like that. How might he handle a 12 for 25 170 2 INT day? I know he can look to improve on his play.. but can he forget the bad plays/performances when they happen?

Don't make it so black and white - there's plenty of gray to the area.

Maybe its a good thing for the quarterback to be overly harsh on himself. I agree with you, only to an extent that is not dangerous to his production, but lets be real - that is near impossible. There is no way that his strive for perfection would hurt him. You know how hard he works, and if anything, a game like that would motivate him to just work even harder. Plus, wouldnt he being overly harsh on himself be a thousand times better than the same Cassel postame presser rehash of "weve gotta get better and it starts with me"?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think it shows maturity in how he talks to the media. If he started gloating about his performance all you would hear about Smith is that he is a typical arrogant athlete. But when you listen to most NFL quarterbacks you never hear them get overly excited talking about their accomplishments but often talk about how they can improve.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of you make compelling points. I know I'd be in line to call him out for praising his own performance if he did too much or it. It's a fine line.

Let me be clear though, in raising this point about him from the article I am not wanting to detract from him. His coach mentioned it as a concern and it struck me. Seemed a good discussion point.

So no one has really commented on the 2nd quoted part. That seemed like one of the highest praises I'd ever heard of. I loved it.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrowhead86 wrote:
Both of you make compelling points. I know I'd be in line to call him out for praising his own performance if he did too much or it. It's a fine line.

Let me be clear though, in raising this point about him from the article I am not wanting to detract from him. His coach mentioned it as a concern and it struck me. Seemed a good discussion point.

So no one has really commented on the 2nd quoted part. That seemed like one of the highest praises I'd ever heard of. I loved it.

I guess I don't really understand the quote from Diaz...."he can throw you open"?

DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic, throwing the WR open is something we as Chiefs fans don't understand. It's the concept of throwing not to where the receiver is, and maybe not even where they will be, but rather where you need them to be and understanding they will be there.

In Cassel's terms this is at about the 11' mark vertically for Bowe and Baldwin.

It's truly about knowing where you can put the ball to help your receiver make a play.

It's a phrase I've been hearing a lot lately in broadcasts of the game.

Props to Loto...the guy does great work
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Nic, throwing the WR open is something we as Chiefs fans don't understand. It's the concept of throwing not to where the receiver is, and maybe not even where they will be, but rather where you need them to be and understanding they will be there.

In Cassel's terms this is at about the 11' mark vertically for Bowe and Baldwin.

It's truly about knowing where you can put the ball to help your receiver make a play.

It's a phrase I've been hearing a lot lately in broadcasts of the game.

Oh, ok. Yeah, I understand the concept but just have never heard of that statement before.

Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look like you two worked it out - and it's been scarcely seen from #7. He's much more likely to throw our guys into coverage and kill any YAC yardage Sad

The fact that Smith does this so late in the progression (3rd read) just illustrates his quick mind and ability to read and process and adjust things so late in the play.

WVU vs Texas on Saturday at 6pm CST should be required viewing for this forum. Huge test for Smith against a team notoriously stacked with NFL talent and speed on defense.
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more on Geno, and the offense he's in. IF he were to become a Chief, I'm curious if people believe Daboll would adopt much of his college offense similar to how Shanahan has done for RG3.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--geno-smith-becomes-air-raid-s-greatest-disciple--ndash--and-college-football.html

One thing to notice when you watch WVU, they use the Pistol formation from time to time. I love the Pistol formation (and have been surprised Gailey never uses it in Buffalo).
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrowhead86 wrote:
more on Geno, and the offense he's in. IF he were to become a Chief, I'm curious if people believe Daboll would adopt much of his college offense similar to how Shanahan has done for RG3.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--geno-smith-becomes-air-raid-s-greatest-disciple--ndash--and-college-football.html

One thing to notice when you watch WVU, they use the Pistol formation from time to time. I love the Pistol formation (and have been surprised Gailey never uses it in Buffalo).

Maybe Pioli and his merry band of misfits won't be here and we can do this thing right across the board.

diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the quotes above and I do think it would be pretty worrisome if your QB is overly concerned and is too critical. Being too critical means he's less likely to forget about bad plays and more likely to be raddled in pressure situations. Haven't really followed the guy, but that'd be a concern.

I would've liked to see him say something along the lines of, "I had a great game. Definitely the best game I've had in my career. I'll enjoy it, but there's still some things I need to work on. The incompletions were bad reads, I'll have to go to the film and keep trying to get better."

But that said, if this guy keeps it up, he probably will be the first pick in the draft. Unfortanately for you guys I think the Chiefs will likely have to trade up to get the #1 pick. I think the Jets will finish with a worst record tbqh- they look like a total train wreck... and there's no guarantee that they wouldn't take Smith. It might cost a couple 1sts and 2nd/3rd to get it done. Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Geno is great under pressure, so thats not a concern really. Also against LSU last year he showed that he can also forget bad plays. Threw a couple interceptions early, but kept on fighting and had a good game although didnt pull out a win.

I think on the field hes a different person then he is off. Dont know how often you hear this about players in the NFL, but Im fine with my QB being hard on himself after a game even a win. What was that quote by Vince Lombardi again?

“Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: