Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How do you view law enforcement in your country?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you view law enforcement agents in your nation?
Positive.
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Neutral.
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Negative.
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 9

x0x

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: How do you view law enforcement in your country? Reply with quote

I had a discussion with an unnamed member of FF today, and his view of police officers was this:

Quote:
Most cops are stupid and power hungry. That's what happens when you give the bottom 3rd of your high school class guns.

The vast majority of cops know really nothing about law, stereotype like crazy, protect each other no matter how far out of line other cops may be, etc.

I wouldn't go so far as to say eliminate them, but the idea that cops have your best interests in mind as a citizen is about as naive as it gets.

I don't understand what the standards are in the other countries but in Canada our police have to go through a very long process. Our "mounties" have an even tougher road.

Anyone who passes through all of that has my utmost respect. At 32 I'm getting at the last line of age acceptance (although there technically isn't a limit, it's prefered to be 25-30) and it takes a lot to get into the force here in Canada.
TommyC376

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most cops are stupid and power hungry. That's what happens when you give the bottom 3rd of your high school class guns.

The vast majority of cops know really nothing about law, stereotype like crazy, protect each other no matter how far out of line other cops may be, etc.

I wouldn't go so far as to say eliminate them, but the idea that cops have your best interests in mind as a citizen is about as naive as it gets.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume this thread wont last long. Stupid comments like the one in the quote bubble probably wont fly here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing against cops, I personally know quite a few and theyre all good people. In my experiences, as long as you arent doing something incredibly stupid/blatant they will generally leave you alone. Cops hate work just as much as anyone else.

Also anyone notice the double standard in the first post? Criticizing cops for stereotyping yet that person stereotyped all cops as being power hungry and stupid

Gmen4ev wrote:

No man should be able to consume the amount of alcohol you do ... therefor you must be an alien
ramssuperbowl99

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In b4 lock.

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
TommyC376

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me like the unnamed poster has a personal grudge against a cop or cops? But it is safe to say he doesnt know what he is talking about.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly, I'm pro cop. For all the obvious reasons. Plus in mostof my encounters with them, they treat you fair and respectfully if you are respectful. But I've seen enough that just hassle you for no reason, or take sides in disputes that it makes my vote neutral.

Free Ray Rice
candyman93

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're like teachers.

You have good cops that know what they're doing and then others, not so much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
Seems to me like the unnamed poster has a personal grudge against a cop or cops? But it is safe to say he doesnt know what he is talking about.
I'm the unnamed poster. I have no grudges against cops - I've gotten pulled over once for speeding and that's it.

The only statement I won't stand by is that "most cops are stupid and power hungry" since that is a blatant generalization. I'll also add that there are a lot of good cops out there, and it's the bad ones that tarnish the reputation of all of them.

The rest of it, yeah I'll stand by (as it applies to American cops).

As for the bottom 3rd of the HS class:
The average IQ for law enforcement (not cops, this includes management, detectives, etc.) is 104. This is marginally higher than the average American IQ (100 to 103) and marginally less than the average high school graduate (105).

Further, the 104 figure is inflated since detectives, management, the FBI, etc. are going to display a higher IQ on average than your ho-hum cop. Depending how much dumber the average cop is than the average higher-up in law enforcement, cops would be somewhere around the 35th to 45th percentile of your HS class.

As for cops knowing nothing about law:
Cops aren't required to know law, otherwise they'd be lawyers. While they know enough to bring people in, there are tons of examples about offices refusing to be recorded when it is absolutely legal to record an officer (there is no expectation of privacy).

Stereotyping like crazy:
I won't touch that one, but will stand by it.

Protect each other:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Code_of_Silence

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
TommyC376

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Yeah wont get into it on here.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This certainly isn't something we need to be discussing on this site.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: