Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DT Randy Starks named AFC Defensive Player of week 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: DT Randy Starks named AFC Defensive Player of week 5 Reply with quote

Quote:
#Dolphins DT Randy Starks was named AFC Defensive Player of week 5.

http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/256030254613807104
Tom Brady Tribute
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/article-1/Starks-Named-AFC-Defensive-Player-Of-The-Week/1636e08e-f226-4189-9385-63757f655735

Well deserved....the guy has been playing at a very high level all season...
cddolphin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to him.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't Wake the player of the week last week?

I have a question. We have all been talking about how much we need to improve the pass rush and we need better safeties, and this is an average defense at best. A lot of people laughing at some others who might think this is a top 5 defense. So my question is this. How would you rank our defense now? I'm personally in the camp of 7 or 8 in the NFL. And let me explain why...

We currently rank very high on a bunch of major defensive categories.

Sacks (Thought to be a major weak point): 7th
Interceptions: 5th
Passer Rating: 9th
Completion percentage: 4th
Rushing YPQ: 1st
Rushing YPC: 1st and it's not even close
PPG (a lot of field goals on short field turnovers and even a pick 6): 12th

If you go by stats alone, then I think you could almost make the argument we could be ranked as high as 5th or 6th. But other than Houston we haven't really played a ton of high octane offenses yet. I'd like to see how we end up doing against teams like NE before declaring this a 5th or 6th rated defense. But to argue it isn't top 10 is lunacy in my opinion. I would say at worst number 1 against the run and average against the pass.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:

No, Chargers LB Donald Butler received the award.
Tom Brady Tribute
JCool333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:

I have a question. We have all been talking about how much we need to improve the pass rush and we need better safeties, and this is an average defense at best. A lot of people laughing at some others who might think this is a top 5 defense. So my question is this. How would you rank our defense now? I'm personally in the camp of 7 or 8 in the NFL. And let me explain why...

If you go by stats alone, then I think you could almost make the argument we could be ranked as high as 5th or 6th. But other than Houston we haven't really played a ton of high octane offenses yet. I'd like to see how we end up doing against teams like NE before declaring this a 5th or 6th rated defense. But to argue it isn't top 10 is lunacy in my opinion. I would say at worst number 1 against the run and average against the pass.

Our lack of stepping up when it counts (against Arizona and the Jets) and our porous pass defense keep us out of that category until we face a real offensive challenge again (like the Texans). Had Andy Dalton been a tad more accurate, that would have been a loss this week, as he had open targets.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCool333 wrote:
bpastermack wrote:

Our lack of stepping up when it counts (against Arizona and the Jets) and our porous pass defense keep us out of that category until we face a real offensive challenge again (like the Texans). Had Andy Dalton been a tad more accurate, that would have been a loss this week, as he had open targets.

While I agree on them needing to step up when it counts, although you could argue they just did step up twice this week. And if you remember they got the stop against the Jets in overtime, before we drove down and missed the field goal. Then they got the stop against Arizona I think before we drove down and fumbled giving them the ball on the 50 yard line needing only about 15 yards to get in field goal range.

But the pass defense is not as porous as many think. That is proven by the completion percentage we allow. All defenses look porous like that. If not then other teams would only be completing 30% of their passes. There is room for improvement on that end, but like I said, I wouldn't call them any less than average in that category, and our run defense is number 1 in the NFL.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pass defense definitely isn't porous. Teams throw more against the Dolphins than any other team in the league. They're 4th in completion percentage against and 13th or so in yards per attempt. It's the product of a run defense that renders running the ball futile. It distorts the numbers. They're still not a great pass defending team, but they're not bad.
phinmun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpticon wrote:
The pass defense definitely isn't porous. Teams throw more against the Dolphins than any other team in the league. They're 4th in completion percentage against and 13th or so in yards per attempt. It's the product of a run defense that renders running the ball futile. It distorts the numbers. They're still not a great pass defending team, but they're not bad.

Agreed. Good point.

I think that it's safe to say that while the run-defense might be approaching 'elite' status if they keep it up, what's keeping the unit as a whole from being recognized league-wide as a complete force of utter destruction and terror is a pass defense that's still a 'bend but don't break' type of scheme.

I mean, AJ Green didn't kill us, but a 50+ yard day with a TD score is not exactly being held out of the ball-game by any measure. The day we hold average QBs to pedestrian yards with no TDs and hold the elites to under 300 yards and no more than a single TD is the day we'll be damn impressive.

Right now, we're good enough to win if the opponent isn't elite and our offense doesn't completely sputter. Nothing more, nothing less.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:

Some updated numbers to chew on after another solid defensive performance. Could have been better but I'll say solid...

Sacks (Thought to be a major weak point): 4th Up 3 spots and climbing
Interceptions: 9th just an interception away from being tied for 5th again
Passer Rating: 8th up one spot and climbing.
Completion percentage: 5th
Rushing YPQ: 5th
Rushing YPC: 3rd Saw drops in these numbers, I think they are trying to find more balance on defense by scheme
PPG (a lot of field goals on short field turnovers and even a pick 6): 9th and climbing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And other than the first game against Houston the most points allowed in a game during regulation was 21 by Arizona

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: