Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Analysis of a play - Hartline 80 Yard TD Pass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Analysis of a play - Hartline 80 Yard TD Pass Reply with quote

Our presnap alignment - Miami comes our in a 2 wide, 2 back formation with the Tight End on the right hand side of the line. The receivers are tight to the end of the line, this can tend to cause traffic in the middle of the field.

Arizona is in a traditional 3-4 set with Adrian Wilson playing close to the box, and Rhodes 6-7 yards deeper, both OLB's are lined up in a split legged two point stance usually indicating that they are coming at the QB.

At the point of the playaction fake you can begin to see the play developing. As expected both Cardinals OLB's have blitzed creaing a 5 man rush with 6 men in coverage. For Miami the TE has stayed in to block while the fullback is leaking out to the left hand side. Both Washington and Lenon in the middle look ready for run, but have not committed to that. Acho is going 1 v 1 with Long and is able to get upfield, while Schofield is 1 v 1 with Fasano the Dolphins TE.

Note both Wilson and Rhodes have dropped into a two deep shell. Also note the position of both Peterson and Toler (This will be important later) as well as the fact that both WR's are running the same route.

Starting where the ball is, both Acho and Schofield have got to the outside of their blockers and have a chance to get to Tannehill. Unfortunately there is absolutely no interior pressure and Tannehill has a huge pocket to step up into.

Now this coverage is a two deep zone with four underneath hook zones. There should be symmetry across the field defensively for Arizona. Look where Rhodes is looking, firmly at Hartline. Toler is about to pass this man off to Rhodes as he leaves his zone and then moves in the zone the Rhodes is responsible for.

Bush has begun his leak out as a checkdown option, the strongside ILB, cannot tell whether it is Washington or Lenon is about to close down on the man entering his zone. On the other side we have our first major breakdown of the play. Patrick Peterson has read the fullback and come downhill, the two actually collide about when the screen capture is taken. This man is the responsibility of the weakside ILB.

Note the player running free at this stage is actually Davonne Bess, the man Peterson should be trailing before passing him off to Adrian Wilson.

The point the throw it made or slightly thereafter, we can see the utter confusion in the bottom right hand corner of the photo. Rhodes has followed Bess when Toler was passing Hartline off to him. Adrian Wilson tries in vain to get from his outside the hash marks on one side of the field to the sideline on the other to make a play but fails. We can see the depth that Toler has on his zone drop. Peterson should mirror where Toler is. That would put him about 3-4 yards underneath the route being run by Hartline. If Rhodes had stayed over the top it makes it a very difficult throw to make, as you can see from where Toler is playing and where Wilson would be over the top of Bess. If the defensive backs play this coverage correctly Tannehill probably checks down to Bush or the Fullback for a 5-7 yard gain and a second and short.

In summary - Blown Coverage by both Patrick Peterson and Kerry Rhodes, Catch was made in zone that should have been occupied by Rhodes, but he bit down on Davonne Bess who was running free. The initial misread by Peterson is what creates the resulting poor play from Rhodes (Peterson sticks to his assignment on Bess and then passes him off to Wilson, Rhodes likely never bites on Bess because he will already be covered).

Catch and TD allocated to Rhodes because he was responsible for the area the catch was made. Peterson is arguably the biggest culprit here for setting off the chain reaction.

Greg Toler, the man who came in for initial criticism played his coverage perfectly. Wilson is the unlucky man who played his assignment, but also had someone else do that too and had to try and cover.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
#1CARDSFAN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Khodder. That play was almost a backbreaker. Glad the Cardinals rallied.
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, hate to post this two topics in a row but in all honesty, this is another play where I feel not having Darnell Dockett in the lineup hurt us, ESPECIALLY with how well he's played this year. You point out that we got great pressure off the edge but because we got pressure in the interior, Tannehill had a nice, clean pocket to step into. Ask yourself, if Darnell Dockett's in the game right there and playing the way he's been playing, does he still have that clean pocket?

I can't say he wouldn't, obviously, but I sure can't say he would have either.
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Khodder and terrific explanation as to what happened. Man I wish we had someone doing this in the Bills forum!

As for DD limiting the success of that play against us...pure speculation. We'll never know and fortunately we won the game anyway. For all the poor play by PP & KR on that snap, it was matched with smart, decisive action by Tannehill...he didn't panic due to the rush or foolishly aim the ball when he had his WR SO. FREAKIN'. WIDE. OPEN! I really wish he wasn't so impressive already! Confused

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
Thanks Khodder and terrific explanation as to what happened. Man I wish we had someone doing this in the Bills forum!

As for DD limiting the success of that play against us...pure speculation. We'll never know and fortunately we won the game anyway. For all the poor play by PP & KR on that snap, it was matched with smart, decisive action by Tannehill...he didn't panic due to the rush or foolishly aim the ball when he had his WR SO. FREAKIN'. WIDE. OPEN! I really wish he wasn't so impressive already! Confused

I disagree. Maybe on the face of itself it's pure speculation but Dockett's play thru 3 weeks cannot be ignored and must be factored in.
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Yibbyl wrote:

I disagree. Maybe on the face of itself it's pure speculation but Dockett's play thru 3 weeks cannot be ignored and must be factored in.

Oh, don't get me wrong...I believe our D would have been helped overall in that game had Dockett been able to play. I was just saying that in that one specific play, we really have no idea. Tannehill did exactly what he was supposed to do and the breakdown(s) in our secondary was(were) so colossal, it significantly added to the likelihood of Miami's success. PP & KR all but gift-wrapped that TD for them!

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
Yibbyl wrote:

Oh, don't get me wrong...I believe our D would have been helped overall in that game had Dockett been able to play. I was just saying that in that one specific play, we really have no idea. Tannehill did exactly what he was supposed to do and the breakdown(s) in our secondary was(were) so colossal, it significantly added to the likelihood of Miami's success. PP & KR all but gift-wrapped that TD for them!

If Dockett was in on that play and got some internal pressure. Would Tannehill have been able to climb up in the pocket with such confidence? He finishes his drop at about the 11 yard line and then makes the throw at close to the 15 yard line. If there is internal pressure there is less of a pocket to step up into. If Tannehill is only two yards higher in the pocket rather than four yards higher Sam Acho is on top of him as the ball is thrown.

The lack of interior pressure gave Tannehill such a huge pocket to step up into that it completely negated the outside pressure we were able to produce on both sides of the line.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
Yibbyl wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
Yibbyl wrote:

If Dockett was in on that play and got some internal pressure. Would Tannehill have been able to climb up in the pocket with such confidence? He finishes his drop at about the 11 yard line and then makes the throw at close to the 15 yard line. If there is internal pressure there is less of a pocket to step up into. If Tannehill is only two yards higher in the pocket rather than four yards higher Sam Acho is on top of him as the ball is thrown.

The lack of interior pressure gave Tannehill such a huge pocket to step up into that it completely negated the outside pressure we were able to produce on both sides of the line.

My thought exactly.

I know what Yibbyl's saying, I can't just automatically assume that Dockett would have made an impact on that particular play BUT, with his current level of play, I don't think that assumption is as crazy as one might originally think.
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
khodder wrote:
Yibbyl wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
Yibbyl wrote:

My thought exactly.

I know what Yibbyl's saying, I can't just automatically assume that Dockett would have made an impact on that particular play BUT, with his current level of play, I don't think that assumption is as crazy as one might originally think.

I understand the logic Khodder explained. And you are right that the possibility of Dockett disrupting that play is far from crazy. Geez...we're chasing "if's" here...hardly productive and impossible to prove! Laughing

Wish I could focus on tonight's game, but I can't even thoroughly enjoy that! Have a family get-together tonight, so I'll have to watch a recording of the game tomorrow. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're definitely chasing IFs. I just think the IF is a lot smaller when you factor in Dockett's current level of play.

He's playing the best football of his life right now IMHO. Best I've ever seen him, ever.
younggun1273

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dockett and Campbell are one of the best 3-4 end combos in the NFL. It looks like Dockett will play tonight, so that is good.

Justo on the sig
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I thought to. When I saw the play. It did not look like Toler was in the wrong on it.

That right I won. Thank you NS922 for the Sig.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good breakdown, just watching the highlights I thought Peterson had a part as well by biting down on Bess.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: