Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Haslam: No rash changes when I take over
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drew_Carey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
bruceb wrote:
Blowing everything up mid-season would be stupid. Haslam is not stupid.

Doesn't mean, though, that Holmgren isn't put on a glide path out the door the minute Banner is aboard. Or that he already hasn't picked his HC.

Even if we pull enough wins out of the rest of this season, Shurmur probably is gone at the end of it. Keeping him would be like Holmgren keeping Mangini, with no commitment to him.

My bigger concern is that we don't put all these young players to learn completely new O and D systems.

I know a HC usually wants to pick his own OC and DC, but in this case I would be inclined to insist on one that keeps Childress, Jauron and most/all of their underlyings.

I couldn't agree more, with pretty much all of it.

agree with most as well.
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:

I know a HC usually wants to pick his own OC and DC, but in this case I would be inclined to insist on one that keeps Childress, Jauron and most/all of their underlyings.

The problem with that is no serious HC candidate is going to want to be put in a situation where he has to rely on other people's people. We'd just get another Shurmur
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
Blowing everything up mid-season would be stupid. Haslam is not stupid.

Doesn't mean, though, that Holmgren isn't put on a glide path out the door the minute Banner is aboard. Or that he already hasn't picked his HC.

Even if we pull enough wins out of the rest of this season, Shurmur probably is gone at the end of it. Keeping him would be like Holmgren keeping Mangini, with no commitment to him.

My bigger concern is that we don't put all these young players to learn completely new O and D systems.

Unless the 2013 HC is eitehr currently on the Browns or not signed to a team, that would be one of the DUMBEST moves that Haslam could make.

Also this is pretty lulzy.

get rid of Holmgren because he's terrible, yet keep 90% of the people that Holmgren hired
SOCALBrowns

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can Haslam sit by idly and watch this?? He has to make a move when he takes over. He has to send a message that he means business and sloppiness will not be tolerated.

Shurmur is straight SLOPPY!! He does not have the team prepared for certain times in the game, doesnt understand his personnel and is just simply OVERWHELMED! If you can't see this I don't know what to tell you.

Shurmur is not a rookie head coach. He has had time to show something. He has shown nothing. To the contrary he has regressed.

The talent on this team is there. He needs to do a better job coaching.

Here is my prediction if The Browns lose to Cinci and Indi. Shurmur is gone and Childress takes over as the interim with Gruden coaching next year. Write it down - this is what will happen.
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll believe it when I see it

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

Drew_Carey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCALBrowns wrote:
How can Haslam sit by idly and watch this?? He has to make a move when he takes over. He has to send a message that he means business and sloppiness will not be tolerated.

Shurmur is straight SLOPPY!! He does not have the team prepared for certain times in the game, doesnt understand his personnel and is just simply OVERWHELMED! If you can't see this I don't know what to tell you.

Shurmur is not a rookie head coach. He has had time to show something. He has shown nothing. To the contrary he has regressed.

Here is my prediction if The Browns lose to Cinci and Indi. Shurmur is gone and Childress takes over as the interim with Gruden coaching next year. Write it down - this is what will happen.

Gruden is not coming to Cleveland (and neither is Cower). I wish people would be more realistic about this. Cleveland offers nothing for these coaches.
SOCALBrowns

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew_Carey wrote:
SOCALBrowns wrote:

Gruden is not coming to Cleveland (and neither is Cower). I wish people would be more realistic about this. Cleveland offers nothing for these coaches.

Money is what this is about and Haslam will open up the checkbook. Gruden is a viable candidate for the job. You need to be realistic as well. There is a new committed owner in place and a chance for a revival in Cleveland. There is a plethora of young talent on the roster and another high pick (maybe first overall) coming in 2013. This is now a very very desirable location for a coach that loves a challenge.

Haslam is going to make the Browns a very different team from a marketing standpoint. No logo on the helmet but there will be a marketing blitz like nothing we have seen for the Browns.
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCALBrowns wrote:
Drew_Carey wrote:
SOCALBrowns wrote:

Money is what this is about and Haslam will open up the checkbook. Gruden is a viable candidate for the job. You need to be realistic as well. There is a new committed owner in place and a chance for a revival in Cleveland. There is a plethora of young talent on the roster and another high pick (maybe first overall) coming in 2013. This is now a very very desirable location for a coach that loves a challenge.

Haslam is going to make the Browns a very different team from a marketing standpoint. No logo on the helmet but there will be a marketing blitz like nothing we have seen for the Browns.

Gruden has money... he is making a very good living working once a week doing MNF. Honestly if he voiced his desire to come back he could pretty much go to any team he wanted that needed a coach. I dont realistically see him comming here. He didnt want to come here for Holmgren whom he has coached under and has a very good relationship with I dont see haslam being the owner making that light bulb go on and say HEY IM GOIN TO CLEVELAND!

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

buno67

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:

Gruden has money... he is making a very good living working once a week doing MNF.

well hisTampa Bay money ends at the end of the season ( contract will finally expire) and he will only be making his ESPN money which isnt as good as HC money.

I possibly see Gruden coming back because he will want to make more money and I think he wants to coach again

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCALBrowns wrote:
Drew_Carey wrote:
SOCALBrowns wrote:

Im not even going to bother writing out the dozen reasons why no A list coach is coming to the Browns. SOCAL, no way you truly believe Gruden (or Cower) comes to Cleveland for a paycheck and to relive found memories... I understand being emotional from the losses but, you are smarter than that.
Its akin to saying that Peyton Manning could have come to Cleveland instead of Denver.
bungleodeon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew_Carey wrote:

I do agree with you. Those coaches will not be coming to Cleveland. But Cleveland does offer them something. If they come to Cleveland and win their legacies will be off the chart. Either one of these guys comes to Cleveland, turns the franchise around, then wins a SB or even gets to a SB in 5-6 years, it could turn them from good former coaches to all time greats.

Again, they aren't going to risk it, but it could make their careers truly great. I don't view either guy as a great all time head coach. Just my view, and I think there are a lot of other people that seem them as very good coaches, but not amongst the elite.
SOCALBrowns

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew_Carey wrote:
SOCALBrowns wrote:
Drew_Carey wrote:
SOCALBrowns wrote:

Im not even going to bother writing out the dozen reasons why no A list coach is coming to the Browns. SOCAL, no way you truly believe Gruden (or Cower) comes to Cleveland for a paycheck and to relive found memories... I understand being emotional from the losses but, you are smarter than that.
Its akin to saying that Peyton Manning could have come to Cleveland instead of Denver.

Not being emotional at all. I am saying that Haslam did not spend 1 billion dollars to watch this team struggle mightily with a weak head coach. He will bring a leader in. A coach that has experience and is prepared to win.

Haslam has to look at Miami, Indianapolis and St. Louis and just be pissed. Those teams are young and with new head coaches and rookies at important positions and they are getting quality WINS. That is what its about.

It can be done. The Dolphins, Rams and Colts are proving that wins should not be soooo elusive. Shurmur has made HORRIBLE adjustments. Haslam will come out with everything he has to get a good coach in Cleveland to protect his 1 billion dollar investment.
Drew_Carey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCALBrowns wrote:
Drew_Carey wrote:
SOCALBrowns wrote:
Drew_Carey wrote:
SOCALBrowns wrote:

Not being emotional at all. I am saying that Haslam did not spend 1 billion dollars to watch this team struggle mightily with a weak head coach. He will bring a leader in. A coach that has experience and is prepared to win.

Haslam has to look at Miami, Indianapolis and St. Louis and just be pissed. Those teams are young and with new head coaches and rookies at important positions and they are getting quality WINS. That is what its about.

It can be done. The Dolphins, Rams and Colts are proving that wins should not be soooo elusive. Shurmur has made HORRIBLE adjustments. Haslam will come out with everything he has to get a good coach in Cleveland to protect his 1 billion dollar investment.

Im not a fan of Shurmur either, but Im also not a fan of change just for change. You want someone better than Shurmur (not that Im disagreeing) but we are not getting a top tier coach. Saying we are going to get a coach that "wants to win and has experience" doesnt narrow it down much. There is a very small pool of HC candidates in the NFL and none are miracle makers.

Jauron is great candidate. Has experience. Keeps the defensive side of the ball systems in place (no major roster turnover), and can retain Chilly if they choose. Or, bring in a more dynamic offensive coordinator as I would like to see.

But be careful wanting a complete change... it could quickly turn into nuking the roster which is already hanging on by a thread.
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy just bought himself a nice humble home to aid in his overhaul of the Factory of Sadness.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2012/10/new_cleveland_browns_owner_jim.html

It will happen some day. Not sure when.
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew_Carey wrote:
SOCALBrowns wrote:
Drew_Carey wrote:
SOCALBrowns wrote:

What connection does Manning have to Cleveland?

Gruden grew up a Browns fan. Cowher played here. I see no reason the Browns are any less likely than any other team to land their services if they want to coach again next season.

Francona had a pretty nice gig at ESPN as well, and the Indians aren't in much better shape than the Browns, but his personal connection to the team seems to have played a factor in wanting to manage here.

Same could be true for the Browns.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: