Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Justin Houston: Where does he rank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Justin Houston: Where does he rank Reply with quote

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/10/13/3497504/gifd-up-justin-houston-wrecks-everyone

Here's an article about Chiefs 2nd year OLB. He's been a complete player this year, beasting in each game. How good is he and how does he compare with other OLBs in the league.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
footy_29

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My qualm with ranking him at this stage is his amount of snaps overall and the level of competition when he put up big stats this season. Osemele was abused in Senior Bowl practices by any speed rusher, truly one of the worst OTs there. Zach Strief simply cannot handle speed rushers, and I would think it obvious that some false starts occurred when he had that on his mind.

Justin Houston looks like he is going to keep up the production, and he certainly looks the part, but I am a hesitant to rank him among the top ten 3-4 OLBs at this point.

Clearly ahead
DeMarcus Ware
Terrell Suggs
Clay Matthews III
LaMarr Woodley
Aldon Smith
James Harrison
Tamba Hali
Brian Orakpo (IR)

The next group

Anthony Spencer
Ryan Kerrigan
Sam Acho
Connor Barwin
Justin Houston
Calvin Pace
Robert Mathis
Parys Harralson (IR)

Just too many quality names in there to move him ahead. Connor Barwin is having a slow start, otherwise he would be in the first group. I think there is a pretty good argument that Robert Mathis should be among the top 10, and I think Pace should at least be considered. Add that with Spencer (fringe), and up and comers Kerrigan and Acho, and that's a pretty good group.

Last edited by footy_29 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dogfeet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has 11.5 sacks in his past 10 games, if he keeps up a similar pace then at season's end he may be mentioned with the top tier guys. Nice thing about him is he can do it all, he is not just a pass rusher.
Chiefer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogfeet wrote:
He has 11.5 sacks in his past 10 games, if he keeps up a similar pace then at season's end he may be mentioned with the top tier guys. Nice thing about him is he can do it all, he is not just a pass rusher.

This. Hes a complete player, pass coverage hes on them like glue and is a very stout run defender and can seal the edge. Pass rush hes really athletic, hes got moves, good hands, great motor, and treats tackles like rag dolls when he bull rushes

With each passing game hes becoming better than Hali for me, and i love Hali.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
My qualm with ranking him at this stage is his amount of snaps overall and the level of competition when he put up big stats this season. Osemele was abused in Senior Bowl practices by any speed rusher, truly one of the worst OTs there. Zach Strief simply cannot handle speed rushers, and I would think it obvious that some false starts occurred when he had that on his mind.

Justin Houston looks like he is going to keep up the production, and he certainly looks the part, but I am a hesitant to rank him among the top ten 3-4 OLBs at this point.

Clearly ahead
DeMarcus Ware
Terrell Suggs
Clay Matthews III
LaMarr Woodley
Aldon Smith
James Harrison
Tamba Hali
Brian Orakpo (IR)

The next group

Anthony Spencer
Ryan Kerrigan
Sam Acho
Connor Barwin
Justin Houston
Calvin Pace
Robert Mathis
Parys Harralson (IR)

Just too many quality names in there to move him ahead. Connor Barwin is having a slow start, otherwise he would be in the first group. I think there is a pretty good argument that Robert Mathis should be among the top 10, and I think Pace should at least be considered. Add that with Spencer (fringe), and up and comers Kerrigan and Acho, and that's a pretty good group.

What????

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
dbronx42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:

Clearly ahead
DeMarcus Ware
Terrell Suggs
Clay Matthews III
LaMarr Woodley
Aldon Smith
James Harrison
Tamba Hali
Brian Orakpo (IR)

The next group

Anthony Spencer
Ryan Kerrigan
Sam Acho
Connor Barwin
Justin Houston
Calvin Pace
Robert Mathis
Parys Harralson (IR)

Houston is better than every other player in the group that you listed him with. Him and Kerrigan are very close and at this point I'd take Justin.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Houston is the only recent draft pick of the chiefs that really pissed me off. The man had an elite combine and a great season at Georgia, why he slipped to the third is beyond me. Houston has all the physical tools to be an elite rusher, all he needs is time to develop as a linebacker.

As for ranking him, I would like to see how he finishes this season before I compare him to players who have started a full season.
El ramster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aren't winning no one cares..
See London Fletcher..

Heck of a player. But no one will
Care for him.

BBL
Chiefer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
See London Fletcher..

Care for him.

Doesnt mean Fletcher isnt/wasnt a top player in this league...
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefer wrote:
El ramster wrote:
See London Fletcher..

Care for him.

Doesnt mean Fletcher isnt/wasnt a top player in this league...

It kind of does, actually. Incredible talent will stand out regardless. Joe Thomas has played on a historically bad offense and still gets attention. If Fletcher wasn't riding the "best player to never make the Pro Bowl" momentum for so long he wouldn't get the props he does from some people.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: