Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Late Wednesday Afternoon-ish Quarterback: Week 5
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Late Wednesday Afternoon-ish Quarterback: Week 5 Reply with quote

LATE WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON-ISH QUARTERBACK
(not always on Wednesdays)

2012 NFC: Deepest Conference Ever? Greatest Conference Ever?

by GaTechRavens

No one in the NFC sucks.

Not a single team. I’m not even kidding.

Looking through the NFC's dominance so far and the general talent level it was perceived to have before the season, the NFC has depth from 1 to 16 that I simply have never witnessed before. It has been remarkably competitive from top to bottom, with few clear answers as to what teams are superior to one another.

So it begs the question: is the 2012 NFC on track to be the greatest conference in NFL history?

If we’re focusing on winning percentage, that will ride entirely on the NFC’s performance against the AFC. The highest cumulative winning percentage of all time came from the AFC in 2004, when they went 44-20 in inter-conference games. That’s a difficult pace to maintain, but the NFC (10-4 so far) is on the right track.

With this kind of assertion, of course, comes the need for historical context. Looking through every conference simply by performance every year, these were the ones which struck me as being the most impressive.

1970 NFC: 95-80-7, half of conference finished with 5 or fewer losses (14 game schedule), only 3 teams finished worse than 6-8

1975 AFC: 94-88, 6 teams finished 10-4 or better, 4 teams finished 3-11 or worse

1979 AFC: 122-102, 9 teams finished with winning records, only 2 teams finished worse than 7-9

1991 NFC: 119-105, 8 teams finished 10-6 or better

1995 NFC: 123-117, only 3 teams finished worse than 7-9, worst team finished 4-12

1999 AFC: 136-120, 3 teams finished 13-3 or better, only 4 teams finished worse than 8-8

2004 AFC: 140-116, 4 teams finished 12-4 or better, no team finished worse than 4-12

2006 AFC: 136-120, 4 teams finished 12-4 or better, only 5 teams finished worse than 8-8

The answer to this question depends on what we value more. Do we place a special emphasis on the best teams? If so, the 1975 AFC is awfully hard to beat. However, with a large number of downright putrid teams sharing space with the powerhouses, the AFC that year did not possess a large quantity of quality teams. If we emphasize depth, the AFCs of 2004 and 2006 may emerge as the favorites, with a strong combination of elite teams and not that crappy teams at the bottom of the barrel.

The2012 NFC doesn’t appear to be a great threat to be the most top heavy conference in NFL history, but they’re a serious threat to be the deepest. Only 4 of the NFC’s 16 teams are below .500. It’s lone 0-4 team, the Saints, has only been outscored by 20 points.

That begs the question: are there actually any bad teams out there? Bad is subjective in so many ways, but consider this: is there anyone in that conference you would take, say, Tennessee over? Or Oakland? Cleveland? Jacksonville? Miami? Kansas City? Indy? Maybe even the Jets? That's half of the AFC that, at least on a case by case basis, might not be better than a single team in the NFC. That's ridiculous.

So, who really is "bad"? We thought it could be Arizona. Whoops, they’re 4-0. Minnesota was an easy choice. Nope, 3-1. People thought it could be the Bucs or Rams – and they still might be, but both teams have been competitive bad up to this point

The worst point differential among any team is Carolina, whose -29 is surpasses by 4 teams in the AFC. Over a full season, that projects to -116: bad, but it would be the single best point differential for the worst team in a conference since 1994 (the 4-12 LA Rams were only -100).

If there is any team that keeps up a bad record and differential for the year, it’s most likely Carolina. Cam Newton and his 9.gazillion YPA are trying their best to lift them up, but the defensive talent is so spotty that they’re not likely to climb much further than they did last year. The Buccaneers have looked a good 1-3, if such a concept exists. The Lions have struggled but are thought to be too talented to maintain such a pace. The Saints are 0-4, but we know better than to expect that to keep up.

The NFC clearly has depth we haven’t seen in a long time. What stands in the way of them potentially being the best conference of all time is the possible lack of top end teams. The Falcons seem to be pretty safely planted in that territory, but if they coast to something like a 12-4 record that won’t be enough for the best team in the conference. A lot of the teams relied on as potential elites have faltered early in the year. A team like the Packers or Giants will have to soar. While the AFCs of the mid-2000s lacked the depth the NFC currently has, they were annually sending 12-4 teams to the wild card round. The NFC had a 13-3 wild card team last year, but doesn’t have that kind of elite depth even with the potential clearly being there. If they can fill that gap, all I can say is look out.

Homefield Advantage: Far From a Myth
by Poster X

Homefield advantage. It's something you hear in every sport; from football, to baseball, to basketball, to even that thing we Americans call soccer (I've never seen it but I can only assume it to be real). But what is homefield advantage exactly? Does it really serve a benefit at all, or is it simply something hometown fans lean on as a post of hope when their team is up against the ropes.

Through 4 weeks in 2012 we have yet to see a week where the home team finished the weekend with a collective losing record. Week 2 really highlighted the point, as 14 of 16 home teams were the victors, the only two away winners being the Houston Texans at Jacksonville (duh) and the Arizona Cardinals shocking the Patriots (who have a track record for being dominant at home, mind you). We have seen 17 home upsets thus far in 2012 in only 4 weeks, those upsets being determined by Vegas oddsmakers. We have already seen countless home teams win games that they were practically ruled out in. Minnesota taking down San Francisco. The Raiders stunning the Steelers. The Seahawks upsetting the Cowboys, and countless other examples. It is no secret that it is difficult to win at home.

But why is that? Is it as simple as playing in an area in which you are comfortable? I think that is certainly part of it. While these players do not practice on the field in which they play, they do suit up for 8 games a year there. Familiarity breeds comfortability, and quite frankly, when you're comfortable you're more successful in just about any aspect of life. But I don't think that's the heart of the discussion. Could it truly be that the large entity known as "the fans" can have such a major impact on a game of 11 versus 11?

When I watch my team I see a level of excitement at home that is noticeably lacking when they are on the road. The support of the fans is a bloodline, it's a source of energy that is truly incalculable. However, it's not just the players that the home crowd is effecting. Nope. What many may not realize is that they also alter the way a referee will call a game, and I don't believe it's a voluntary response. Referees, and make sure you're sitting down for this because it's pretty revolutionary, are humans too. And as humans, it is in their nature to seek approval from those close to them. And I'm talking literally close, as in proximity.

Freakonomics did a study on this very topic and found that, since 1966, NFL home teams have won nearly 58% of their games. Now, that's nothing compared to the 69.1% seen in MLS (wait, what?), but you can pretty much get the jist of where we're going with this. It's no coincidence that Seattle, a team renowned for their homefield advantage, is undefeated at home (well....sorta) whilst not winning a single game on the road. Minnesota has won both home games they've had to open the season, despite being underdogs in both of them according to some.

Going on the road is no easy task. West coast teams have a clear disadvantage when traveling east for away games. Cold Hard Football Facts interviewed a group of scientists that found an athlete's peak time for performance, based on circadian rhythm, was late afternoon. This is a big reason why West coast teams have such an abysmal overall record traveling to the East coast, considering they are playing roughly 4 hours prior to peak performance time. Of the 32 teams in the league, over half (17) lie on the East coast of the country. Only 6 times are found on the West coast, with 4 of those being true Pacific teams. Cold Hard Football Facts broke the 32 teams into 4 regions and did data on their win % at home versus the road. Not so surprising, it was found that from 2007-2011 nearly every region won roughly 56% of their home games. What might be a little more surprising? East coast and Central timezone teams both win roughly 44% of their away games, whereas the 6 teams on the West won only 38%! That 6% may not seem like a huge number, but considering there are only 16 games in a season that is 1 win being favored to East/Central teams over West teams. It's just another prime example that homefield advantage is very, very real. This may very well explain upsets such as Minnesota defeating San Francisco this season. San Diego is another prime example for this timezone disadvantage. Over the past 4 years the team win 42% of their games when playing at 10 AM Pacific. However, move that game up to the 1 o'clock hour, and you'll see that the Chargers win over 53% of their games.

Now, I'm no fan of the Western region, but it's clear that they are at a significant and predictable disadvantage when playing early on the Central and East coast. East teams have a sizable advantage playing at home in these circumstances, and it's time the league takes notice to insure an equal playing field.

The Best You've Never Heard Of
by khodder

Richie McCaw is arguably the greatest Rugby Union player to ever lace up a pair of boots and step onto the field and at least is the best player to step on the field since the turn of the millennium.

At every level of the game he has found nothing but extended levels of success, playing in one of the most physically demanding positions on the field, McCaw has forged a long career spanning over a decade punctuated with trophies, awards and recognition.

His leadership is second to none on the rugby field, he leads both vocally and by example, he puts his body on the line every minute of every game that he is on the field. Domestically he has won every title there is multiple times captaining his team to wins for many of them. But what pushes McCaw over the top is his attitude, it is never about him, it is always the team, we played well as a unit, even when it is breaks or plays made by him that directly lead to points and wins it is still the unit and team that comes to the fore. McCaw has played in 110 test matches for the All-Blacks and has been on the winning side in 98 of them, he has been the captain of the team on 73 occasions, winning 65 of them. He has his detractors, those in the media that claim he is a cheat, but he does what he can get away with under each referee, he will test the boundaries, find them and then stay within what the referee will allow him to do. His success spans past that of just a team; The IRB International Player of the Year award has been handed out since 2001, McCaw has won the award three times (2006, 2009, 2010), no other player has been nominated for the award more than the three times, McCaw has been nominated seven.

McCaw more often than not leaves the field bleeding, battered and bruised, he leads men into battle and they willingly follow his example, last year he led his team into battle in a World Cup Final and came out on the winning end. His influence on the field is immeasurable; his humble personality has led him to turning down a knighthood while he is still an active player. Put simply, no one man has ever achieved as much in rugby at the elite level as Richie McCaw, the best to ever play the game.

Musings from a Mod
How Vince Young wasted his money... OR ...the time ET nearly got into a fight with Titans RB LenDale White.

(Get comfy, this one might run a bit long).

Ok, now my last run on LWAIQB was more or less a reflection, a review of how this former bar/club bouncer and wildman has been reverted to family man, loving husband and overjoyed daddy. Most of my recollection worth discussing comes from my college days (which lasted from Summer, 1998 - Spring 2004; Yeah, in the time it takes some folks to become doctors, I got a friggin Bachelors degree with a "minor" in Finance). This story comes from the post-college days; ET had been in tight with one of the top banks in the nation for about 2-3 years, was still living with the parents and getting a nice paycheck, which was spent on ETs old G35, and a lot of booze. Life tasted so good, when it hit my lips back then.

Anywho - It was a random Friday at the office, and my two running buddies at work were looking to get happy hour started early; Michael Bolton and Berto were both looking to get out, and ET was looking to join in the fun. In this office, we were the only 20ish folks here; MB is about six months younger than me, and Berto was about three years older, and was just coming out of a divorce, and he didn't have his kids that weekend, so he was looking to do things that the single, kidless folks do (of which he did better than most of us in that respect. Dude had iron kidneys and a titanium liver). So, I give my besties Frog and Manolo a call - they're in as well. The wolfpack was made for the night, and crazy stuff was gonna go down.

We all meet together at Watsons (Watsons and Baker Street will be two places that get free publicity over the next few weeks, if all goes to plan) and for some strange reason, we all feel like bowling is a need for the night. Get fuzzy, throw a heavy ball at wooden pins - yeah, this was a good idea. We ice off a few pitchers, and we head off to Dave and Busters on I-10 and Sibler (for those of you who are familiar with the lay of the city of Houston). When we get there, the place is kinda empty; There were some decorations, looks like the place was getting prepped for something. When we start inquiring about lanes, we're told the lanes were due to be shut down at 8 PM, due to a private party. Bummer, we all think...but there is a bar right next to the lanes, so we all saunter up and order a drink, looking to gameplan on where to next.

While we're discussing where to go next (Berto is campaigning for one of the many Houston area gentlemen's establishments, and the idea is gaining steam amongst us) Frog taps me on the shoulder, frantically.

"Dude, I think that's Javon Kearse over there."

I look over to where he's signaling - and it's a HUGE guy standing there. HUGE. Arms were bigger than my thighs HUGE. In all of my TV watching, I remember that Kearse was a bit smaller compared to his opponents and teammates, so I dismiss it. Frog is adamant that it is him, the group is called in to confirm, and the verdict was reached: It WAS Javon Kearse. Given that I had doubted the first time (and given my idiot savant-like recollection of football) I am the one elected to go and say hello. Recalling that Kearse was a Titans player at the time (he had just been cut from the Eagles and picked up by the Titans again, if memory serves me correct) I knew that talking about the Titans would NOT end well. So, I recall that Kearse was a former Florida Gator, and arm myself with that knowledge. Mind you - I really don't care for the Gators. At all. In fact, I don't care about any teams in CFB, not that much anyways. But, time to put on the Gator shades and make a go at this.

ET: Um...hi. Are you Javon Kearse?
Kearse: Yeah man! What's up homie!
ET: Oh WOW! Wow man, I'm a HUGE Florida Gators fan! I loved you in Tallahasee! (Yes, I'm tipsy).
Kearse: Aw, thanks homie! It was actually Gainsville.
ET: Oh...yeah! Yeah man! Go Gators!
Kearse: Blue and Orange baby!
ET: Yeah, Blue and Orange! YEAH!
Kearse: Aight homie, I'mma say sup to a few folks, and I'll come back at you and we'll have a drink together, cool?

Speechless, I was. I'm about to do a jagerbomb with a former All Pro DE, one of the most dangerous DEs in the NFL! I quickly run back to the pack, tell 'em how it went down; They're all excited (I don't think MB knew who Kearse was, but he was happy that we're getting free booze). True to his word, Kearse walks up with a few ladies. You would think NFL players would be hanging out with 10s across the board, but 10s these women were NOT. Eh, no harm. Kerarse asks us what we're shooting down, we tell him jagerbombs, he orders for us as well as his new group - like 14 shots in total. Now - I think it goes without saying that I'm pretty sloshed at this time. Words come out of my mouth without going through the whole "thinking" process, and in the course of our drink, we're talking about how we want him to be nice to Matt Schaub (to which he had an interesting reply) and the bill comes out for the drinks we had originally ordered (lotta Black Label and Grey Goose) along with the shots. Without hesitation, Kearse breaks out his CC - an American Express Black Card. For those who listen to Jay Z, you know what a Black Card is. The pack is quietly commenting amongst ourselves...except me. My mouth opens before my brain could think:

"...wow man, you got a BLACK Card! You must get PAID!"

Our group is in silence after that statement. When you hang out with someone who has THAT much money, you don't need to point out that they have THAT much money. I had committed a faux pas of the highest order, and the whole group - my pack as well as the sub 5s that Kearse had in tow - were just looking at me. Kearse gave me a look, smiled that awkward smile you smile when someone says something dumb, and proceeded to sign the check. I wanted to find a hole to bury myself in for a few days. The silence is finally interrupted by the manager of the D&B, telling us that we're not on the guest list and we had to go; In a show of how awesome he is, Kearse waves off the manager, telling him that we're part of his entorage. YEAH BUDDY! Around that time, Frog asks Kearse what's going on, and we get the lowdown: The whole bowling alley was rented out by Titans QB Vince Young for his birthday. (Given his current financial situation, I think it holds some relevance). Not only was Kearse there, but SEVERAL NFL and NBA athletes were on the guest list. Everywhere we looked, we saw a player up close and personal: Young, Keith Bullock, Bo Scaife, Michael Huff, Shawn Marion of the Phoenix Suns, Quentin Richardson of the Suns (I think he was with the Suns back then) Andre Johnson (one of many encouners with Johnson, actually) Cedric Benson (this would be the first of two meetings with Benson - more on this later) Kasey Studdard (again, first of two, which is good - when I saw Studdard, I mistook him for Kyle Vanden Bosch, and you could tell he wasn't too pleased with it) and finally...the man at the center of the story, RB LenDale White.

(If you made it this far, good for you. I'm proud of you).

I see White, point him out to the crew - guy is wearing a chain with a diamond encrusted medallion that's bigger than my face. HUGE. He's just sitting there hanging out, and I walk up to him and extend my hand to shake. "LenDale White!" I say, and you can see he's somewhat happy someone can recognize him. Amongst the rest of these athletes, he's short and kind of fat - really didn't fit with the rest of the guys. Eh, still - guy was a monster at USC, and I wanted to tell him how I really admired his game back in college. So, while shaking his hand, I start off "Even though I'm a Texans fan..."

And suddenly, White pulls his hand away, gives me a sneering look, and walks off. Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot. What a pompous jerk! Tipsy ET is FUMING at this blatant show of disrespect, and walks back to the pack to tell them this. The pack agree, this guy was a jerk. They also see a chance to goad ET into a bad decision. "Go tell him he's a jerk!" says Manolo. In ETs mind, this is a good idea. So...the plan was in motion.

I see White go into the men's room, talking away on his cell phone. I follow suit. While in the men's room, I hear him saying "Yeah, he's a very fast guy, very different from my running style. I think he's going to compliment me well, we'll be able to do go things together." White was doing an interview over the phone, talking about the newest Titans RB, Chris Johnson. My time to speak my mind has come, as he cannot say anything bad while on the phone with the media. I wait for a lull in his conversation, walk up to him, give him a one finger salute and say "[REMOVED] you, you [REMOVED] fat [REMOVED]!"

It was split second after the last [REMOVED] that I realized I had made a HORRIBLE mistake.

White is an NFL RB, big strong and fast. I am a desk jockey, small, weak and slow. No matter how fast I think I can run, White is FASTER than me. No matter how many punches I think I can throw, he can throw more, harder punches. I have four guys with me, all of varying size and ability (MB is big on the guns, but he didn't drive, so he wasn't armed). He is surrounded by guys who have bled on the field of battle known as the gridiron with him. If I don't leave - and leave NOW - he is going to kill me, with relative ease. Still bewildered by my comments, White is slow to react initially, which gives me the time to head on out of the bathroom. I throw up the signal of "I'm about to get HURT, I need to get out of here NOW!" but...my signal is ignored, as Berto is now making moves on some of the sub 5s, Frog and Manolo are worshipping the ground that AJ is standing on, and MB is just standing there. I signal again. And again. I see the bathroom door open - I'm sure that if I don't make a move now, I am going to be smeared on the floor. I grab Frog and Manolo and make my way to the door, texting MB and Berto that we're at a code red and I need to make myself scarse quickly.

I make it outside, and by then...there's a crowd of folks in front of D&B. I work to get lost in the crowd, with Manolo and Frog cursing me out for taking them away from that scene. Manolo actually tried to get back IN, screaming at the front door guy "I'm with Javon Kearse! GET JAVON KEARSE, HE'LL TELL YOU!" the whole time. Alas, we didn't get back in, MB and Berto meet us outside a few minutes later...it was about this time the whole wolfpack was snarling at me; We were amongst NFL and NBA royalty, and I screwed it up by trying to pick a fight with one of them. I called Manolo out for suggesting my course of action, and he's quick to respond "I didn't think you'd DO it!" and...I quickly remember how close we were to heading to a gentleman's establishment. I quickly make amends with the group by offering to pay for cab fare to our club of choice...and order is restored amongst the pack.

That was back in 2008, if memory serves me correct. Later on that year, we ran into several Texans at the Houston Rockets/Utah Jazz playoff game (we managed to luck into courtside seats for that game) I ran into Richardson and NBA MVP Steve Nash at a club in Houston, hung out with Studdard on a flight to Vegas (didn't mistake him for KVB this time, either) and a few other things that escape my memory for now. Four years later - married, with a child, happy with the way life is...

...but thinking "How in the hell did I get here!?"

Life-Changing Thoughts

- So, uh, there's this thing going on tonight. It's called playoff baseball, and the Orioles are in it. All I can say is that if I find myself on this website tonight, protect your children. It's going to get ugly regardless of the outcome.

- I didn't get to see much of the Ravens-Browns game, but it was pretty predictable. The Ravens never like to win by more than 10 points.

- I Have Sources Too, Dammit Rumor of the Week: I have a friend who is Jeremy Trueblood's cousin, and from what I've heard he's going to retire at the end of the season. Since I know you were all dying to hear the latest about your favorite right tackle for the Buccaneers....there it is.

- The other day I read Keith Law's review of Trouble with the Curve, which came with a fascinating link about a guy named Tony Lucadello. It's definitely worth a read.

- Also, for some reason his site is called Meadow Party. Don't ask me.

- I just now found out that Stephen Colbert has a new book. OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD

- I want to talk about Chicago. More specifically, its curbs. Why are they so high? Who thought that would be a good idea?

- Wisconsin restaurant I would not recommend trying your first genuine Wisconsin brat at: The Great Dane.

- Remember when you were a kid and you'd get Runts or whatever and always pick out the nasty banana flavored ones? Maybe it's because I have a totally refined and cultured taste now, but those are now the only ones I can eat anymore. For reasons I can't totally explain, it's delicious.

- I'm liking this Cher Lloyd character. Just heard her new album, and I'm not normally a fan of that kind of thing, but she pulls it off.

- So...I saw the Brickleberry premiere last week. All I can say is...that is quite possibly the worst 30 minutes of television I have ever seen. It's not worth explaining.

Shameless Self-Advertisement

We want writers. Please help us.

Also...I'm tossing around the idea of doing an interview series. If there's interest for that from readers and writers alike, I can make it happen.

And on a final note...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good stuff. Always a good read....usually better than garbage you find on ESPN from "experts".

I can write some stuff....depending on what you need exactly. Not sure where to sign up but Im willing to help if needed.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was eating lunch while reading ET's story and nearly spit out my noodles when he confronted LenDale White in the bathroom! Absolute gold! Great read and great article, fellas!

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
ArodFanboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great read. Your first point about the NFC is spot on as well in my opinion. From top to bottom, every team has a lot to be optimistic about right now. I can't ever recall a time before when ranking teams in a conference was this hard.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparknotes - ET has balls the size of Jupiter.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Homefield advantage. It's something you hear in every sport; from football, to baseball, to basketball, to even that thing we Americans call soccer (I've never seen it but I can only assume it to be real). But what is homefield advantage exactly? Does it really serve a benefit at all, or is it simply something hometown fans lean on as a post of hope when their team is up against the ropes.

Sorry, this isn't on topic, but I just wanted to point something out that is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Soccer is a term that originated in England, short for Association [Football]. Just ticks me off because it seems like many somewhat pretentious people like to lament Americans calling it that.

Edit - For those wondering...

Quote:
Americans are brushed off with incisive statements like, how can we take you seriously? You don't even call it ‘football’ as the rest of the world does. This of course ignores that Hungarians and Italians do not call the sport football, and everybody takes the Italians seriously and everyone once took Hungarian soccer very seriously, especially England. Much of the non-British English-speaking world does not call the sport football. It is not called football in South Africa, and the Australian national team is not nicknamed the football-roos, they are the soccer-roos.

Soccer's etymology is not American but British. It comes from an abbreviation for Association Football, the official name of the sport (for those of you who have never heard the team "Association Football" before, it was named after the Football Association, which still governs English soccer, to differentiate itself from the other major type of football, Rugby Football, which was named after the Rugby School. FIFA, the world governing body of soccer, is French for the International Federation of Association Football… F-I-F-A). For obvious reasons, in the 1880s and 1890s, English newspapers couldn't use the first three letters of Association as an abbreviation in their pages, so they took the next syllable, S-O-C. With the British penchant for adding "-er" at the end of words: punter, footballer, copper, and, of course, nicknaming rugby, "rugger," the word "soccer" was soon born, over a hundred years ago, here in England, the home of soccer. We adopted it and kept using it because we have our own indigenous sport that we call football.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/rss/transcripts/worldcup2006a.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good read, especially loved ETs little story.

~Bird Watch 2014 | Nick Foles~
1,628 yards, 10 TDs, 7 INTs, 82.0 Passer Rating
chris00cm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, good point on the NFC conference as a whole. Didn't even realize most of the bad teams are in the AFC until you pointed it out. Good reads guys!

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That story is awesome ET. Absolute gold.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
swoosh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome read. Loved the ET story. Lucky SOB.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
sparknotes - ET has balls the size of Jupiter.

Eh. I'd say he makes bad, horrible decisions while drinking. Laughing Good thing he picked someone that ain't very bright.
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. And good read overall. Keep 'em comin'!!
das8929

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, its insane, I've never seen so much talent difference between conferences. You can realistically see any of the Packers, Bears, Cardinals, 49ers, Falcons, Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys in the Superbowl. And Saints if they didn't get suspended. Not to mention the 3-1 Vikings, Seahawks, and Rams don't look like slouches either. Lions have disappointed a bit but they still can be dangerous. The Bucs have been playing tough. The only team I could consider kind of bad are the Panthers. Crazy.

Meanwhile in the AFC you got the Ravens who look great one day and so-so another, the Patriots who look 10-6 off this year, the amazing Texans, the junk AFC West where the Chargers have been driven into the ground by AJ Smith, Peyton's mediocre Bronco team, and the hapless Chiefs and Raiders. Bills and Dolphins are bottom feeders as usual, and Jets just are hopeless. Titans and Jaguars are top 5 pick teams, maybe the Colts too. My biggest enigma are the Steelers. I could see them either not making the playoffs or making a big run. Browns are terrible, Bengals are 8-8 mediocre. So there are basically only 4 teams I could possibly making the SB or even being able to beat a top 10 NFC team: Texans, Ravens, Steelers, and Patriots. I don't like the AFC being this terrible, bring me back to 2006 Smile

^props to packerbacker87^
MathMan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read every word.

Makes me proud to be part of this community.

Well done, gents

Power of Veto 8 comp:
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=18740447#18740447
Tooki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That piece on Richie was great Khodder.

I also think that it's a good thing for him to take a year off Rugby after the Four Nations (as he has announced). I want to see him have a chance to win another World Cup.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: