Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jared Allen, what up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Jared Allen, what up? Reply with quote

Since entering the league in 2004, Jared Allen has collected 107 sacks, more than any player. He's led the NFL in sacks twice -- no player in league history has done that three times -- and he's a lock to record the second-most sacks by any player through his first nine seasons, trailing only the great Reggie White.

Allen: "This league is built on what have you done for me lately. No matter what you did the year before, you've got to come out and do it again or otherwise you're really no value to anybody. There are certain things I can control. I can control how good of condition I'm in and I can control wanting it more than the other guy. If I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get the quarterback, if I'm willing to do whatever it takes to beat my guy, I'm going to win more than I lose. I'm not a blazing fast guy. I'm not an overpowering guy. I'm a leverage-technique guy. That's how I rush. If my technique is better than yours, I will win the majority of the time. You've just got to know your strengths."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/172730091.html?refer=y

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Klomp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFL Network interview: http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/NFL_Network_Jared_Allen_on_NFL_AM/b17e2762-a3b1-427c-b234-b4138e82f33a

Discusses: RG3, Early season Vikings MVP, Team expectations, The Brian Cushing injury, etc
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was shocked to hear that JA now has recorded a sack in 5 consecutive games.
Nozizaki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, he really seemed to be having a down year, but he has picked up his play lately, I guess? He always has a monster game where he gets multiple sacks late in the season.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think it shows how good Jared is when he has 6 sacks in 7 games and a majority of people including me feel like he is not having a good year.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nbanflguy wrote:
Yeah I think it shows how good Jared is when he has 6 sacks in 7 games and a majority of people including me feel like he is not having a good year.

Agreed, all the attention is going to Watt and Matthews now. Allen is still having a steady year.
LostRoadStone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with Allen is that his sacks are coming on 1st or 2nd down. He's not getting the pressure that we need him to on 3rd down when it counts.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostRoadStone wrote:
My problem with Allen is that his sacks are coming on 1st or 2nd down. He's not getting the pressure that we need him to on 3rd down when it counts.

I would guess that might have a lot to do with the offensive design. I would anticipate that on third down, most teams expect the Vikes pass rushers to tee off so they might call more 3 step drops and might use an extra TE as a blocker.
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Last season, Vikings defensive end Jared Allen recorded a near-NFL record 22 sacks. This season, Allen has seven sacks. So, what's going on?

According to Fox Sports' Jay Glazer, Allen has played all season with a torn labrum in his shoulder. Though he hasn't missed a practice, the injury might be affecting the quality of his play.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21232384/report-jared-allen-has-played-season-with-torn-labrum-in-shoulder

Good Luck Chris Cook.
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^That injury has to be playing a role. I still don't think he's having a particularly down year. We saw him have a legendary year last year, so the bar is rather high for this season. By season's end we will probably look more favorably upon his performance.

Peppers90 on the sig.
[UMN]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
^That injury has to be playing a role. I still don't think he's having a particularly down year. We saw him have a legendary year last year, so the bar is rather high for this season. By season's end we will probably look more favorably upon his performance.

for the amount of money he is making it is absolutely reasonable to say this is a down year. He gets the occasional sack, but he isn't getting as many hurries as in previous years and makes zero plays against the run.

Now the injury is clearly a factor here, but regardless this is a down year.
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:

for the amount of money he is making it is absolutely reasonable to say this is a down year. He gets the occasional sack, but he isn't getting as many hurries as in previous years and makes zero plays against the run.

Now the injury is clearly a factor here, but regardless this is a down year.

I can agree with that. What I'm trying to say is that he's not having a particularly down year. For his usual standards, it has not been a memorable one, but he is still fairly consistent with the sack production, and he has made some stops in the run game from time to time. I can definitely see where you're coming from, though. It would have been great to have him excel the way he has in past years.

Peppers90 on the sig.
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, yeah ... it comes out that he's got an injury and boom -- 1.5 sacks.

He should've had another earlier in the game . . . that said, anyone notice that opponents typically change their game plan to short drops and quick passes when playing the Vikes?

Allen gets more doubles and chips than anyone in the league -- he's going to have less production regarding sack numbers if you look at those two aspects of the game. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: